French Door Fridges
Posted for more traffic as need to buy this weekend

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Indi

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

We have finally decided to ditch the old fridge (freezes anything that is at the back of any shelf and everything on the bottom shelf even on warmest setting).  We've got a lot of entertaining over the next few weeks so need to get something on the weekend.

Does anyone have a french door fridge?  What brand?  What do you like/dislike about it?

Any feedback would be great.

TIA

#2 Lyn29

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

I have a Sharp French door fridge freezer (this one) and am very happy with it.
My main concern was that I be able to get most things out without having to open both doors - this one works well for me. I love the freezer bins too - nothing gets lost up the back. I didn't want the water dispenser as I wanted to keep lower running costs and didn't want to have to plumb the fridge in (the water in the kitchen is on the opposite side to the fridge)
I would happily buy this one again.

#3 Three Of Hearts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

We have this Samsung one  SRF752DSS

I love everything about it!  The fridge space is great, and all the shelves have handy little features.  Like one retracts to fit bigger items, one folds up to fit extra bottles etc etc.  The ice maker in it is also very compact so doesn't take up a heap of room.

At the same time I bought mine my mum bought a standard side-by-side fridge freezer, and she says she wishes she'd gone with a french door as it just seems to have much more room!

#4 ~Kay~

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

I have the Fisher & Paykel and love it.

I like that the ice maker is hidden away and doesn't take up any space from the fridge.

#5 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I am dreaming of the new mitsubishi one - well it is multidoor does that count
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/Mitsu...frigerator.html
My girlfriend has it and wow it is awesome the vege crisper is just amazing. For me it is the lowest energy consumer in its class at about 510kw per year it is a 3 star a lot of the french doors are 1.5
anyway I will have to sell a LOT of ruffled diaper covers first!

#6 petals1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Im happy with my LG one . Its got a water/ice dispenser, and a great cool drawer. I think the newer version has a double sided door. Had no problems in 3 years with it. Overall I think french doors are heaps better than side by side as you can fit in wide platters etc which happens more than you think.

#7 Emily of New Moon

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 23/11/2012, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Sharp French door fridge freezer (this one) and am very happy with it.
My main concern was that I be able to get most things out without having to open both doors - this one works well for me. I love the freezer bins too - nothing gets lost up the back. I didn't want the water dispenser as I wanted to keep lower running costs and didn't want to have to plumb the fridge in (the water in the kitchen is on the opposite side to the fridge)
I would happily buy this one again.

We have this one too but with stainless steel doors.  Love it!  Like Lyn we didn't want the water dispenser either.  Plenty of space, love the freezer compartments (so many of the french door ones have freezer baskets which we didn't like).  We purchased it for a great price at 2ndsworld (carton damage only) and received a bonus portable air con too original.gif  Highly recommend it.

#8 madmother

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

We have the  Bosch 712 litre. We wanted one which HAd the water/ice dispenser, that the freezer could hold masses of pizzas and other frozen stuff for our server nights with 15 teenagers to feed.

It is stainless steel and fantastic! Hard plumbed, great internal shelving space.

It is our games room fridge and as such needed to hold masses of drinks, etc.

The french doors are wonderful!

We have an LG in our kitchen, the one with the twin doors (fridge/freezer) and TV in it.

I prefer the Bosch one thousandfold.

#9 Indi

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the replies.

QUOTE (MicM @ 23/11/2012, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like that the ice maker is hidden away and doesn't take up any space from the fridge.

I looked at that one today and quite liked it as you can use both doors for big things such as 3 litre bottles of milk.  Some of the others had really small door space because of the ice maker (which DH has decided is essential)

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 23/11/2012, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am dreaming of the new mitsubishi one - well it is multidoor does that count
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/Mitsu...frigerator.html
My girlfriend has it and wow it is awesome the vege crisper is just amazing.

What does your girlfriend put in the bottom little compartment in the main fridge (to the left of the eggs)  Couldn't work it out and there wasn't a sales person.

#10 i-candi

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

My LG refuses to die but now I want a new one and DH said he wants ice and water so now I'm looking at ice and water dispensers.

I would love love love a Bosch but I don't think it'll fit in my cavity sad.gif plus I'm the only one in the world that wants a white fridge !!!!!

#11 Lyn29

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 23/11/2012, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
plus I'm the only one in the world that wants a white fridge !!!!!

We had to get ours ordered in, as they only had stainless steel on the floor. But it suits our home much better and, as a bonus, is cheaper!

#12 minidiamond

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

OP if ice maker is essential you need to be aware (if you're not already) that you'll require plumbing to install that.

We have an electrolux french door

http://www.electrolux.com.au/Products/Refr..._door/EQE6007SB

which is brand new, and looks very sleek.  Had a Westinghouse before that but it was faulty (although they're the same manufacturers).  After we returned the W'house, I was tossing up the one we got & an LG with ice-maker/water but when plumber estimated $300 for ice maker, we opted out.  It just depends on where your pipes are, our fridge cavity isn't conveniently located.

I chose this one because the freezer was much more conveniently designed with compartments. My brief experience with the W'house chest freezer wasn't good - everything just ends up piled on top of each other & you can't tell where anything is.

#13 Silvers

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

I also have the Electrolux French door and love it.  It's very cleverly designed with a place for everything and is also very stylish which is a bonus.

#14 B.feral3

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (MicM @ 23/11/2012, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is ours and we bought it because no room is wasted in the door making ice and water. I love my fridge.

#15 B.feral3

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 23/11/2012, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love love love a Bosch but I don't think it'll fit in my cavity sad.gif plus I'm the only one in the world that wants a white fridge !!!!!

We so desperately wanted white but couldn't get one in the upper end models.  sad.gif

#16 PeggyLou

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

I just went and paid for this one - fridge today. original.gif

They have to order it in, I can not wait for it to arrive!!!!!!

#17 KristyMum-

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

We have an Electrolux too.

I didn't want an ice/water dispenser either so I was very happy that the model we chose didn't have one.

Far more room in the french door esp for large/3d cakes or decent size fish when/if we catch them.

Also you lose a LOT of space in the centre divider bar in a side by side and some of them wouldn't even fit my rock n serve Tupperware containers in.

thumbs up for French door here.

#18 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

We have a Bosch with ice/water.  Almost bought a Samsung from memory as it appeared to have a larger capacity, but on closer inspection the fridge part had more in the Bosch and was a smaller fridge externally, much more streamlined.

http://www.bosch-home.com.au/appliances/re...l?source=browse

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/home-ap...8MESL1/XSA-spec

#19 2bundles

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

I don't like them. I always find them pokey. If you do get one, make sure the doors can open really wide. If you have a wall next to the fridge the door won't open wide rough to get platters out etc.

If you buy frozen pizza or use platters, make sure they will fit.

#20 madmother

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (2bundles @ 24/11/2012, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't like them. I always find them pokey. If you do get one, make sure the doors can open really wide. If you have a wall next to the fridge the door won't open wide rough to get platters out etc.

If you buy frozen pizza or use platters, make sure they will fit.

Welooked at multiple fridges before deciding on this one. Our previous fridge was an upside down Westinghouse, and held loads. We found most of the single door larger ones were badly arranged and could not cater for platters, or lots of bottles.

We had no cavity, so we were not limited by size.

It holds platters easily, stores bottles in the multiple, is easy to utilise, and the freezer drawers are practical - unlike many!

I was wrong in my first post - it is the 762L like THIS one.

#21 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

I have the F&P one.  I dislike it because you need to open both doors to open the vege/meat bins, even though there are two separate bins on each level.  When we were looking, we didn't see many French door fridges (this one and the Samsung one) and they were both the same in this respect.

Other than that, I like it; the water dispenser is great for the kids (esp the little ones who can't reach the tap at the sink).

#22 Indi

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for all your feedback.  Have decided on the F&P mainly because of the slim water dispenser, means both doors can hold 2 or 3 litre milk bottles.

#23 i-candi

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (madmother @ 24/11/2012, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welooked at multiple fridges before deciding on this one. Our previous fridge was an upside down Westinghouse, and held loads. We found most of the single door larger ones were badly arranged and could not cater for platters, or lots of bottles.

We had no cavity, so we were not limited by size.

It holds platters easily, stores bottles in the multiple, is easy to utilise, and the freezer drawers are practical - unlike many!

I was wrong in my first post - it is the 762L like THIS one.

so sad our cavity is 1cm to narrow  cry1.gif

#24 jantastic

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

You've made a good choice with the F&P. I love our fridge, with the ice in the freezer and all the space for drinks etc.
The meat and vege chillers needing both doors open is annoying, but you do get used to it. Expect your visitors to whinge though!

#25 Tealdash

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Bit late..but we love our frenchie too..

we have this one http://www.electrolux.com.au/Products/Refr..._door/EQE6007SB

I love the extra wide door compartment for big bottles of milk and juice etc..

Would get another one of this style if I had too original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.