Quick question Re anchoring a booster seat

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 azalia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hi there,

I wanted to anchor our booster seat in just for the weekend as we're going on a long drive but I've just noticed it says 'do not use anchor/tether if using seatbelt'. Can anyone tell me why this is? Wouldn't it make the seat safer to anchor it and use a seatbelt?

Thank you.

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

What seat do you have?

By law (ie Australian Standards) any seat which has a mass greater then 2 kgs has to be tethered. Generally only foam boosters and half boosters do not have this (new infa folding traveller is exception).

Eta: if you have been using booster seat you should have had it anchored all this time.

Edited by lsolaBella, 20 November 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#3 azalia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi Isobella,

Thanks for your reply, I have the britax hiliner, which is foam, I've been using it in the third row of my car that doesn't have an anchor point because it is almost impossible to do up the boosters seat belt with two other seats along side it.  I just did it then for the school run and have skinned my knuckles it took me 10 minutes to try to get the seat belt in. I think I'll have to move it back to the 3rd row.

But back to the original question, why does it say to not use a seatbelt with anchor?

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi liner is not foam it is a plastic booster. Foam booster would be an urban or Pegasus.

The foam ones do not come with tether points.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Can you give me model number and what page from instructions you are reading?

#6 Nofliesonme

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

The safe n sound hiliner is not foam it is plastic if it has a tether strap. And unless you have a lap sash seat belt inthe centre this seat shouldn't be in the centre without a h harness which is tethered. Either way that seat should be anchored all the time. To your question mine doesn't say that. Oh sorry third row. My bad

#7 azalia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Thank you for your replies. I find all this a bit confusing.

It is a brand new Hiliner, all I could find is this HI-LINER SG PHANTOM. When you said about the manual though, I got it out too and I think I may have been mistaken, it says in there do not use seatbelt with a versa tether, I had never heard of this or used it but I just googled it and think its something else for floor tethering, not normal tethering.

Ok, so I can anchor it then. Thats good, thank you:) I have now just seen threads about seat belt extenders which could eliminate the problem Im having bucking up the booster seat, but there are mixed reviews about them being safe.  Is it going to be safer using seat belt extenders to a booster in the middle seat second row or having a non tethered booster seat in the third row?

And yes, it is a lap sash belt to the middle seat second row. New car, airbags and proper seats to the third row, though of course not as much space for protection in rear impact crash.

#8 pumpkin89

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Just come back from seat shopping (moving DD1 up when DD3 arrives in April). My understanding is if it has a tether strap / anchor point you must use it, as PP said due to weight issues with chair. Went into baby shop looking for a foam (no tether) seat, as one of our cars doens't have a third anchor point. Was told that these were now illegal in QLD and had to buy the (more expensive) hard plastic seat with anchor point. Was also told at the same time that if a lap only belt is to be used (which is our car in the middle too) then a harness must be used, and these harnesses attach to the strap which then attaches to the anchor point. Dubious that she was just trying to "upsell" me, I checked with the department of transport and was told that all of the above is correct!

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

No PP you have been told a furfy. There are even new plastic folding booster seats which have no anchor point (infa traveller folding booster).
Even half booster seats are still legal. A legal seat must have an Aust stds sticker.

Yes if there is a lap only belt a booster seat must be used with an add on harness which requires an anchor point..... This has always been a requirement.

No I would not use a seatbelt ectender. Also it actually is not a legal use of your seat to use it in the rear row without an anchor point anchoring.

Edited by lsolaBella, 20 November 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#10 azalia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Yes, Pumpkin that is correct, and a H-harness is not as safe as a seatbelt.  rolleyes.gif the whole thing drives me nuts, because there is so much varying info floating around and it is something that should be clear and simple but it is not.

I am trying to do the safest thing for our family and it is frustrating that there are not more car options available considering the new laws force you to use car seats for all children under 7 and there are many familys with 3 kids under 7 requiring car seats.

When I went shopping for a booster seat for DS1, I went to 5 different shops, looking for options as I knew I would likely put it into the third row.  The kmart foam booster has massive wings and the seatbelt will not fit nicely around the seat, It looks ridiculously unsafe. So I took it back. Then I bought the hipod I think,  or another one similar and it didnt have the anitsubmarine clip. So I ended up buying the hiliner as this came with the antisubmarine clip and is reviewed very safe.

Aside from the risks of the booster being in the car non tethered in the event of an accident and it flying around wouldnt it be safer to use the plastic better booster with an antisubmarine clip opposed to a foam booster?  I am going off saftey first, not the legalities.

#11 azalia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Isolabella the legality is frustrating, however the saftey factor is primary for me, so if it were safer to have him in a non tethered hiliner as they do in the US in the third row then I would do this over a foam.

So if its unsafe to use a seatbelt extender and illegal to use a tethered booster in a 3rd row without anchor points then what are the options?

Continue to struggle to get the seatbelt done up on DS1 (and this is a big struggle, not just difficult and it looks rather unsafe as the booster seatbelt is right behind the booster and the middle seat is not as long as the outer two which makes the booster look as if it is not sitting as well on the seat) but have him and the other two children all anchored to the 2nd row, or place DS1 in a foam non tethered booster in the 3rd row. Am I missing something or is that the options available?

#12 BabyBumbleBee

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (azalia @ 20/11/2012, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going off saftey first, not the legalities.

I would think if you cared about safety you'd tether a seat that required to be tethered though? rolleyes.gif

#13 AnotherFeral

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

The seats might fit better if you swap the booster's position with one of the 5 point harnessed seats. Worth trying.

#14 azalia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Of course I would bumblebee if that were a possibility, which I have just asked for options on what I can do. If using a seatbelt extender is also unsafe and yet it's next to impossible to clip a seatbelt in of a booster in the second row, then what am I able to do?  I am searching for information to find out if it were safer to use a foam non tethered in the third row opposed to a hiliner non tethered but cannot find much.  Australia is exceptionally behind on car seat safety so I do not believe the laws here for car seat safety are necessarily the safest, however I am trying to abide by them but it is very limiting on what is available.

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

http://www.infasecure.com.au/product_range...-+The+Traveller

Legal seat for rear row no anchor point.

#16 pumpkin89

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

OP, I'm not sure what state you're in, but I just double checked the QLD Department of Transport website. (See previous post re: dubious upselling). The lady I actually spoke to over the counter (when I was in to renew my licence) must have been a little confused, but from my discussion with her and the website I can gather the following:
1. A lap only seat belt requires a harness
2. You can still buy a foam only booster seat (no tether) but the cushion only types are being phased out.
3. The seat must be installed according to manufacturers' instructions (which includes all anchor straps)

For us, with no anchor point and a lap only belt in the middle, we have decided to pay to get an anchor point installed (about $200). This is because the harness requires an anchor point. So in your situation I think you could either put up with the hassle of buckling in 2nd row, go for the foam (no tether) seat in the 3rd row, but only is the 3rd row has a lap-sash belt, or possibly investigate installing an anchor point in the third row?

#17 azalia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Thank you Isolabella that folding seat looks good, it is higher than the hiliner too which is good as I have very tall children. It is yet to have many reviews though safety wise, but I will definitely have a look.

Thank you Pumpkin, they are lapsash seats in the back row, and unfortunatly I cannot install new anchor points, its a Kluger and Toyota advise against it, otherwise that would have solved all my problems immediatly!! Definitely the best option if you can:)

I did go back out and reconfigure the seats around, and with the booster on the passanger side there is slightly more room to shove the booster over to the door while you do the seatbelt up then pull it back in. Not ideal, but it will work for a while longer till DS1 is out of a booster.

Thank you:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.