food dehydrator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 domlachhan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Does anyone have a food dehydrator?  What do you use it for?  I have wanted one for ages, and I found one on sale this morning....but I couldn't bring myself to buy it  unsure.gif

I would like to use it to make beef jerky, and to dry/semi dry the tomatoes from my garden - but not sure what else I would use it for and you can only eat so much beef jerky!  What other yummy things could I use it for (besides dried apples or apricots which my kids don't like) that would make it worth the money (and cupboard space it would take up...)?

#2 sir_mix-a-lot

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I don't actually have one, but if you grow bananas or mangoes in your backyard, the dried fruit that they produce is awesome.

A friend also uses hers to dehydrate meals for hiking and camping - curries, bolognese sauce etc.

#3 laridae

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

DH uses it to make jerky.
I use it to dehydrate fruit. Mainly the apples that grow on our trees - but anything that AI get in bulk and buy too much of.
You can also use it to make fruit leathers (like rollups).

#4 Airene

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Common items to use a food dehydrator for are: bananas, strawberries, cherries, apricots and apples as well as dear meat and beef.

You can also use it to dry nuts and seeds soaked in salted water, until these are nice and crispy. The nuts taste better afterwards. Also, dried vegetables are good for future use for soups and stews. If you're a fan of homemade yogurt as I am, you can use a food dehydrator for that.

You can also use it to make granola and coconut macaroons. You can find other recipes online.

Preserving foods this way is better in such a way that you don't have to add sugar, compared to canning.

Edited by Airene, 20 November 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#5 domlachhan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.
iwasthedoctor - I wish I could grow mangoes in my backyard...but unfortunately Canberra is a bit cold  sad.gif   I am envious of anyone who lives somewhere warm enough to have a mango tree!!  We do have heaps of fruit trees though (mainly stone fruit) and I usually bottle the fruit - I could dehydrate them and maybe the kids would each dried peaches?

Airene - I like the idea of using it to dry nuts.  Maybe once our Almond tree gets enough nuts on it we could dry them.  I also like the idea of making yogurt in it.

Off to check out more online recipes....the dried orange slices dipped in dark chocolate almost sound good enough to justify purchasing a dehydrator  biggrin.gif

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

I love dried fruit, plus just think - any home dehydrated fruit wont have any added nasties with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.