Bucket List
If you knew you were going to die "soonish"...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 weekendsrule

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

So, suppose you are terminally ill, and you have a couple of kids under 8-10 (so, can't tell them, and can't let them decide and have no money lmao)...

What sort of things would you put on your bucket list?  What would your priorities be?  Would you be more prone to setting up their education and stuff, or would you rather blow it all on a good time that they will remember forever?

Just musing...  I don't know that I like the idea of waiting until I'm 70 to have a bucket list...  just in case.

#2 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

For me it wouldn't be about anything but creating lasting fun memories with my kids and taking loads of photos and video. Assuming the dad is still alive I would create a video for each child for special birthdays like 16th, 18th, 21, engagement, wedding that that watch at those times. Maybe a little money for each from super if possible.

I think memories for them would be more important than going skydiving or activities for just me.

#3 roses99

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

I think if I was really in that situation (as opposed to just musing about it), the idea of a bucket list would mean very little to me. I'd just want to spend all the time I could cherishing my family and making memories with them. And - as the PP said - recording videos and writing messages for the kids.

A friend lost her dear little boy (two years old) just two months ago, and that profound loss has inspired me to make real changes next year. I'm cutting my DD back to two days of daycare, I've turned down two jobs and cutting back on my existing work. My priorities are going to be different  original.gif

#4 ~ky~

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

My sister in law found out that her cancer had returned and was incurable just before Christmas 2 years ago. She told no one, not even her husband.

She took her family away to a small country town for Christmas where they relaxed, read stories together and were just together iykwim. Three weeks later, she was bedridden and passed away at the end of April 2011.

Her 4 kids and DH have those menories of long, hot days relaxing in hommacks, reading together and just "being" to hang onto.

I would want to do something similar ...

#5 JJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Please tell me you're not talking about yourself L? ohmy.gif

I'm not sure what I would do - I wouldn't have money to spend on a bucket list anyway, so I guess I would just focus on spending time together and making memories, as a PP said.

But I think it's one of these situations where you can't really say for sure unless it happens to you.

#6 Cherish

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

This better be a hypothetical....!

#7 weekendsrule

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

I had a great reply before but EB went all wonky on me...

Hmm... My life expectancy has declined, yes.  But it's not complicated so much as no one knows anything...  There's no reason to worry yet.  There IS reason to start thinking about it.  My EDS is causing complications that have no cure - but as it's so rare... no one knows "how long".  Could be 12 months, could be 15 years, maybe even longer.  Could live until I'm 90... Who knows?  I've been "stable" for three months now, so that is great news original.gif

For the time being, I'm fine.  So don't worry original.gif  I just ...  I don't want to get really sick and then think "I should have done this while I could" you know?  And the thought of it all - I just cry and can't think, so I was hoping for some ideas original.gif  I like the country town/reading idea original.gif  That sounds great!

#8 roses99

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'm so sorry, OP.

I was hoping this was just hypothetical. And I'm glad that it still is, in a way.

But I do still think that the main thing is time. Just make sure you spend the best, quality time with your kids that you can.

My parents used to do a monthly 'thing' with each of us. Such as, in January, Dad did something with me, and Mum did something with my brother, then the next month Mum did something with me etc.

The 'things' were simple, I remember Dad taking me to the movies and Mum taking me to a ballet. Dad took my brother to an airshow. Things like that. But we both still remember those experiences - vividly! Even though we were only really young. I don't remember most of the stuff they bought me, I remember the things we did. I remember Dad making me a balance beam in the backyard and helping me practicing balancing because the PE teacher said I was a bit of a klutz. I remember Mum taking me out of school early because it was such a hot day that she thought I'd like to go swimming  wink.gif  These are the things that kids remember, these are the things that made my childhood a happy one.

Gosh, this has all inspired me now! Thanks, OP. I'm going to spend the Christmas break thinking of ways I can intentionally 'hang out' with my kids and give them experiences to remember. The reality is, health problems or no health problems, none of us know how much longer we have.

#9 Chchgirl

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

xx

Edited by Chchgirl, 27 November 2012 - 04:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.