Sickly sweet smell?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mandarins

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Since this morning I keep smelling something sickly sweet. I cannot tell if it is me, or something in the house (though I could smell it at times when I was out in the garden today) or my toddler? I have smelt it on and off and washed my hands and can still smell it on them. My toddler smelt a bit like it but also had ice cream spilt down her top  rolleyes.gif
It comes and goes and is just kind of yucky. I vaguely recognize it but cannot be sure what it is.

Has anyone else had this?

#2 runnybabbit

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

OP does your toddler have any symptoms at all of diabetes? Some people describe ketones as smelling sweet. I can't smell them I'm afraid but that is what I have heard.

#3 mandarins

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

I do not know much about diabetes. I googled it just now and I do not think those are symptoms I recognize but I will start paying closer attention.  
How do toddler get diabetes anyway? It is a worrying thought that someone so little could have a condition like that.

#4 nik_klinger

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Perhaps it's a flowering spring plant/ flower?

#5 MoonPie

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Could you be pregnant? I can smell everything when pregnant.

Not that that helps answer where the smell is coming from.

#6 jules83

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

has she been urinating more often and have increased thirst?  Kids can get type 1 diabetes, totally different to type 2.

It can get extremely serious really quickly, so if her urine/breath is smelling sweet,at the very least get her to GP and ask for her blood sugar level to be tested, that will tell you straight away

#7 Wahwah

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Bit random, but if you think it is in the house or garden, I have had a couple of cases where a sickly sweet smell in the air was a dead animal. We had a dead mouse the chimney and it was this kind of smell.

#8 mandarins

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Wahwah @ 22/11/2012, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bit random, but if you think it is in the house or garden, I have had a couple of cases where a sickly sweet smell in the air was a dead animal. We had a dead mouse the chimney and it was this kind of smell.

That is a good point. It could almost be similar to a small dead animal, I think after eating poison they can smell sickly sweet as they rot, but why is the smell on my hands?? I washed with warm water and soap and it stayed.
I will have to see if I can still smell it tomorrow. No one else in the family mentioned it and I did ask DH a few times earlier in the day when I could smell it strong around him ( I checked him out closely and the smell was not on him. I smelt things near him such as his coffee cup and it was not those things either).

#9 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Yeast infection?, they can smell like this.

#10 lonelygoatherd

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

A breast milk leak turned sour? Sorry if that's a bit of a gross idea.

#11 Natalie26

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

We had this in our house a few weeks ago (at first I just thought it was in my imagination) - turned out to be a spilt cup of milk under the couch that we weren't aware of.  It had started to rot!! Yuk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.