Party Dress for 3rd birthday party

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Falcon

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

My DD is going to a 3rd birthday party today for her friend from daycare.

At all the parties of my friends mostly older children the girls have work party dresses, but when we had DD's party a couple of weeks ago the 3 daycare girls we invited wore shorts and t-shirts.

Are party dresses not the done thing anymore?

#2 intd242

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

Just guessing, but I'd think at that age dresses would be a bit of a barrier to crawling/climbing/playing etc.

#3 Aruneh

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Every 3 year old party I have been to has had all the girls wearing party dresses. These parties are often in the park also and kids are fine playing in dresses. Maybe these parents/kids just prefer shorts and tees?

#4 imamumto3

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

my dd would wear a party dress or a dress up every day of the week, no shorts and t shirts here!

#5 Shadowess

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

My DD has always worn a dress to the numerous parties she's been to. For her, it's a chance to dress up! But, we have had various degrees of dressing up at her parties. Some kids have been in their prettiest dresses, others have come in what looks like their gardening clothes! Whatever, as long as they're happy, it doesn't matter!

#6 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

My girls always wear party dresses. They actually wear them everyday though and each have a cupboard full. DD1 is only 6 and most of the kids at parties she goes to just wear shorts and tshirts but she doesn't care.

My girls don't see the dresses as a barrier to doing anything. They still manage to jump on jumping castles, run through sprinklers, and ride horses in them. DD2 wears them to daycare every day and manages just fine.

They have a stack of shorts and tshirts in pristine condition in the cupboard that they refuse to wear, so it's not like I'm not suggesting they wear more practical stuff.

#7 Frau Farbissina

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

pretty  much every girl under the age of 6 that I kow turns up to parties in lovely party dresses, fairy dresses, etc etc.

#8 my serenity

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Frau Farbissina @ 25/11/2012, 10:57 AM)
15106379[/url]']
pretty  much every girl under the age of 6 that I kow turns up to parties in lovely party dresses, fairy dresses, etc etc.

Same here occasionally you have the girls that prefer shorts and tops

#9 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Depends on the party.

My girls love to wear pretty dresses. But it it's a party at the park then it would shorts and t-shirts.

Maybe those little girls just don't like dresses? I don't think it really matters what they wear anyway.

#10 Arthur or Martha

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Edited by ambwrose, 12 September 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#11 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

It's pretty much a 50/50 split between party dresses and shorts/tshirts at the parties for that age group I've been to.  I've put my DD into both, depending on the location.

#12 adnama

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

If we are going to a play centre party or macca's where I know there is climbing and the likes I never put DD in a party dress unless she had stockings underneath.

#13 Bel Rowley

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I struggle to get my daughter into anything but a dress on a regular day, let alone a party day. She has never not warn a dress to every party she has been to from age 1, and the same would go for all the other little girls we see regularly.

#14 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Dresses don't seem the thing around here at the moment.  DD (4) has been to a few recently and "sets" top and skirts or short and skirts are definately much more popular.  Dd likes twirly, layered skirts or pettiskirts so she usually wears those with a nice top.  If it's at a park or maccas then shorts are more practical.

#15 Propaganda

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

All the girls wore dresses to a party my child recently attended at a bowling alley. Pretty dresses, but not ridiculously dressy. If they went roller skating or to a playcentre I wouldn't send her in a dress though.

I know that my child really enjoys wearing dresses to slightly special occasions, so I let her dress up whenever the chance arises.

#16 BiancaMumof2

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (ambwrose @ 25/11/2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My girls always did at that age.  I think birthdays are special and it's nice for kids to dress up for a party. How ever in saying that I usually wouldn't notice what some one else kids wore unless it was amazing or disgusting.

Margaret

I agree totally! My 3yo would refuse to wear anything but a dress to a party. She refers to shorts as 'boys clothes' hahaha. I bought my DD a dress from www.puddingpie.com.au because they are really well priced and pretty. I got this site off a friend of mine who's kids always look beautiful (She's one of those mums!) hehehe

#17 Julie3Girls

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

My girls were all definitely wearing dresses to parties at that age (admittedly, not many friend parties happening at that age).

Even now at 11,8 and 6, they will usually wear a dress, or skirt and top, to a party. DD3 age 6 wore a pretty party dress to bowling a couple of weeks ago - she'd bowl her ball, and then do a couple of dance twirls on the way back to her seat under the disco lights LOL  She's also worn it to a macca's party.
The key is that whatever they wear needs to be able to fine for play, and not going cause a freak out from mum if they dare to ruin it original.gif

The only party I can really recall that didn't involve dresses was one to the treetops adventure park (high ropes course, so needed to be harnessed in)

#18 arattiga

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Spare a thought for those of us that are new to the whole party thing rolleyes.gif .  As mum to 1 DD about to turn 3, it wouldn't cross my mind to dress in a "party dress" unless it was "suggested" on the invite.  While my DD would look pretty, she may not be in a party dress as I've never done this before!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.