Jump to content

Heavy Cream?

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jadach

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

As I am definitely not a baker, but have found a recipe that i would like to try for Christmas, I thought i would ask the clever ladies on here if they know what "Heavy Cream" is?  I am assuming that it is an american recipe. Would it just be the equivalent of our "thickened cream"?  or it is something totally different?  
Thanks in advance!

#2 VioletRose

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Heavy cream is normal cream. Thickened cream has gelatin or other thickeners added. This makes it easier to whip.
If the recipe wants you to 'dollop' it on then you would use double cream.

#3 Procrastinator5000

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Agree with VioletRose - what's the recipe, OP? If you share, it might be easier to confirm the kind of cream you can use.

#4 jadach

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thanks so much for the quick replies!
This is the recipe:

Triple Chocolate Peppermint Trifle

1/2 cup whole milk
2 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Peppermint Mousse:
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
12 ounces white chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped peppermint candies or candy canes

8 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
2 cups heavy cream
3 large egg yolks

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup coarsely chopped peppermint candies or candy canes

(although I was going to cheat and use a bought cake)!!  SHHHHHH!!

#5 Procrastinator5000

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Yum - I love trifle!

You could use either thickened cream or normal cream for that, I would say. Just not the really thick double cream, or thin pouring cream.


Scroll down to see an explanation of the different names for cream in different countries.

#6 LittleListen

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

That's interesting - I always thought heavy cream was double cream...

#7 VioletRose

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Pure cream or thickened cream would both be fine for this recipe.

#8 ACO

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Heavy cream is just cream, not double cream, but you could use either in this application, depends how rich you like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Top 5 Viewed Articles

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.