4 y/o kinder question
Younger siblings allowed to attend events?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Peggybrown

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Just after some different people's experience with this as I am new to the situation...

Our kinder (4 year old in Victoria) requests that younger siblings do not attend kinder events (eg breakfast at kinder day, grandparents day etc, and now the kinder christmas party) - these are all events held during normal kinder session times and parents/carers are invited/encouraged to attend and/or help out.

Parents/carers are given notices with the invitations stating the younger siblings are not to attend but that exceptions will be made for babies.

Is this normal? WDYT?
Thanks

#2 WYSIWYG

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

My DD1s Kindy welcomes younger siblings to all events, even parent helper (as long as sibling isn't disruptive).

#3 Elemenopee

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

My boys are at a small, rural preschool (or kindergarten) in SA. Siblings are more than welcome. In fact, at the Christmas breakup, Santa always has a enough presents for little brothers and sisters as well.
Parent involvement would drop to about 0% if parents could not bring their young kids - they would not have anyone else to look after them.

#4 Emby

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Siblings are welcome at our kinder, any day, any time, event or otherwise, as long as there's a caregiver in charge of them.

#5 FeralZombieMum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

It could be due to OH&S or insurance reasons. They could also be limited to the space and x amount of people allowed in the building - so could be considered a fire hazard or something.

Or could be they've had issues in the past with siblings running riot and parents not supervising their children.

When it's been a Mothers day morning tea, it was a chance for the kinder child to have one on one attention with mum, same for Father's day breakfast.

#6 Heather11

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

At the three kindys my children have attended younger siblings have always been welcome.  I even used to take my younger one to Governing Council Meetings.

The only time they are not allowed is if you are supervising on an excursion because then your full attention has to be given to the children you are looking after and not a young baby/toddler.

Considering the Christmas Party is when the kids put on a play or sing carols etc I think it is wrong that younger siblings can't  watch that.

Have you questioned them as to why?  I think I would.

#7 Julie3Girls

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

NSW preschool (3-5yr olds), younger siblings have always been welcome. At any time. I often had the teachers encourage my younger girls to sit on the carpet and join in if group time is still happening when I arrived to pick up. Or to join in the activities in the morning if we weren't in a rush to go.
Christmas party is always a big family picnic. It's been lovely, because when the younger one is ready to start preschool, they already know the place, and the teachers and is keen to go.

#8 Heather11

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would find it sad if say a single parent who didn't have a lot of family support had to miss out on joining in their child's Xmas party because they couldn't find care for a younger child.

#9 Lil Chickens

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Wow, DD starts 3yo kinder next year and if DS can't come to stuff then I can't as it would be difficult to get a babysitter when I use up the babysitting for working!

I'm pretty sure that where she will go they welcome younger ones - a lady I know had her three boys there and she took her youngers ones in with her for stuff.

#10 JKTMum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

With ours it was only for the Mothers Day morning tea. They asked that it just be a special one on one time with your child and for other arrangements to be made for younger siblings. The Fathers night was obviously at night so that was Father and child only. If you were helping on an excursion they also couldnt bring younger ones due to numbers on the bus and safety factors, you generally had a small group to look after.

Everything else was fine to bring younger ones. I mostly got the younger ones minded for kinder duty so that I could enjoy it too and not be having to constantly watch the younger ones, but I did take them on occassions. The Christmas concert was at night and everyone went. The last session Santa came and everyone got a present from Santa all the kinder kids and if you had a younger one you had to provide a wrapped book for them to receive. Same at Easter if younger ones were there for the easter egg hunt you just provided extra eggs for them to scatter.

Grandparents day I didnt send the younger ones, I got to stay home with them and my parents got to take whichever child (they all got their turn in due course), so I wouldnt expect siblings at that (I suppose that may prove difficult if the grandparents were the daycarers).

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (RunawayPrincess @ 21/11/2012, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DD1s Kindy welcomes younger siblings to all events, even parent helper (as long as sibling isn't disruptive).

I still remember my younger sister coming in when my mum was the parent helper. And of course wing there for the event days.

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

It is only for the annual excursion to the park where siblings are excluded for us.

#13 Peggybrown

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks All,
You are all pretty much expressing my exact feelings. The welcoming of younger siblings is what I have always heard of and experienced before so this has been a bit of a surprise.
When I asked at the kinder my kids previously attended for 3y/o kinder if it was ok if my younger DS attend when I was on duty or at an event, I was always told (as though they were surprised I would even need to ask) "of course, this is a FAMILY service". With a big stress being put on the whole family being welcome. Of course you need to supervise the younger sibling and I have no problem with that, at all. My DS (the younger sibling) is actually very close in age to my DDs that are in the kinder group and it has become clear through the year that many of the kids actually think he does attend kinder with them! I do duty pretty often and he has formed his own friendships amongst the kids and even gets invited to some of their parties - its very cute! When he is there he is always very well behaved and causes no problems at all.

In the notice in regards to the Christmas function it is being explained in terms of there not being enough presents for all of the kids if younger siblings attend, and also a time when parents need to focus on their kinder child. I can understand the present issue (although as a pp suggested people could easily bring a book wrapped for their younger child) but for a Christmas party, it just seems really strange to me that the whole family isn't welcome! And what are parents supposed to do with the younger siblings???

Seems very strange and a bit unfair to me!

QUOTE (ZombieMum @ 21/11/2012, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It could be due to OH&S or insurance reasons. They could also be limited to the space and x amount of people allowed in the building - so could be considered a fire hazard or something.

A good idea but not an issue at this kinder, it has enormous facilities and is actually licensed for many more kids to attend than actually do.

Personally, I think the real issue behind this request is our teacher is a stress head! She is nearing retirement age and the whole thing seems to be getting too much for her. She only teaches the 4 y/o group so I am hoping that by the time my DS is doing 4 y/o kinder in 2014 she will have retired. Its been a long, hard and at times extremely frustrating year dealing with her this year.

Edited by Peggybrown, 21 November 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#14 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Our experience has been that in city schools, siblings don't come, but when we were in the country, siblings were very welcome at everything because otherwise there would have been no parents either!

R

#15 liveworkplay

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

In my experience, not normal.

#16 Missy Shelby

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (RunawayPrincess @ 21/11/2012, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly the same at our kindy, siblings are never excluded.

I would imagine that it would make it very difficult for some parents to attend kinder events if they always had to find a baby sitter.

Not a very family orientated stance imho.

#17 ubermum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Everyone is welcome at our kinder.

#18 lilwonder

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

We have only just started here but my younger kids have always been welcome so far. So many of the kindy kids have younger siblings, parents would rarely be able to make it at all if they weren't allowed. I do understand those saying they are excluded for excursions though, that makes sense from a safety perspective

#19 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

not normal here, my little ones have gone to everything that I have gone to. But our kinder would be different to yours I imagine (WA)

#20 Bel Rowley

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

I am in Melbourne and my son has been welcome at every kinder event I've had at my daughter's kinder this year. And he IS disruptive, no doubt about it. On my first day as kinder helper I spent more time keeping DS out of trouble than I did actually doing anything useful. Entire families have been invited to the Christmas party too.

#21 Holidayromp

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Not normal.  If younger siblings cannot come then I wouldn't be able to make school shows etc.

By enforcing that rule then the teacher is going to have to expect a far smaller than normal attendance.  I would be going over the head of the organising teacher and see what can be done.

#22 Therese

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

At our NSW preschool younger children were always welcome. I think it would be really difficult for some people if they couldn't bring their younger kids.

#23 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Wow, our kindy is so welcoming of everyone, we just had a multicultural lunch and I took myself, dh, 2 younger siblings and dd (kindy child).  They always say on the invite that any carers, grandparents are welcome and any children that don't attend kindy on the day the event is held.
I don't think that would work for us, it would mean I wouldnt be going to many events sad.gif

#24 FlutterbyBlue

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

I think it's a pity it's too late for you to change kindergartens this year.  It has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

Had this sort of ban been in place when my children went to kinder, then I wouldn't have been able to attend any events or take part in any parent association obligations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.