Do you think it is ok to swear at your children?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

I was in the shopping centre car park today and parked near another car. A mother got out of the car obviously in a bad mood and started telling at her daughter 'Hurry the **** up. How long does it f***ing take for ****s sake"  her about 4 year old daughter was trying to get out of the car crying her little eyes out. Now I don't judge a mum for being grumpy or being short tempered with a child especially seeing as though who knows how frustrating the child was being beforehand but I was really taken aback by the way the mum spoke to the little girl. I know I have lived a very sheltered life, no one ever spoke to me that way growing up or now. I think I would cry too if someone did!

Do you think it is ok to swear at your children? Do you do it in public or at home in private?

#2 MAGS24

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I don't think it's ok to swear at anytime, let alone around children.

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

No I don't and I never would. I had a friend in primary school whose mother would say things like "stop being such a moron" and call her kids idiots, and all sorts of things. I always felt really uncomfortable with it.

#4 claptrap

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

No.  Very far from ok  nno.gif

#5 ~ky~

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

No, but I admit to doing it on occasion.

#6 Lil Chickens

Never okay to swear at anyone but especially children.  That poor little girl.

I feel bad enough if I lose my temper and am short with DD  or DS let alone how I would feel if I swore.

#7 Duck-o-lah

Of course I don't think it's OK. Doesn't mean I haven't done it.

#8 Chocolate Addict

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I think you already know the answer. wink.gif

I don't even swear in front of my child, so no, I would not swear at him. But I tell you, when he is not in ear shot I can go off like a sailor. wink.gif

#9 noonehere

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

No never ok.

Dd a few weeks ago broke my script sunglasses $400 worth took a HELL of a lot for me to just walk away. Once she was in time out and i was out of hearing shot i let rip lol i cryed i was that angry.

Nobody is perfect but there is always ways to avoid swearing at your child.

#10 Roobear

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I don't think it is ever ok to swear at children sad.gif

I was in a store once and a lady with a baby in a stroller and a little girl suddenly stated yelling at the storeperson "**** you, you c***. You can shove your pathetic customer service up your fat a*se. You are nothing but a fat s*ut and I hope you crash your car on the way home coz at least that will improve your dog ugly face"

I was so shocked that I just stared slightly opened mouth at her. The lady's friend was laughing away and slapping her on the back. Her little girl was just wide eyed standing there. Poor poor child sad.gif

#11 mysonsmum

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hell no! I don't like it & I won't do it.

#12 katrina24

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

What chocolate addict said.  

We all make mistakes but it sounds like that mum might have been a regular.

I don't think it's really ok to swear at anyone, especially not kids.

#13 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

No, no one is perfect and we all make mistakes. I started this thread because I mentioned it to a friend - just a normal run of the mill mum like myself and her reply was that she would only do that at home. I was a bit shocked by that too and started to wonder if many people think it is acceptable. I kind of want people who might do this to know that it is not acceptable. I didn't say anything at the time of course as I probably would have gotten a mouthful as well and I guess not my place. I was also really mad that my own child was subjected to that in the shopping centre car park.
I'm mad because obviously this little girl is going to grow up thinking it is ok to be spoken to like this. It makes me think about my job as a teacher and how the way I speak to children in my class sometimes may be one of the few examples they have of how people should be spoken to and treated. It makes me want to be even more patient with them and caring towards them.

I hope people don't think this is a 'Look at me, I'm a perfect parent' type thread. I don't think the incident means the women is a bad mother and perhaps it was the way she was treated and it is what she knows. Some people think it is normal and I think that is sad.

#14 Relish*

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

No never okay. Under your breath is one thing but directly at a child, no way. Once upon a time I would've been really awkward seeing something like that but nowadays I'm old and grumpy and would probably say something. Swear in front of your own child if you like, but in public when my children are in earshot it's my business too. Poor kid.

#15 Feral Nicety

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

No it's not OK and is a form of abuse.

#16 scruff101

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

No way!  I don't even talk to my cats like that, let alone children.

#17 BearBait

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I feel so sad for the poor little child. I get frustrated too, but I leave the room/count to 10/breath etc. I don't want my kids to see me lose it & think that is an acceptable way to behave. At least it's not acceptable in my circle of friends & professional life. Maybe I'm sheltered but I consider it abuse.

#18 miinii

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Its never ok....ever.

But in all honesty im sure a large % of us have done t once or twice even though we know its wrong. Though that sounds extreme. Doesnt just sound like she accidentally let it slip :S

#19 chickendrumstick

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

I used to have a neighbour who I would always hear swearing at her ~6 year old children. It always made me cringe.

I think we are all human and slip up occasionally when we are very upset but as long as we explain ourselves later that we help our children to understand that we are only human and that we have been greatly upset.
I think that if someone is swearing regularly at their children it is a sign that they really aren't coping as a parent and need to seek help to find better strategies to cope.

#20 Mummy Em

Absolutely not ok. I'd rather see a child smacked with a flat hand once on the butt (though I don't think that is ideal either) than being emotionally abused as you have described.

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

I swear but I dont think its okay to swear at anyone. Of course it happens but casual swearing in conversation is really something I'm trying to stop doing. Telling someone to "hurry the **** up" is rude whether its a child or adult.

#22 FeralPerthFembo

No. That would never be okay.

I understand it could happen in the heat of the moment once or twice, we all make mistakes, but it's still the wrong thing to do.

Edited by JBaby, 23 November 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#23 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

No, I don't think it's okay at all. I think it's bullying and I think as far a 4 yo goes it's verbally abusive.

#24 libbylu

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

I don't think it's okay to swear at anyone, especially not a child.  I agree, it's verbal abuse.

#25 FaithHopeLove

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

No. I don't swear a whole lot, never at work cause that is unprofessional and never at anyone cause I feel that to be rude, unnecessary and often reflects badly upon the person doing the swearing. Definitely not at a child. It would hurt me to accidentally say something that hurt them and I would never do it on purpose.

Completely agree no one is perfect but that doesnt make it ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.