How much do braces cost?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 myfirstbubba

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

How much out of pocket are braces with or without private health? Does medicare cover any?

Thanks

#2 galba

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

No PHI - $6400 for top and bottom

#3 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

We have paid $1800 for DS2's braces and orthodontic work.

He's had top and bottom braces and now wears a retainer at night.

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

We paid out of pocket expenses of over $4k for each child 15 years ago and that was with top PHI. It doesn't sound as though it is too much more these days?

#5 Lazycow

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

We've been Quoted $6500...Our PI doesn't cover orthodontics sad.gif and as far as I'm aware Medicare doesn't cover any of the cost?? May be someone can clarify regarding Medicare?

I'm in Perth if that makes any difference.

#6 Chelli

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

We are in Tas and DD's braces were $6500. Most people pay them off monthly with about a $1300 deposit.

Praying the other two don't need them wacko.gif

#7 Arthur or Martha

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Edited by ambwrose, 12 September 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#8 picklesmum

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Palate expander $1200,  Braces $6,400, Retainer $600 so over $8,000 for 5 years of orthodontics and my DD's teeth were not that bad! I didn't however go with the cheapest ortho, ours was highly recommended and believes in a slow and steady approach  using natural growth spurts and early intervention. When you see the number of people whose teeth end up going back into the shape they were prior to braces I think it is worth shopping around for someone who really know what they are doing-there seems to be some cowboys out there.

#9 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

$8000 over 3 years including surgery to pull down an eye tooth that was growing across behind front teeth instead of downwards. Did not have PHI but if we had it only covers a small part of total cost of orthodontics. Medicare rebate for part of the oral surgeons fee only (approx $300).

#10 aprilrain

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

In Qld, I took my son to the local Dental School(Uni) and it cost about $3500 all up. Quoted about $10k as had Overbite,underbite, teeth that had to have chains attached to be 'pulled' down.
The instructors supervise everything and they are dentists training to be orthodontists. They get to say they will take your child depending on tecniques they are teaching. No cost for initial consultations (and maybe free xrays and opinion - I can't remember). Appointments are set only for a couple of days a week  as it is to fit in with  Uni timetables. grin.gif

#11 myfirstbubba

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Ouch! I knew they cost a bit, but sheesh!

Thanks all

#12 MCMama

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (Chelli @ 21/11/2012, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are in Tas and DD's braces were $6500. Most people pay them off monthly with about a $1300 deposit.

Praying the other two don't need them wacko.gif

So when you say most people pay them off monthly, is that over the course of the treatment period? So say you have 2 kids that need braces at roughly the same time - this very well could be the case with us - we would need to pay off close to $15K over a 3 to 4 year period? So over $300 a month?
Sorry to hijack the thread OP, but I am going to have this problem in about 3 or 4 years time and I'm not looking forward to it. Is that what most people's experience is, paying for the cost monthly over the treatment time? Do orthodontists give you a chance to pay some of the debt of for a few years AFTER the treatment is finished for example?

#13 *maddierose*

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

DD's braces cost just over $6000, wasn't covered under our PHI. This is the total cost and we do not have to pay anything else at all and they will continue to see her until she is 18 without any added cost ie/ if she needs braces put back on for any reason. She had them put on when she was 12.

We paid an iniitial $800 and then a set amount each month, as i wasn't working at the time they were put on (maternity leave) the orthadontist let us pay half of what they usually require per month. Dd's braces came off at the end of last year and we are still paying the braces off, our orthadontist is fine with that.

I actually know a few people who have done the same with this orthadontist and he is one of the best in our area.

Our accountant always asks about it when we are doing our tax but i do not think we actually get anything back for it.

We soon need to have dd's wisdom teeth removed so they do not move any of her beautiful straight teeth, out of pocket we were quoted $1100 for that.

Edited by belnryan, 16 February 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#14 mumto4boys

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

$6000 x 3

ohmy.gif

We paid an initial $1000 and then 20 monthly payments of $250.

Our private health paid approx $1000 per year per child, so approximately half.

#15 jm3

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (MCMama @ 28/11/2012, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So when you say most people pay them off monthly, is that over the course of the treatment period? So say you have 2 kids that need braces at roughly the same time - this very well could be the case with us - we would need to pay off close to $15K over a 3 to 4 year period? So over $300 a month?
Sorry to hijack the thread OP, but I am going to have this problem in about 3 or 4 years time and I'm not looking forward to it. Is that what most people's experience is, paying for the cost monthly over the treatment time? Do orthodontists give you a chance to pay some of the debt of for a few years AFTER the treatment is finished for example?

My daughter's orthodontics cost approximately $7000 and included a palate expander device and braces.  We had to pay an initial deposit and then monthly instalments of about $200 for a maximum period of 30 months.  So by the time they come off they will be paid for in full.  PHI pays $2500 total.

#16 ~3 gorgeous girls~

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

DD1's braces are costing us $5800.  We'll get $2500 back from our private health insurance so we'll be $3300 out of pocket.  We have to pay it in thirds so 1st payment was due when the braces went on in Jan, 2nd payment's due in October & then the 3rd payment's due in July 2014.  That's the total cost regardless of how long the treatment takes.  

Like others, we could have gone to other orthodontists & got it cheaper but the orthodontist we're seeing came very highly recommended so we stuck with him.

#17 Guest_Spunkrat_*

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Edited by Spunkrat, 25 April 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#18 JJ

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I was quoted 10k (obviously a rough estimate) for DD when she was only 7. ohmy.gif And her teeth are honestly not that bad (they may be once she gets more permanent teeth) - at this stage it's only one of her upper front teeth that's sticking out a bit. So I'm really not sure how they arrived at that figure.

Needless to say, I'll be shopping around. I don't believe that the most expensive necessarily means the best.

Edited by JJ, 01 March 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#19 gina70

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

dd2 is getting braces in 2 weeks.  It is costing $6k, but that is a little more to get see through ones.  I get $1600 back from my PHI.  I pay $2k deposit on the day and $240 per month for 18 months.

#20 teejay

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

My DS who is only 8 has top braces. Our dentist recommended we see someone as his two new adult top front teeth where going one in front and one behind when he was eating etc which was going to wear the tooth away. He also had a bad cross bite. The orthodontist I went too are fantastic. DS will need braces again once he has all his adult teeth, so the total cost is $6000 but I only paid $2400 now and will pay the rest when he needs them again which will be approx 6-7 years. The work he needs done at about 14 won't be anywhere near as extensive after having this done now. My phi also pays $800 per year so I will have a few claiming years with them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.