Can you help me name this plant?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 *Mands*

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Can anyone help me identify this plant in my garden? It is in flower at the moment - highly perfumed. photo

#2 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Jasmine.

#3 greatwon2

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

looks like a type of jasmine? Don't ask me which type tho lol

#4 sad small umbrella

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Leaves look too big to me to be jasmine.

#5 TheGreenSheep

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

? Star jasmine

#6 Romeo Void

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

I don't think it's Jasmine.  OP can you take closer photo's of the flowers and leaves/branches?  Do the flowers have a perfume?  Is it a shrub or a vine (looks shrubby but can't be sure)?  How tall is it?

Edited by Romeo Void, 24 November 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#7 idignantlyright

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I would say Star Jasmine as well.

#8 ~Mintie~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Looks like star jasmine to me.

#9 LB_K

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I have 2 kinds of Jasmine, one is star Jasmine and the leaves are that big.

#10 threeinnyc

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Yeah sorry that's not star jasmine. Star jasmine looks like this:

Star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)

#11 pinkcupcakes

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

my first thought was jasmina as well, although not star jasmine. ( whoa kenji, thats a lotta pics!) happy.gif could it be night jasmine? ( where the perfume is strongest at night) we have something similar.

#12 pinkcupcakes

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

grin.gif actually upon googling its not night jasmine. however i did learn there are about 200 varieties of jasmind so who knows, it could be.

#13 *Mands*

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

some extra photos:
I am pretty sure it isn't a jasmine of any kind. Thinking a privet? leaves / flowers

branches

branches

flowersflowers

flowers

thanks so much for the advice!

#14 Paddlepop

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Definitely a type of privet. A quick search shows that some varieties are declared weeds in some parts of Australia.

#15 Romeo Void

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Does this look like it
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?hl=en&...x=101&ty=48

If not have a look through these
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=privet+f...366&bih=639

#16 fancie

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Hi OP, another house in my street has that plant - it's perfume is so lovely that I asked them what it was.  The lady at the house told me that it was a privet.

#17 sad small umbrella

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

But every privet I have ever smelled is not lovely.  It smells of old boarding houses and drains.

Does your plant have small black berries after flowering?

#18 purplekitty

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Ligustrum or Privet.

ETA: If it is Privet which is a shrub ,rather than a climber like Jasmine, it will have black berries after the flowers.The leaves and berries are poisonous.
The pollen is highly allergenic causing asthma and eczema.

Edited by purplekitty, 26 November 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#19 threeinnyc

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

I'm with Balzac, I don't think it's privet.

What a pity the OP had removed the link, now we will never know...

cry1.gif

#20 Rukia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I guess a type of syringa, or lilac, they come in white and smell devine, is it deciduous?

#21 fancie

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Lilacs have softish leaves, the plant the OP has has quite stiff hardish leaves.

I still call privet.

This variety:

http://people.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/lisi.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.