Frozen berries BB 2011

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 poss71

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

As per title - I have a sealed bag of frozen fresh berries, with best before date of 2011. Can I cook with these? Or are they too far gone?

I don't want to poison the family, but they would have been tasty once and I'm wondering if they still are...

#2 livvie7586

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

open them and try one.  if it tastes funny, then don't use them.

Honestly, though, i think they'd be fine, and would use them myself

#3 laridae

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Open it up, eat one, if it doesn't taste bad it won't be.

#4 poss71

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

Should I taste one or should I get DH to do it?

#5 livvie7586

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

you do it.  if your DH is anything like mine, it would have to be green before he realised anything was wrong with it.  and one berry is not going to kill you or make you sick, especially seeing as if it is off you would spit it straight back out again.

the likelihood of them being off if they have been in a freezer/haven't been defrosted is very, very small

#6 poss71

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

*SIGH*

Oooooo-kaaaaaayyyyyyyy.

I'll taste them myself.

(Do I sound like a four year old being asked to do, well, anything?)

laughing2.gif

#7 poss71

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies.  I made a sauce for breakfast pancakes from the berries, cooked down with a little golden syrup, brown sugar and a dash of vinegar.

It went down a treat - and no one's poisoned! Although, there is some evidence of a sugar high going on in the lounge...

Oh, and I did taste them myself instead of experimenting on DH. I did the right thing in the end! In spite of all the whingeing. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.