Christmas present list for 3 y/o
Too much? Not enough?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 summer80

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Just after some thoughts on my present list for 3 y/o DD.

While I love Christmas and think it's a magical time for littlies we are really concious of teaching her to value what she receives. I also don't want a house full of junky toys or to set up expectations that she will receive stacks and stacks of presents each Christmas. Here is what we have planned for her;

A mini micro scooter and helmet as her "big present".

Stocking fillers;
- 3 x books
- 2 x tops
- 1 x jeans
- 1 x cardie
- drink bottle
- fairy wand
- pack of knickers
- wooden play food

She has also chosen a special Christmas deco for the tree and will get new pjs on Christmas eve (our little family traditions).

So what do you think? Too much or not enough? Any suggested items to add? Money is not really an issue as we only have one and I keep seeing gorgeous stocking fillers but am trying to keep myself in check! My parents used to go massively overboard at Christmas with enormous santa sacks filled to the brim and while of course it was fun I'm not sure we ever really appreciated it.....

She will also receive presents from both sets of grandparents and 3 x Aunties / Uncles / Cousins.

Would love to hear your thoughts and what you have planned for your kidlets!  biggrin.gif

#2 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

I think it's perfect!   Something they want, something to read, something to wear.  Nothing too plasticy that you'll just be throwing out in January.  

Dd is 4, she is getting

a ladybug pillow pet
pj's (also a xmas eve tradition)
books (lots)
underwear
teaset

I still have to find one or 2 other things.

#3 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

That wouldn't be enough from us, I don't really see clothes as acceptable presents for children (unless you are my DD who begs me to take her clothes shopping). I don't buy my kids tacky presents but I do buy them a couple of big items.

My DD is getting that Butterscotch pony, a MLP pinky pie, karaoke, books, and all three of my children are getting tickets to disney live (along with their Gran).

#4 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

heaps and plenty.

#5 prettypenny

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I think what you're buying is fine. I'm really conscious of not buying too much at Christmas. My 3.5 yo is getting a bike as the big one. A wooden puzzle, a book, pjs, a dress and a 100 rolls of sticky tape. Well maybe not 100 but she is obsessed with sticky tape.  unsure.gif

#6 Eeyolet

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I do wrap up clothes to bulk up the present pile but I don't count these in the present tally/cost. I also wouldn't count any drink bottles, lunch boxes or anything they "need".

So basically she would be getting a scooter, 3 books, a fairy wand and wooden play food. This is probably enough but we give more than this. This year DD (2) is getting (among other things) a Trike, a baby born doll, doll cradle, doll clothes, wooden doll house (Aldi) and to share with DS (4) a wooden kitchen and accessories.

Every family is different, we do a big Christmas and smaller birthdays.

#7 summer80

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

So maybe I can sneak in a few extra stocking fillers without feeling guilty that I'll create a spoilt monster??

Off to check out Larkmade.......... ph34r.gif

#8 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (summer80 @ 21/11/2012, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just after some thoughts on my present list for 3 y/o DD.

While I love Christmas and think it's a magical time for littlies we are really concious of teaching her to value what she receives. I also don't want a house full of junky toys or to set up expectations that she will receive stacks and stacks of presents each Christmas. Here is what we have planned for her;

A mini micro scooter and helmet as her "big present".

Stocking fillers;
- 3 x books
- 2 x tops
- 1 x jeans
- 1 x cardie
- drink bottle
- fairy wand
- pack of knickers
- wooden play food

She has also chosen a special Christmas deco for the tree and will get new pjs on Christmas eve (our little family traditions).

So what do you think? Too much or not enough? Any suggested items to add? Money is not really an issue as we only have one and I keep seeing gorgeous stocking fillers but am trying to keep myself in check! My parents used to go massively overboard at Christmas with enormous santa sacks filled to the brim and while of course it was fun I'm not sure we ever really appreciated it.....

She will also receive presents from both sets of grandparents and 3 x Aunties / Uncles / Cousins.

Would love to hear your thoughts and what you have planned for your kidlets!  biggrin.gif

That's plenty (particular since she will receive more from family).  And a good selection.  

If you were going to buy anything else, I'd probably go a fairy tiara, to match the wand.   biggrin.gif   My girls love their wands and tiaras - get used SO much.

ETA : We tend to do small Xmas and big birthdays.  What you are giving a bit more than what we are giving DD1 (5.5 yo) and DD2 (who is nearly 4)

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 21 November 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#9 summer80

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 21/11/2012, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's plenty (particular since she will receive more from family).  And a good selection.  

If you were going to buy anything else, I'd probably go a fairy tiara, to match the wand.   biggrin.gif   My girls love their wands and tiaras - get used SO much.

ETA : We tend to do small Xmas and big birthdays.  What you are giving a bit more than what we are giving DD1 (5.5 yo) and DD2 (who is nearly 4)

Oooh tiara is a great idea - would be a great addition to her dressing up box. Thank you!

#10 summer80

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Mummyone1 @ 21/11/2012, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's perfect!   Something they want, something to read, something to wear.  Nothing too plasticy that you'll just be throwing out in January.  

Dd is 4, she is getting

a ladybug pillow pet
pj's (also a xmas eve tradition)
books (lots)
underwear
teaset

I still have to find one or 2 other things.

Just googled pillow pets. So cute!

#11 clm1982

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

My DD is 3 also. This year we are getting her:

Bike and Helmet - Her big present from "us"

In her Santa Sack so far i have:

1 x (5pk) of craft 'sets" kmart $10
5 x Bottles of paint
1 x Paint kit (has rollers, brushes, foam shapes etc)
1 x pom poms for craft
1 x paddle pop sticks for craft
1 x Smock
1 x paint with water book
1 x Barbie Doll set
1 x Play money for her cash register
1 x Barbie travel set (shampoo, bubble bath, hand gel)

I will still be getting her a few more items for her santa sack. Not sure exactly what yet though, probably a bit more craft stuff, she loves her craft and Kmart is so cheap! Probably a few clothes, which i dont really count towards her present but still wrap it up anyway. I mainly got her the craft stuff as she will be home with me more next year when DD2 arrives, currently in childcare fulltime so generally didnt need to buy her as much stuff as she just doesnt get to play with it.

Its probably enough but maybe a would buy a few more items.

#12 marley*and*me

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

My dd3 is getting

Lego in a pink box
Pillow pet thing
Packet of hot wheels
Hair brush
Jewellery box
Where's Wally book

#13 aliro

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

I think that sounds fine.  My DD who is also 3 will be getting a cabbage patch doll with a couple of outfits, and then a couple of books and a puzzle.  Don't think I'll bother with stocking filler stuff this year.

However, we will be spending Christmas morning with my family, so there will also be those presents under the tree.  I know how overwhelming it is for little kids to open so many presents, so didn't want to put things under the tree just for the sake of it.  I want her to be able to spend time opening and playing with each present.

Family will be getting her a scooter and some duplo and I'm not sure what else.

#14 renee1979

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Not intending to be rude, but I don't think that's much at all!  I don't think I spoil my kids, but they will be getting a bit more than that.  I want them to look forward to Christmas for the few magical years that they're young enough to love getting toys.  They're only young once, and it goes so fast, so why not enjoy the magic of it with them!  Why worry so much about 'spoiling them', what's wrong with enjoying Christmas?  Kids are only 'spoilt' when they get things regularly for no reason, and without appreciation.  If you teach your kids to appreciate things every day of the year, getting a few toys on Christmas day is not going to ruin them.

#15 marley*and*me

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

And stick tape and scissors. We go throughso much stick tape and scissors are always getting list.

Glad I am not the only One with a child obsessed with sticky tape!

#16 strawberrycakes

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I don't really see clothes as acceptable presents for children
I don't really either but they make great presents for my DD because she is obsessed with clothes (she is only nearly 5 so heaven help us when she is a teenager LOL).

I know my DD is older OP but this is what she is getting:
* Barbie doll
* Play make up
* Guitar & microphone set
* 4 DS games
* Personalised school bag
* Tiara
* Dance costume
* Dress
* Beach towel
* Chocolates
* 2x swimmers

#17 Julie3Girls

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'd probably ditch the clothes, and put in some dressup stuff instead.
My girls DO get clothes, but it's always something "fun", like a swirly party dress.

Personally, I'd do a few more little things in the stocking - bubble bath, bubbles for the backyard, pretty hair things and a few lollies.

#18 Studybug

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

HI

DS, almost 3, is getting a couple of items similar actually so Snap!!  

Scooter, and I'm still trying to find him a helmet for his teeny tiny head as big present.

A few books.
wooden food set.

We don't really buy clothes as gifts.  No reason why.  His grandparents do tend to give a set of clothes for Xmas and PJs at Easter. I just never think of it.

He's also getting things like:
spinning top
crafty stuff
bead threading set
tamborine

I do have a couple of other in-between size gifts (one's to replace a beloved broken toy) but I feel that I have a tendency to go overboard, after aiming for one big gift and stocking items so I'm sure you've actually gotten plenty for a 3yr old.

cheers.

#19 PigNewton

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Sounds good to me, OP. We've learned our lesson after DS ended up with a MOUNTAIN of toys a couple of years in a row (big family, plus his birthday is 3 days before Christmas) He's also getting a drink bottle (a Mr Men one for kindy) and some Fireman Sam clothes and undies, and although an older kid wouldn't like it, at 3 and 4 they still think it's exciting. He's getting his very own Thomas backpack for kindy too, along with a few toys (Lego, Octonauts stuff, books)....I'm not stressed that it won't be enough, I know for a fact he's getting a trampoline from my parents!

#20 BadCat

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

If that's what youwant to give her, and you think she will like those things, then that's fine.  You could certainly add a little more without creating a monster though.

I don't give my kids clothes because they are very shrug.gif about clothes.  I give them things they like.  If your kid likes clothes then they're acceptable presents.

#21 Studybug

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

p.s.  I'm doing a homemade advent calendar so lots of little things will go in that (bubbles, stamps, stickers, lollies, cup for hot chocolate, activities, cookies) so if there's anything small on your extra stocking filler list that you need to justify getting you could make an advent calendar... wink.gif

#22 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Can I ask where you live OP?

It's just that you have some winter clothes in there, and if you are not in a cold place she won't get to wear them for awhile.

I like the suggestion of some dress-up clothes and a tiara to go with the wand.

I would add a few more small things - lollies, a doll if she's into dolls, pillow pets are hugely popular in this house, maybe a dvd? bubblebath, a cool beachtowel? thongs?

#23 summer80

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Loving some of the ideas! I think I will add;

- tiara
- wooden skipping rope
- vintage style harmonica (may regret this...)

Will leave the clothes in as I've specifically chosen sparkly / pink things (blergh) that I know she'll like. We are in coastal Vic so she will definitely get to wear the jeans / cardie.

Thanks all, it's great to hear what others do!

Edited by summer80, 21 November 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#24 DS1979

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Sounds great to me! Some other stuff we always use as stocking fillers are bubblebath, a new toothbrush, toothpaste, novelty bandaids, new textas and just other bits and pieces we will use throughout the year. Even though they are technically not toys our kids still love getting them as we always buy the ones with their fave characters on them.  original.gif

#25 Studybug

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Oh, I think it's super cute when DS plays on his harmonica so maybe you won't regret it all the time happy.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.