What can i do?
trouble with skip company

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 miinii

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Just wondering if anyone can help me...

We got a skip delivered last Saturday, we paid $350 when it was dropped off and was told it would definitely be picked back up Tuesday. Told them i need it picked up by then as we had an inspection Thursday and really did not want a massive (its a 6 metre skip) sitting out the front.

Tuesday came and went and the skip was not picked up. Called them ALL day Wednesday and nobody answered the phone or returned my call. Finally got through Thursday Morning and was told The guy would call the driver and call me back in 10 minutes. I got a text 5 minutes later asking me to text him my address because there is no record of it. I waited over an hour and heard nothing so tried calling all 3 numbers i have and nobody would answer.

Late Thursday (Well after our inspection took place) I sent a text to the number that texted me and asked that someone please let me know whats going on. i got a reply saying that the skip would be picked up first thing Friday morning. Well Friday morning came and went and still the damn thing is sitting out the front. So i was calling and leaving messages ALL day again no answer. Finally got through yesterday arvo at about 4pm. Told the guy it was still here and he once again said he would call the driver and call me back within 10 minutes.

This time i wasnt going to wait so when i didnt hear back within 15 minutes i called and surprise surprise.....no answer. Call all 3 numbers again and couldnt get an answer.

I have no idea what is going on and im starting to worry. DH is building a ute tray for a mate and his mate was meant to drop his car off Thursday arvo and couldnt because the skip is in the way. DH only really has this weekend to do it because from next week on we are very busy so no chance to do it until after Christmas.

Im getting so frustrated and angry but i dont know what i can do about it if anything?

ETA just got through and as soon as i said "Hi im calling once again abou tthe skip that is still out the front of my house" The phone went dead. I called straight back....NO ANSWER

Edited by miinii, 24 November 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#2 Carmen02

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

ill be tempted to call another company and have it removed lol If you finally get through to them again tell them if it isnt removed by a certain day you have to do that as it has been so long without someone coming to pick it up!

#3 miinii

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 24/11/2012, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Difficult because it's not like you can really do anything with it is there? Although it would seem tempting to call another skip company and see if they want a free skip... (don't do that though)! Phone the company and say you are making other arrangements to have it removed, they should get the hint.

Haha calling another company has been discussed. I like your idea of telling them im making other arrangements to have it removed. Might be worth a try

#4 casime

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Send them an email (with read receipt) stating they have until xx date to remove the skip or you will consider it abandoned and will be having it removed by a scrap metal dealer.  

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

I would do that I would also send them a letter by registered post telling them if it is not picked up by x you will have someone else pick up. I would also whilst it is fresh in my mind write everything down in the order you phoned. Just in case they want to play funny buggers.

#6 miinii

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

thanks everyone for the replies. I will e-mail them now (If i find an e-mail) and if its still here monday i will send them a registered post letter.

Its so very frustrating! I have no idea how they run a business when they dont ever answer the phone

#7 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (casime @ 24/11/2012, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Send them an email (with read receipt) stating they have until xx date to remove the skip or you will consider it abandoned and will be having it removed by a scrap metal dealer.

This. I did this with an oven that wasn't being collected by a company. I was phoning the store with no luck.  So I sent an email to the head office saying I'd sell it if they didn't get it(it was picked up the next day).

I had a very similar issue with a skip company, they were so dodgy. Also when they dropped it off they said it had to be paid for then, so I paid the $300 + dollars, when they came to pick it up, finally, they said I hadn't paid, I showed the receipt and he tried to tell me it wasn't his signature on the receipt!!! ohmy.gif

Keep your receipt and be firm on what you know. Goodluck.

#8 miinii

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

Gee Mummyone1 i wonder if it was the same company :S Are you in Melbourne?

Found their website and e-mail so am about to e-mail them

#9 miinii

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

It only gives me the option to E-mail them using the form on their webpage. It doesnt have their actual e-mail anywhere :S

#10 buttercup-bob

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

what terrible service. can you try doing a google search on the companies name? you might find an email address that way, or down the bottom of the page is there any further details? personally, I would not bother with an email and just send a registered letter..

#11 XieXie

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Not acceptable. I think you are within your rights of paying another company to remove it, and then recouping the costs from the first business.

#12 tibs

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

That's cheap, we just paid $500 for a 6m skip after an extensive ring around for the best price.

I've found with skips they pick them up when it is convenient for them, the days you pay for seem to be the minimum you get ours have always been picked up anywhere from 2 or 3 days to a week late.  PITA if you are cleaning up for a specific function or appointment like you were.

#13 JustBeige

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Is it on council land or on your front lawn?

If its technically on council land (nature strip), I think I would also ring your local council for advice.   I was just thinking that they should have some laws about skip bins and they may have the authority to remove them from council property.  If they do this under council authority, then the skip bin place needs to deal with them and their fines for leaving things on council land.

Otherwise call the Dept Of Fair Trade for advice.  They will probably tell you to send the registered letter, but they can also tell you what you can legally do if the letter is ignored.

#14 oliboli

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

A similar thing happened to us (in WA) - we had the skip bin for a month before they picked it up (only meant to have it for a few days)! - numerous phone calls with them telling us they were sending someone around to pick it up all amounted to nothing. We had it on a neighbours verge and all the lawn was completely dead by the time it was removed. It served a good place for the alcoholic down the road to throw her empty bottles though!

#15 Lyra

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (miinii @ 24/11/2012, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It only gives me the option to E-mail them using the form on their webpage. It doesnt have their actual e-mail anywhere :S

you might be able to access the email address is if you view the source code

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.