What's the aversion to bratz dolls?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 EssentialBludger

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Every Christmas there's a thread about someone's kid not getting the bratz dolls they ask for because they are "inappropriate". Sure they're a little ugly and their heads are far too big for their bodies, but am I missing something?

Is Barbie inappropriate too? unsure.gif

#2 Feral Becky

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

I also want to know.

#3 pencil

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Good luck with your question!

#4 FeralLIfeHacker

I don't get it.  DD has a couple, she has barbies too, all my older girls did too.  Is it just cause they are skinny with big boobs (sending the wrong message type thing?).

#5 CountryFeral

I think the problem with giving Bratz dolls to your impressionable young daughter is that she ends up like this.....

#6 pencil

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Seriously I don't have a problem with them. People have been debating it for years, but I don't see them as any better or worse3 than any other doll. In fact I like their sporty image and the fact that they promote being an individual, they're multi-cultural, and they don't care how others 'expect' them to be (half of this is going on the movie)

Barbie is boring, and the 300 or so we have here all look the same!

#7 Lolpigs

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Highly sexualised doll, that focuses on appearance above all else. Much like barbie, however most Bratz dolls I have seen put Barbie to shame. I've seen them referred to as s*ut dolls before.

I don't think Barbie is appropriate either.

#8 EssentialBludger

QUOTE (countrymel @ 23/11/2012, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the problem with giving Bratz dolls to your impressionable young daughter is that she ends up like this.....

LOL.

I don't understand that mindset though. Kids don't think like that. Only adults over analyse things to death.

DD has had bratz for a few years and has never expressed an interest in being a tramp. Tounge1.gif

#9 FeralSis

Well, seeing as their other unofficial name is "Sl*tz"...?

I think that is why so many people have a problem with them.

I personally have not and won't buy them for my DD's but the older ones have been given them in the past. I let them have them but did not actively encourage them to add to their collection lol.

#10 Bubblicious

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

I have isshews with their heads... they give ME nightmares lol

#11 Feral timtam

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

"They represent an unrealistic image of how a girl is supposed to look"

Or at least that's the tripe I got fed. Variations include unethical manufacturing, rape of the planet, and child/slave labour.

Before Bratz were on the scene that tripe was commonly applied to Barbie.

Personally I objected to Bratz because they were plain ugly and removing their feet to change their shoes freaked me out. Now there are uglier dolls on the market they don't bother me any more.

#12 FeralBob!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm not mad on Bratz dolls simply because it seems like their whole reason for being is shopping and consumerism. Plus I hate the name.

Barbie is a long way from perfect, but at least you can get Barbies that DO things, like being a vet or a teacher or a champion showjumper or whatever. Even if it's subliminal, at least it's a message that doesn't completely define life as being about shopping, that you can do and be good at other things.

#13 FeralSis

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Lol at the feet removal to change shoes!

What was even freakier was when said Brat had feet removed for a shoe change then they were lost at school and she came home footless!

#14 PoshMosh

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Lolpigs @ 23/11/2012, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Highly sexualised doll, that focuses on appearance above all else. Much like barbie, however most Bratz dolls I have seen put Barbie to shame. I've seen them referred to as s*ut dolls before.

Totally agree. My dd has an old fashioned rag doll from kmart and she loves it.

#15 JaneDoe2010

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (Lolpigs @ 23/11/2012, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That.

Also I won't support any brand that brings out a BABY doll that wears a g-string.

#16 LynnyP

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

My objection (otherwise known as tripe) is the same as Lolpig's.  The image they present is not one I wish to tacitly support.  There are other options.

#17 TenYears

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

I just hate the name.  Brat?  Not something to celebrate.  The baby Bratz with the G-string was a low point too.

It's a trivial reason, but as I'm the one controlling the purse strings, I get to enforce it.   grin.gif

I have no issue with Barbie, because I actually don't see how all the attention is on her appearance or how she's highly sexualised.  Sure she's got big boobs and a small waist, but so have I plenty of dolls have unrealistic proportions in so many different ways that I don't see why Barbie alone would be responsible for giving kids some sort of all defining body image blueprint.  She comes out of the box, and she goes on safari in the back yard.  She's as good as any other doll for imaginative play, but without the horrible name.

#18 niggles

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

They're ugly in every way I can think of and there are nicer choices. My daughter doesn't watch commercials and we don't get junk mail or spend much time in shops so for now she doesn't really ask for things that we haven't led her too. It's all still My Little Pony going strong around here. And Transformers, which I'm less happy about but it's a Daddy thing.

Perhaps the request for things I don't like are ahead of me but my sisters have managed to live without Bratz in their homes so I can't imagine it's that difficult to avoid.

She has a couple of Barbie dolls that someone gave her but she doesn't play with them. They've had their clothes removed and now they stay in the box. They just don't capture her imagination, maybe because they look like grown ups.

#19 Orangedrops

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

what lolpigs said

#20 la di dah

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

I had Asian, Latina, and black Barbies even in the '80s. (or rather, Lea, Teresa, and Christie were Barbie-compatible and Whitney was Skipper-compatible.) I don't know what their Australian distribution is but there's been multicultural Barbies far longer than there's been any Bratz at all?

I'm confused by the multiculturalism thing because at least the Barbies had different face sculpts and designs and the Bratz I've seen are just different colour-schemes?

Honestly, I don't know if they sell all of them out here though.

#21 WhatWouldBuffyDo?

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I don't like Bratz because they are teenagers who dress like skanks.

Barbie's clothes are generally 'older', less skanky, and she is a range of characters.  

Also, the DVDs (which my daughters love) have excellent themes eg friendship, loyalty, independence, 'girl power', as well as traditional princess and ballet stories.  No problem with BArbie here original.gif

#22 FeralBob!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

They don't tend to sell the Latino/African etc Barbies out here, La Di Dah, apparently there isn't the demand for them  sad.gif But Amazon do post a lot of them internationally, I've noticed  original.gif

#23 Readee

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

For me, the problem is the sexualisation of children. Bratz dolls, and baby bratz are meant to be children, but they are so sexualised. I don't have the same issues with Barbie because most Barbie dolls are portraying adults.

This link demonstrates the problem pretty clearly:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?hl=en&...29,r:1,s:0,i:99

#24 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Theyre ugly and skanky looking but so is barbie.
I never new about the baby gstring, thats just creepy and kinda makes me wonder whats in the head of the developers and people who OKd it for sale.
Living dead dolls though, I cant wait till dd old enough for them. They are cool lol.
Im kinda lucky dd shows more intrest in so called 'boy' toys. Her hot wheel collection is crazy!

#25 kadoodle

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (JingleBob @ 23/11/2012, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not mad on Bratz dolls simply because it seems like their whole reason for being is shopping and consumerism. Plus I hate the name.

Barbie is a long way from perfect, but at least you can get Barbies that DO things, like being a vet or a teacher or a champion showjumper or whatever. Even if it's subliminal, at least it's a message that doesn't completely define life as being about shopping, that you can do and be good at other things.

This is my reasoning too.  My DDs have Barbies who are mermaids, fairies, witches and Dr Who characters.  They encourage a lot of creative play.  Bratz don't have that element to them, they're just designed to be teenage mallrats buying clothes and being vaccuous.  They have a couple of Bratz dolls, but they usually end up being cast as Slitheens and killed off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.