For those with kids in Catholic schools

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 slummymummy

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

This morning I was at school doing reading groups, when the principal announced photos would be taken for the .... community calendar.
This was the first I had heard of it. No permission slips had been handed out, just kids randomly plucked out for photos. At this stage, I am the only parent who knows.
.... Is hated in our local community for a serious chemical spill of the chemical that was involved in the Erin Brockervich case. I would hate to think our kids were being used for their PR. .... Covered up the spill to make matters worse.
My question is in Catholic schools, do principals have discretion to do this without permission? I know when I worked at TAFE we got audited on permission slips. I gather this would be the same in govt school?

#2 Furthermore

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Usually when you enroll there is a form seeking permission for your childs photograph to be published in marketing, newspapers ect.  Most parents sign it, some tick the box to say their child's picture is not to be published.  I would assume he has or will check if the kids parent's have consented to their picture being published before the calander is drafted.

It saves the school having to seek permission every time.  For eg, they may photograph an excursion or incursion and include some pictures in the newsletter.  The local paper may cover your school having a visit from a prominant politician or artist and photograph them with the kids.  Teachers may takes pictures for the notice board or class blog.

Edited by ~maryanne~, 22 November 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#3 missfrizzle

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Usually when you enroll there is a form seeking permission for your childs photograph to be published in marketing, newspapers ect. Most parents sign it, some tick the box to say their child's picture is not to be published. I would assume he has or will check if the kids parent's have consented to their picture being published before the calander is drafted.

This is what I was going to say too. We sign a form at the beginning of each year giving/denying permission for our childs photo's to be used.

#4 Littleone84

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (~maryanne~ @ 22/11/2012, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually when you enroll there is a form seeking permission for your childs photograph to be published in marketing, newspapers ect. Most parents sign it, some tick the box to say their child's picture is not to be published. I would assume he has or will check if the kids parent's have consented to their picture being published before the calander is drafted.

This, plus every year at the begininng of the year they issue the form again incase your position on the matter has changed.

#5 Heather11

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Same as the two PPs.  We sign a permission slip at the beginning of the year.

#6 liveworkplay

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

yep, sign a permission slip each year.

#7 gizboo

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

We don't seem to get a yearly permission slip, but I do remember it being on the enrolment form.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

We signed a form on enrolment at our schools.  If you've got concerns about the purpose of the photos, I would discuss them with the principal. Maybe the calendar will only be provided to the school community.

But be prepared to find out that .... is a major donor to the school and possibly some of the children come from the owner's/employees' families.

#9 The3Monkeys

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

At my kids catholic school it was an agreement made when signing the initial enrolment form that their photograph will be taken and used in the classroom or to promote the school.

We do not sign this each year, just the once.

#10 ~A2~

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

My DD is at a Catholic school and they have the exact same system as mentioned above.

In our case it is asked at enrollment and each year thereafter at the start of the year.

There are a few students that do not have the permission to be in pics etc (for various reasons) so the relevant teachers and principal are then aware of this.

#11 Furthermore

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Hang on a minute - maybe I misunderstood.  The Calendar is NOT the school's community calendar but a local company's?  I thought the ... was the school's name and was wondering how they managed to have a chemical spill and why you'd be happy to still send your kids there.  But on re-reading it seems it is for an unrelated company?

If it is for the school's community calendar as I first thought then all is fine - If not, the principal better check his permission form wording closely - I'm pretty sure ours has something about 'school related' marketing and media.  I'd not be happy if my kid ended up being a free model for general advertising of random businesses in the community.

Edited by ~maryanne~, 22 November 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#12 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Like other PP's it was part of the enrolment form.

But i'm a bit confused about the "community" calendar bit and chemical spill?

OK, just re read your post. I am not sure about the exact wording but i thought it was for school purposes only, i wouldn't be happy about my children being photographed for an outside organisations calendar.

Look into it OP.

Edited by pukeko~ponga~tree, 22 November 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#13 FloralArrangement

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

At our Catholic school we sign all of our permissions right the end of the previous school year for the upcoming school year. Comp use, nit checks, photos, medical forms.

I would check how this calendar relates to the school. promotion is always good but if it is a way of a business getting cheap advertising then it is not good.

I am on my school's board and we would discuss this at our meetings so you can check there or directly with the Principal.

Edited by FloralArrangement, 22 November 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#14 vanessa71

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Same here, we sign a form when the child is enrolled.

#15 ZombieMum

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Yes, we also sign a permission form each year.

They might seek extra permission if there is some identifying information such as their name.

Years ago my DD's photo was used in the local newspaper during education week and the Principal asked for my verbal permission - they might have only asked because I happened to be in the office at the time, but they did use her Christian name with the photo.

DD participated in a special performance this year and the video of her is freely available on the internet along with photos. They've also used one of these photos in a magazine which would have been distributed to thousands of kids in the Catholic system. Her name isn't mentioned and my specific permission wasn't sought but I guess if I did have a problem with it then I would have spoken up when she was first chosen for the role - given she was performing in front of a large audience then it would have been very difficult for me to request a restriction on her photo. wink.gif

As my DD's photos were used to help promote Catholic education, that's acceptable BUT that's a lot different to using kids to promote a commercial entity, especially if their reputation is a bit dubious. I wouldn't be happy.

#16 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Surely nothing you signed would include your child being used to promote a commercial organisation? I would be objecting very strongly.

#17 bryce's-mummy

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

My DS is in a catholic school- and everytime they wish to use their photos for something like that we have to sign a permission slip. At the beginning of the year we sign sa general slip for the kids pics to appear in the newsletter and other school-related publications (and school webpage), but never stuff for the community.

#18 Peggybrown

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

As far as I understand it this is an issue covered by privacy legislation. As everyone has said, you would need to have given your permission for your child's image to be used or published in any way - especially if it is being used by an organisation other than the school. As far as I understand it this is the same for ALL schools ie not just catholic or public or whatever.

#19 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

---

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#20 kiam

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

If I have read it correctly and this is for a private company, and you mentioned that they took certain children aside for the photos, is it possible that those particular children's parent's have given permission for their photos to be taken for this purpose somehow? Maybe a parents group fundraiser or something and they just picked a select few families to approach?

#21 Party of 5

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (~maryanne~ @ 22/11/2012, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually when you enroll there is a form seeking permission for your childs photograph to be published in marketing, newspapers ect.  Most parents sign it, some tick the box to say their child's picture is not to be published.  I would assume he has or will check if the kids parent's have consented to their picture being published before the calander is drafted.

It saves the school having to seek permission every time.  For eg, they may photograph an excursion or incursion and include some pictures in the newsletter.  The local paper may cover your school having a visit from a prominant politician or artist and photograph them with the kids.  Teachers may takes pictures for the notice board or class blog.

This is the same for my children's school.

#22 FuzzyMum

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi OP
I re-read your post and from my outside perspective it sounds very much like a marketing calendar rather than internal promotion of the school or Catholic education. If that is the case then firstly the school needs to obtain written permission specific to that campaign. The general permission signed either at enrolment or beginning of the year would not cover this. On the other hand I am surprised the school would be participating in such a thing. If it is for marketing purposes then they could be seen as endorsing the operations of this business.

It may not be the case however so I would advise making an appointment with the principal to seek further clarification.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.