Sri Lanka
Has anyone been?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kyrrie

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Has anyone taken their family to Sri Lanka?

We were hoping to head to Peru for our next holiday but think it may just be too expensive to get there just at the moment. I'm sure if we wait a few years then the kids will be able to trek a little better (not sure about me) so we will keep dreaming for a little while aand keep Peru on the backburner for now.

So that brings us to Sri Lanka. It's not somewhere we know much about but are keen to explore. Is it easy to get around? Especially to plan on the go. The best time for us to go is the Dec/Jan holidays and I think this is high season. Does this mean we would need to pre-plan and pre-book? Are there other good times to go?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been there with any advice and to hear your tales of where you travelled. Thank you  smile1.gif

#2 TheSmithFamily

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hi there,

Here are a few good travel blogs that I love and their Srilanka adventures:

http://www.ourtravellifestyle.com/travel-d...s-nuwara-eliya/

http://with2kidsintow.blogspot.com.au/2011...s-wrap.html?m=1

It is somewhere we will go when our kids are a bit older.

Fwiw I went with my dad and two sisters ( 13,11,9) as an educational adventure to see poverty first hand after a food fight at the big pineapple the previous school holidays wink.gif

Bron

#3 Stellajoy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

I travelled around Sri Lanka for a month during December. It's a fabulous country to explore. Easy to get around! Take the train , don't be tempted to rent cars as the roads are terrible. We hired one on our first day and it took 10 hrs to travel 100kms, took the train on the way back and it took 2hrs.
We took some tuk tuks between smaller towns.

We never booked anything and would just arrive in a town and check some hotels out to make sure they were clean and nice. It was quiet but was two years post tsunami.

There is a nice tourist trail south from Columbo around the coast and then to Kandi and back down. The train through the middle of the country was spectacular.

Unawatuna was a highlight.

They are some brief notes! I would reccomend it.

#4 Stellajoy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Here are some good intineraries you could copy

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/sri-lanka/ci...sri-lanka-41745

(For a fraction of that price... Woah)

Also check on the conflict situation in the North , you can skip it easily, there was a high threat of kidnapping when I went.

#5 lynneyours

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

LOVED Sri Lanka!!

In Colombo, there is a really quaint guesthouse called Padmini's.  It wasn't super flash, but was a bit more homely, and she did a lovely breakfast and homemade jam which was eaten in a leafy shady courtyard.

I also loved Unawatuna, a really nice sandy beach on the south coast, not far from Galle.  We stayed there and caught tuk-tuk's to and from Galle.

Also climbed Siguriya Rock, but this wouldn't be suitable for small kids, more teenage/pre-teen.

We went to the reclining buddha and there were monkeys everywhere, which smaller children would usually like.

Kandy is lovely - not as hot, up in the mountains so cooler, but not cold.  We caught the train there, and it was a beautiful journey, very scenic.

#6 eachschoolholidays

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

We went pre-kids in 2008.  

In a lot of ways it was a mixture of Cambodia and India, and I prefer both of them to Sri Lanka. There are some interesting sites and cool hotels but I wouldn't head back any time soon

#7 kyrrie

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thank you all, you've given me some great reading to do.

Great to hear train travel is good. We love traveling by train.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.