Does anyone know what movie this is?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

It's probably from the 80s or even late 70s as I was very young when I watched it with mum. It was about a mother whose daughter chokes to death on an apple, I think the mother tried to slit the girls throat to get the apple out but she dies anyway. Then the mother is haunted by her daughter or thinks she keeps seeing her daughter everywhere. At some point their the movie there is a turtle in a sand pit or something. Possibly someones name is Julia.

Edited by Sunnycat, 21 November 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#2 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 21/11/2012, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's probably from the 80s or even late 70s as I was very young when I watched it with mum. It was about a mother whose daughter chokes to death on an apple, I think the mother tried to slit the girls throat to get the apple out but she dies anyway. Then the mother is haunted by her daughter or thinks she keeps seeing her daughter everywhere. At some point their the movie there is a turtle in a sand pit or something. Possibly someones name is Julia.

That totally rings a bell, but I have no idea what it is.  I will call P later today and ask  original.gif

#3 Sam Wheat

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I just goggled it 'Full circle' with Mia Farrow as Julia.

#4 copham

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

The haunting of Julia?

#5 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I already tried to hijack Sunny's other thread with this, and am going to repost as it has been driving me crazy for months...

Can anyone identify this film, based on these vague details?

Some kind of treasure, ship/boat goes down, woman rescued and nursed back to health (maybe on a Greek island), she is wearing white, she fights someone on a clifftop or beach.

It may have been a dream, but I am pretty sure it was a film. Some kind of action thing?

#6 *Ker*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Maybelle @ 21/11/2012, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some kind of treasure, ship/boat goes down, woman rescued and nursed back to health (maybe on a Greek island), she is wearing white, she fights someone on a clifftop or beach.

Was that some totally ridiculous movie with Madonna as the main character?

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Oh god. I've just looked and yes that is the movie! I was about 5 when I watched it with mum. Can't believe she let me.

Does anyone know this other movie?

It is American. Again possibly 80s. It was about a little girl who did ballet in new York. The last scene was at her dance recital. I remember she was dressed in her costume and so was another girl (they were dressed in the same costume), at one point they are crawling backstage to switch spots at the dance recital.

In the end the girl is on the train going home and it is loud and screeching as they are in the subway and she covers her ears and she ends up collapsing and dying.

I have no idea what the rest of the movie is about.

#8 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Maybelle @ 21/11/2012, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I already tried to hijack Sunny's other thread with this, and am going to repost as it has been driving me crazy for months...

It may have been a dream, but I am pretty sure it was a film. Some kind of action thing?

The only movie I can think of that sounds similar is Overboard with Goldie Hawn.

#9 toosenuf

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (Maybelle @ 21/11/2012, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

was it 'The Last Templar' ?

#10 shutterspeed

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 21/11/2012, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh god. I've just looked and yes that is the movie! I was about 5 when I watched it with mum. Can't believe she let me.

It is American. Again possibly 80s. It was about a little girl who did ballet in new York. The last scene was at her dance recital. I remember she was dressed in her costume and so was another girl (they were dressed in the same costume), at one point they are crawling backstage to switch spots at the dance recital.

In the end the girl is on the train going home and it is loud and screeching as they are in the subway and she covers her ears and she ends up collapsing and dying.

Could it be Crooklyn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crooklyn

#11 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Nope not Crooklym sad.gif

#12 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (toosenuf @ 21/11/2012, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
was it 'The Last Templar' ?

IT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to hug and kiss you right now!  Take your hands and dance around in a circle!  Turn up at your house with flowers and chocolates! You are my hero  wub.gif

Gosh, what a stupid movie and it has been bugging me for months.  Now I can use that part of my brain for useful information  biggrin.gif

#13 mindy05

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Six Weeks with Dudley Moore and Mary Tyler Moore. MTM is the mother of a young girl with cancer. One of her dying wishes is to dance the Nutcracker, so they travel to New York where she dances the lead role and then collapses and dies in her mother's arms on the subway ride home.

#14 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (mindy05 @ 22/11/2012, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Six Weeks with Dudley Moore and Mary Tyler Moore. MTM is the mother of a young girl with cancer. One of her dying wishes is to dance the Nutcracker, so they travel to New York where she dances the lead role and then collapses and dies in her mother's arms on the subway ride home.

Oooooh you are a champion! that might be it. I've just read it online but can't tell from the plot but I think you are right because I remember the Nutcracker.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EB!

#15 Neko NoNo

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

okay- this has bugged me for nearly 20 years and I'm hoping for another home run- no one remembers seeing this with me. It might have been a dream...

It was a cartoon or stop motion but feature length. It was based on the nutcracker and was really scary. The opening scene was a little guy flying around on a broom looking in windows and when he found a child awake (it was after midnight) he flew in the window, turned the child into a mouse and let a cat out of a bag to catch the 'mouse'. The the real story started.

Little girl is in a big house and a wolf comes out of the grandfather clock and steals...I want to say her grandfather, but I'm not sure, and takes him back through the clock. Girl follows and a series of adventures happen involving characters from the Nutcracker and her attempt to retrieve her... grandfather...

so, that's it. anyone, please!!!

#16 Elemenopee

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Google says Nutcracker Fantasy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutcracker_Fantasy

#17 pencil

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Similar to the first movie is an awful show where the little boy just loves his toy wagon. He loves it so much he takes it to bed one night. His mum finds him in the morning with the rope all around his neck and then later int he movie he comes back as a ghost. I don't know what it's called but it terrified me. I check every night that the kids don't have any rope like items in their bed!

Here's one that I've wondered about for years. There's a bunch of people on a train or plane or something, and some sort of monster/alien comes along. They fight and fight, and somehow eventually work out that the little girl's doll is the key to destroying the creature, so she has to give up her doll. And gross things happened. But I think it might have been black and white, so the gross things probably look different to my 30 year old eyes than they did to my 8 year old ones!

#18 Neko NoNo

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Elemenopee @ 22/11/2012, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's it! wow, thank you. there is no wolf in the story so I guess that's where I was getting confused (or I'm just a crap researcher). The opening sequence is on youtube- as a midnight reader this was particularly terrifying for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUc-6GM4PDg

#19 Elemenopee

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Yep, Kate-ko, that is freaky alright!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.