Have you ever recognised yourself in an EB rant?
Spin off

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Catjinks

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Just reading a wedding rant(completely justified wink.gif ) with some very specific detail and it got me wondering, has anyone ever recognised themselves as the pillock (or worse) in a EB topic?

And if so, was it a reasonable relaying of the situation?

#2 rosiebird

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

No, but I always read the "Grrr!!! Arrogant doctor misdiagnosed me!" threads just in case  tongue.gif

Edited by rosiebird, 25 November 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#3 casime

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

No, but I'm always looking forward to the day that the subject of a vent comes in and tries to justify their position!

#4 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Is there a secret forum full of MILs which I don't know about....?

#5 JJ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (casime @ 25/11/2012, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, but I'm always looking forward to the day that the subject of a vent comes in and tries to justify their position!

I think that has happened a couple of times over the years.

I haven't recognised myself but I've definitely done things where I thought "gee, I hope no one sees me and posts a vent on EB" or "this would make a good vent for someone". tongue.gif

#6 andyk

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Oops.. off to delete my wedding rant now.. wwhistle.gif wwhistle.gif

Edited by andyk, 25 November 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#7 Chelli

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 25/11/2012, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a secret forum full of MILs which I don't know about....?

laughing2.gif I sure hope not!

#8 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Not specifically, but I have recognised the behaviour and had a second look in the mirror - I'm much more grown up about just dealing with stuff at the time now than I used to be, this is definitely part due to the threads of EB on passive aggressive behaviour giving me the guts to try it.

And I feed my kids yoghurt, ice cream, sultan, chips, white bread, fruit in general, sugar in general,  and often give them a second option at dinner if they dint like the main option.

And I'm still, and always will be, bogan.

#9 Catjinks

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Dinosaurus @ 25/11/2012, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and often give them a second option at dinner if they dint like the main option.

That one strikes me as basic kindness. How many adults dish themselves up food they dislike? But children are expected to have no dislikes, even with their sharper palettes.

I did at 8 months pregnant buy a whole heap of grog at a bottle shop for DH to give as gifts, and realised what a bad look it was on my way out. Don't think any EBers were watching that day, lucky!

#10 Feral_Pooks

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Not myself specifically. But there have been vents and other some such things where I realise I have been an offender of what they are talking about, and I have changed my behaviour.

One that springs to mind, because I felt so embarrassed about it, is I remember a mother of a child with special needs saying that when people say things like "your child is so lucky to have you for its mother", it's a very stereotypical and frustrating thing to hear. I have said that to carers at different times, because it was a genuine feeling I had. But it made me consider it more deeply and now I don't say it.

And another one is that I will now wee with my cubicle door open so I can see my son in his pram, rather than use an accessible toilet or wet myself or close the door and pray he is ok and hear him cry. Because I've seen too many vents about mothers leaving children unattended or using accessible toilets because they have a pram or trolley with children in it. I haven't had to do number 2s yet so I'll see how we go with that one...

#11 Futhermore

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

And another one is that I will now wee with my cubicle door open so I can see my son in his pram, rather than use an accessible toilet or wet myself or close the door and pray he is ok and hear him cry.

Really?  Public toilet weeing with the door open?  I think that might be one of those 'can't win' situations could I could fully understand someone posting a 'Gross!  Shut the door!' thread.  I learnt to pee and wipe while holding a baby, but again, someone could vent about the hygiene of that too.

#12 Catjinks

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (andyk @ 25/11/2012, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oops.. off to delete my wedding rant now.. wwhistle.gif  wwhistle.gif

Actually it was Livsh writing about her OTT SIL that got me wondering, what would her SIL think if she saw her behaviour described and responded too, or are some people in such oblivion that they wouldn't see themselves, even with very specific details.

#13 Feral_Pooks

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (~maryanne~ @ 25/11/2012, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?  Public toilet weeing with the door open?  I think that might be one of those 'can't win' situations could I could fully understand someone posting a 'Gross!  Shut the door!' thread.  I learnt to pee and wipe while holding a baby, but again, someone could vent about the hygiene of that too.

Virtually impossible with my baby. Tried, but he pulls my hair, tries to see what is in the toilet bowl, tries to throw himself on the ground... I go right down the last cubicle so no one gets and eyeful and the pram blocks view anyway.

#14 JustBeige

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

No, but like some of the PPs, I have had a  huh.gif  moment when I have read about something from anothers POV and then gone and reflected on my own thinking and behaviour.   Especially with the families of SN kiddos.  I never realised just how truly ignorant society (and myself) was about the myriad of SN kids.

I have recognised a rant about someone else, but only because I knew the person who was ranting on here.  It was a justified rant and very accurate description of what happened.

#15 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 25/11/2012, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There will be in another decade when all the current members kids have grown up.  wink.gif

I'm see a spin-off site - Essential Mother-in-Law.

Love it! I will be its no. 1 member.....

#16 JJ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 25/11/2012, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm see a spin-off site - Essential Mother-in-Law.

EMIL! Love it. biggrin.gif

I have to say there's a couple of vents I'd like to have, but on the off chance that it gets back to the person in question, I've been holding back.

#17 madmother

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 25/11/2012, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, but like some of the PPs, I have had a  huh.gif  moment when I have read about something from anothers POV and then gone and reflected on my own thinking and behaviour.   Especially with the families of SN kiddos.  I never realised just how truly ignorant society (and myself) was about the myriad of SN kids.

I have recognised a rant about someone else, but only because I knew the person who was ranting on here.  It was a justified rant and very accurate description of what happened.

Oh, that (and the other PP who mentioned it) make this mother of a child with SN feel very, very grateful. And happy.

Madame Catty -  do you have a child with SN?  huh.gif

#18 Feral Nicety

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (madmother @ 25/11/2012, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Madame Catty -  do you have a child with SN?  huh.gif

I don't think she does but I am sure that if she does have one ::assumes condescending tone as random stranger:: she will be the bestest mother that child could possibly have!  Why that child is SO LUCKY that God gave that child to her!  You only get the children that God thinks you can cope with so obviously MC would be able to do it so well!

Also can I share this poem about Going to Holland with you?  It's inspirational.

#19 madmother

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 25/11/2012, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fk me you guys go out of your way to get offended.  Go ahead then.  Get your knickers in a twist over nothing.

I think you would find a lot do, especially after years of such comments.

And I merely asked you a question, why are you getting your knickers in a twist?

*Oh, and a lot of us (not me so much nowadays but in the younger years, yes) are so bloody exhausted ALL the time that we have zero tolerance of crap*

#20 Feral Nicety

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 25/11/2012, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you're saying ALL parents of kids with SN feel the same way?  I highly doubt it.  My point wasn't that any way - it could be true - my point was I wouldn't believe everything I read on EB.

Of course nobody believes everything they read on EB.  That would be stupid.

I just don't get why you singled out that old chestnut about parents of kids with SN are always wonderful.  We're not and most of us are human enough to get annoyed by platitudes.  I've actually never met any parent of a kid with SN who did like being told they were wonderful just because they had a kid with SN.

#21 Angelot

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Back on topic, but there was the thread a member started about her relationship  with her adult daughter, which a friend saw and showed the daughter, who then joined to comment.  That one was rather epic.

#22 ~Winter~

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Not on EB but I did see posts about myself and a friend on another forum. All untrue and over exaggerated but the person got called out on it and the friendships have never been the same since.

They figured because no one knew who they were they could write whatever fit the thread  huh.gif

#23 Justaduck

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 25/11/2012, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But how do you know all the parents feel like that one mum?  According to EB, all teachers hate chocolate and throw away home-made food but love personalize cards that they keep in a box forever.  Somehow I'm not buying that one

I love chocolate but got given far too much and it went to waste. I do have my cards from kids in years past in a box. Not sure how long I will keep them but have some from 8yrs ago when I first started. Will eat home made food if it is something I like in the first place

#24 EffiesMum172

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Edited by EffiesMum172, 26 November 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#25 Melidia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

So you're saying ALL parents of kids with SN feel the same way? I highly doubt it. My point wasn't that any way - it could be true - my point was I wouldn't believe everything I read on EB.

So rather than doing what the PP did and use the feedback given to her to reflect on her own behaviour and at least try and see things from another's point of view, you are determined to discard any feedback as "well, I'm sure not ALL SN parents feel that way" and stand firm in your resolution to be potentially offensive in your offhand platitudes which serve only to highlight your ignorance.

Good for you.   rolleyes.gif

No, but like some of the PPs, I have had a   moment when I have read about something from anothers POV and then gone and reflected on my own thinking and behaviour. Especially with the families of SN kiddos. I never realised just how truly ignorant society (and myself) was about the myriad of SN kids.

Thanks.  It means a lot.  original.gif

Back to the topic at hand:

I haven't ever recognised myself in a vent, nor have a recognised anyone I know.  Even if I did it wouldn't be a big deal.  Everyone needs to vent sometimes and perhaps the person venting is doing it so that their friendship/relationship won't be affected by their feelings?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.