Who knows about pearls?
Please help.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I want to buy my Mum some pearls.

Terrific, I have no idea where to start - they seem to range in price from around $100 to $1000 for a necklace based on being A rated or AAAA rated.

Is there only 4 x A's?

What is the difference (especially to us uneducated types)?

Do I want cultured or fresh water or Japanese or are they all legit?

What else should I know?

I want to buy a necklace and bracelet. I would LOVE a brooch too but I have only found very unsatisfactory ones surrounded by crystals which I do not like original.gif

Thanks for your help (Country Mel and any other jewelers!)

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I found this table on a Japanese manufacturer's website, but the grading system doesn't seem to be as uniform as that for diamonds. Other websites had similar tables, but not exactly the same.
AAA Exceptional, Mirror-Like Reflection Blemish-Free Surface*
AA Superb, Clear Reflection Very Slightly Blemished
A+ Very Good, Clear Reflection Very Slightly Blemished
A Good, Clear Reflection Very Slightly Blemished
A1 Good, Clear Reflection Slightly Blemished

Cultured pearls, freshwater pearls, Japanese pearls, South Sea pearls are all real, so it's really just a matter of what you like.  Cultured pearls have a seed put into the shell, so the pearl is formed around it. They are generally the most regular-shaped.

Some people can tell the difference - I have a lovely Japanese Akoya pearl necklace and I wore it out to dinner once and one of DH's colleagues asked me why I wasn't wearing Australian pearls (we were living in Darwin at the time).  I don't know how he could tell though.

Are you shopping online?  Can we help you choose?

#3 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Yes, I can't be bothered dealing with jewelers in real life with a toddler (plus on line seems much easier and cheaper!)

I am looking at pearls only (seems like a good place to start?!)

I am probably going to buy a set of white single strand AA (the A are irregularly shaped which mum wont like) but got a bit distracted looking at the chunky/fashion jewelry for myself  ph34r.gif

#4 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (shmach @ 22/11/2012, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found this table on a Japanese manufacturer's website, but the grading system doesn't seem to be as uniform as that for diamonds. Other websites had similar tables, but not exactly the same.
AAA Exceptional, Mirror-Like Reflection Blemish-Free Surface*
AA Superb, Clear Reflection Very Slightly Blemished
A+ Very Good, Clear Reflection Very Slightly Blemished
A Good, Clear Reflection Very Slightly Blemished
A1 Good, Clear Reflection Slightly Blemished

Cultured pearls, freshwater pearls, Japanese pearls, South Sea pearls are all real, so it's really just a matter of what you like.  Cultured pearls have a seed put into the shell, so the pearl is formed around it. They are generally the most regular-shaped.

Some people can tell the difference - I have a lovely Japanese Akoya pearl necklace and I wore it out to dinner once and one of DH's colleagues asked me why I wasn't wearing Australian pearls (we were living in Darwin at the time).  I don't know how he could tell though.

Are you shopping online?  Can we help you choose?

Did you tell him because australian pearls and massively overpriced and the conditions that pearl divers work in are criminal?

Op nothing to add from PPs comment - other than as long as they have a good rating and are pleasing to your eye don't worry where they come from just get the best price.

#5 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Meh - Just spoke to my sister who doesn't like the idea of pearls. She already has a pearl necklace (but it is old, fine and she never wears it).

Anyway, we're moving on to other jewels apparently.

Also my sister now wants to look at what I am looking at which is very annoying as I wont be able to lie to her laughing2.gif

#6 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 22/11/2012, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you tell him because australian pearls and massively overpriced and the conditions that pearl divers work in are criminal?

No, I told him my mother bought me this lovely strand of pearls and I didn't need another one, Australian or not.

R

#7 Quack Quack

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I have nothing of any value to add, except that my beautiful MIL gave me a strand of 1920's vintage Pearls that belonged to her Grandmother, I absolutely adore them!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.