3yo scared of her room

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hollysmama

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

About a week ago DD had a bad dream and after that she didn't want to sleep in her bed so I slept in the spare bed with her in the spare room for the rest of the night.  But now because of this dream she is scared of her room and she's waking quite a few times a night and coming into our room saying she doesn't want to sleep in her bed.  I don't want her in the bed with us as I don't get a good night's sleep and neither does DH.  I just want her to feel comfortable in her room again. It's never been an issue before. Any ideas on how I can make her room feel safe again?  I'm so tired yyawn.gif

#2 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

night light?

put a mattress on the floor in her room and sleep in there for a few nights . that has worked for me before.

#3 hollysmama

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I have tried the light, but she still gets up. We don't have a spare mattress, I might get one and sleep in her room if it means I'll get sleep.

I have tried spending more time with her in her room before bed trying to show her there' nothing to be afraid of, and tried turning a light on outside her room, but she's still scared.  She even told me tonight she's been getting up and sleeping on the couch!

Edited by hollysmama, 24 November 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#4 nic188

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

We have just been having this issue. Her dad now checks her room where ever she wants, so under the bed, behind the door, in the cupboards etc. He has to check for scaries (as she calls them) just before she goes to bed and he puts a toy lion and a tiger under the bed and they protect her and scare everything away. She now sleeps all night in her room

The other option i have heard works is you get a spray bottle of water, which is a magic spray that keeps everything away.

Just some ideas that work for us. Hope you can find something that works for you.

#5 123tree

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I saw on Super Nanny one night the grown up went into the bedroom and asked the kid what were the scary toys.  Then they took them all out of the room.  Then they got a torch and turned off the lights and asked the kid what were the scary shapes.  Then they used the torch to point to them and put them out too.  So then the kid was happier going to bed.

My nephew was scared of monsters until someone told him monsters were scared of ducks.  If he thought a monster was coming or was in his room he would just quack and then the monster would leave very quickly.  

The problem I have with "checking" for monsters is that maybe then the child would think that even Mum and Dad think they are real.  However every child is different and if it works then it works.

#6 adl

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

I suffered bad nightmares etc as a child...and some carried into adulthood as well..so I do feel for your DD... It is terrifying and hard to articulate....

But I agree with PP about finding what is scaring her and there are some great suggestions ...I have heard using dream catchers as special traps for bad dreams  and they only let nice dreams in????

#7 rob6712col

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

We have had that too but found "monster" spray worked a treat. We actually used the non smelling fly spray, told her it only worked when it was dark in the room and then sprayed around the window, under her bed, a light spray over the bed and around the door. She liked the sound of the can being shaken with the little ball inside.

We then had "monsters in my eyes". This was harder but I ended up getting some saline eye drops at the chemist and these were monster drops to keep the monsters away. These also worked great.

Sometimes my kids just like to sleep with the light on and if this makes them sleep and are happy then so am I.

#8 Just Another Cat

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (123tree @ 26/11/2012, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem I have with "checking" for monsters is that maybe then the child would think that even Mum and Dad think they are real.  However every child is different and if it works then it works.

This is my thought too. Same with the spray.

A few weeks ago DD told DP that there were monsters in her wardrobe, so he opened the door and 'scared' them away. It didn't help. The next night she screamed when he tried to put her to bed, so she ended up sleeping in our room.

The next night I sat on her bed with her,  she protested a bit, but then we just chatted. We talked about all the good things she did that day, just positive things. She did bring up monsters coming into her room, so I said 'who? Cookie Monster or Elmo?' (She loves Sesame Street), she thought for a second and then said something about Cookie Monster and how he was her friend. We read a few stories and she went to bed fine that night.Kids this age are so impressionable, try and make the scary thing a nice thing.

We also put away scary type books (like anything with a 'bad' character), and try to just talk about nice things before she goes to bed.

Good luck OP, when we had this trouble with DD I searched EB for help and there were a lot of topics on it, I think it's quite common for this age.

Edited by GrumpyTurtle, 26 November 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#9 LibbyCo

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

My niece had a similar situation, she'd often wet the bed. Comfort and acknowledgement is key as often the child feels vulnerable and insecure. Let her know its safe, stay with her and just be present where possible. Get some cheap mattress toppers too that are machine washable to spare her blushes if she also soils the bedwear

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.