What do you think this puppy is?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

A short time ago my parents adopted a purebred cocker spaniel lady who had puppies a couple of weeks later - apparently the previous owners had no idea she was pregnant and the only male they remember her being around was the next door neighbours cocker spaniel, but nobody knows for sure.

We will be giving one of the puppies a home - we had planned on getting a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel soon anyway as we always planned to after renovating and have decided that one of these would be great, their Mum is a beautiful, placid girl.

The puppies are now 3 weeks old, and we have chosen our beautiful girl but there has been a lot of speculation about what sort of breed they may be crossed with, so dog gurus of eb - what do you think?

Below are some pics of our gorgeous new family member taken today at 3 weeks old original.gif

Edited by ~She~, 24 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#2 nothing123

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Many purebred dogs are hard to distinguish at 3 weeks old - let alone a cross bred pup!  Their ears are undeveloped, their noses short (for feeding) and their coat immature so they don't really show breed features.

Post again at 8 weeks and if any breeds are showing through it will be more apparent.

#3 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yes they are changing weekly - and I need to correct myself they are 4 weeks old.

Thanks for the response I will repost in a few weeks original.gif

Removing picture now as it is too large also...

#4 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Agree.

Way to young.

#5 GlitterFarts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

aaawww sad.gif  I missed pictures of little furry squishies??? cry1.gif

#6 PatG

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Freakypet @ 24/11/2012, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aaawww sad.gif  I missed pictures of little furry squishies??? cry1.gif

Yup, it was pretty cute!!  Here is (a totally not related to this thread) photo to help those who missed out.

Edit to remove cute photo of random internet puppy as the real one has returned!

Edited by PatG, 24 November 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#7 GlitterFarts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

wub.gif  aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  hheart.gif

#8 my2earthangels

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

To me it looks like a labrador x

#9 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Sorry ladies - will repost, hopefully resizing worked. PatG that puppy looks a lot like them original.gif

#10 GlitterFarts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Edited by Freakypet, 12 December 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#11 dakotaskys

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif Awwww their both so beautiful! wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif Now I want a puppy lol grin.gif

#12 GlitterFarts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Edited by Freakypet, 12 December 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#13 *Spikey*

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Plenty of spaniel in that cute squishy face.

Wait till it gets a bit older, and you'll get a better idea of whether there is anything else in the mix.

#14 Red Cabbage

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Aww thats so cute!

#15 casime

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Lab X.  Those ears are too small for spaniel.   They're spot on for a lab.  Head shape is definitely lab.

#16 Scruffy Wuffy

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Awwww,puppy breath! Bit too young to possibly work out what it is breed wise. But a guess from me it looks like some Labby in there. But yea,like Spikey says post another puppy pic when they about 8wks,should get a better idea then. I have 4 pups I have been handraising since 10 days old and they are 6wks old next week & the change I have seen in them from then til now has been amazing!

#17 casime

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I will also add OP that b**ches can have litters sired by more than one dog.  So if there is variation between the pups it can mean that there is more than one sire.

#18 *Ker*

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yeah I would say Lab X too. I've had a lot of cocker fosters and they don't look anything like your pup.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Here is a link to purebred 4 week old cockers.
http://www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/15275

Longer ears and already getting the droopy eye feature going.

so I guess one thing you can now be sure of is that they are not pure!

What do oodle x pups look like?

Maybe the previous owners wanted a quick buck around Christmas and spoodles are still the 'in' thing.

Might just be cynical though....

#20 nellieb

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm going to go against the grain and say that gorgeous puppy looks pretty gosh darn cockerish to me.

Not necessarily show dog cocker, but cocker nonetheless.

#21 noi'mnot

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

I think that this puppy is cute.

I have no idea what breed it is, but thanks for posting the picture of cutes! original.gif

#22 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Freakypet @ 24/11/2012, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laughing2.gif DH saw me "awww" ing over the puppies and yelled from the other room "NO MORE PETS!!"

roll2.gif

Haha busted! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (casime @ 24/11/2012, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will also add OP that b**ches can have litters sired by more than one dog.  So if there is variation between the pups it can mean that there is more than one sire.

I never knew that! Interesting! I will post a pic of the other pups in the litter.

Oriental Lily, thanks for that link, I agree those puppies look different, but gorgeous little things <3

Scruffy Wuffy, wow that must be a lot of work, good on you! What a wonderful bond you must have with them. I know they will change I 'm just getting impatient to know laugh.gif By the way - love your user name, my childood dog was called Scruffy and he was the best, I still miss him so much cry1.gif

Just for fun here's some pics of the rest of the litter, this is the odd one out:

Edited by ~She~, 24 November 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#23 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

That almost looks a bit blue heeler like.
Or maybe the Merle is just coming from the cocker side of things.

What colour is the cocker?

#24 ~She~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

And one more of our beautiful girl wub.gif

#25 casime

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

What colour is mum?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.