Recommend a protein shake

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mumma Franklin

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Can someone recommend a brand of protein and where it can be purchased?I prefer vanilla flavour.I have started my weightloss journey 5kg down 25 to go!And how to encorporate them into my diet would be super helpful I am so clueless hen it comes to this stuff and knowing what to eat and when that's why I'm going through reading everything in this forum original.gif

#2 hiddensecrets

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

My friend is on herbalife and lost 5kg in a month using thir shakes AND cheating daily. From what I hear you drink two a day (as with things like optifast and celebrity slim) then eat a well balanced meal. Snacks should be fruit, veggies or something high in protein rather than carbs. In saying that not many like herbalife as they say its a scam. I'm giving the shakes a go soon via my friend but with no obligation to keep it up etc

#3 mum2_1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

my husband and I are also getting results with herbalife, i havent tried the vanilla but I know that they have it- im not sure where your located, but if you pm me i can put you in touch with who i get it through, if you are interested in trying it.
FYI DH has lost 5 kg in 5 weeks and is replacing 2 meals with the shakes- but is not generally careful about snacks
i have lost 5 kg in 5 weeks replacing 1 meal but am generally making healthier choices for lunch, dinner and snacks

#4 MrsMJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

if you're after a protein to use in conjunction with exercise (not a meal replacement program) my PT put me on to Evolve Lipo Whey.
I used to exercise 4 times a week and never saw results, after he put me on the protein i found my body was much more toned, and i was losing weight in places that never used to budge.

It come in a few different flavours, I've only tried the chocolate but its better then any other brands I've tasted. i think i pay $75 for a 1.25kg tub and that lasts me about 8 weeks.

Edited by MrsMJ, 26 November 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#5 #YKG

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

I use redback you can get it at some chemistware houses but you can check on their website for a stickiest in your state. I mix mine into Greek yoghurt with fruit (mix it into the yoghurt before adding the fruit) I also mix it with cottage cheese and sprinkle on my cereal. I don't drink it because I don't like the taste but I don't taste it when adding to food.

#6 Mumma Franklin

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Yes MrsMJ I am after one to use in conjunction with my diet.
Have tried meal replacer ones and not a fan didn't work for me, I enjoy food!

Thank you I'll be sure to check these ones out.

#7 melajoe

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I've been having the Healthy Mummy smoothies (from http://www.losebabyweight.com.au/ ) and have been really happy with them.  Although they state they're not a meal replacement shake, they recommend that you have two a day (replacing breakfast and lunch) so essentially they are.  But I have been having one each day for breakfast, along with tidying up my diet in general, and have lost almost 5kg in two months.  I haven't really been exercising.   I am food obsessed so wasn't sure how I would go with not having a "proper" breakfast but you can put other things in the smoothie - yoghurt, fruit etc, so it feels like a meal and I am rarely hungry afterwards.  I like that they have added fibre too.  

#8 Bazinga

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Look into clean eating or paleo diets. Cutting out processed foods and changing white food eg. white rice, white floor for brown alternatives eg. brown rice, quinoa, cous cous, wholemeal meal.

Make the change a permanent one and don't give in to all the hype of meal replacements shakes or diet pills. Take care of your nutrition and your body will take care of itself.

www.aminoz.com.au I find are very cheap for supplements.

I use Body - shaping protein for women. If I'm in a rush I'll have a shake for breakfast (with some yoghurt and fruit) or as my snack otherwise I have it after my workout (within 30 mins)

#9 Wyrmbait

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (Bazinga @ 26/11/2012, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look into clean eating or paleo diets. Cutting out processed foods and changing white food eg. white rice, white floor for brown alternatives eg. brown rice, quinoa, cous cous, wholemeal meal.

Make the change a permanent one and don't give in to all the hype of meal replacements shakes or diet pills. Take care of your nutrition and your body will take care of itself.

www.aminoz.com.au I find are very cheap for supplements.

I use Body - shaping protein for women. If I'm in a rush I'll have a shake for breakfast (with some yoghurt and fruit) or as my snack otherwise I have it after my workout (within 30 mins)

Listen to the above advice.  Change your diet for life.

International Protein is one of the cleanest protein's you can get (less filler and aspartine) for a good price.
www.aminoz.com.au is good site to use.

#10 lewis

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I use cytosport whey protein vanilla, it is yummy mixed with water but YUMMIER if u mix with lo fat milk. It is low in fat/carbs and has 20g protein per scoop. You get it from health food shops.

#11 TaGB

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I used Isowhey Complete. It it a high protein shake and can be used as a meal replacement. I used to blend it with greek yoghurt and a banana. I lost 18kg using this before falling pregnant. I will definitely use it again.

#12 strawberrycakes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

I use Dymatize Nutrition Elite Whey Protein Isolate.  It is only 114 calories per scoop with 24g of protein & only 2g total of carbs.

I get it from supplement shops or from gym workout stores, it costs about $85 odd dollars from memory but lasts us (DH drinks it daily too) a month.

It comes in chocolate, vanilla or berry flavour, we currently have the verry flavour & it is delicious.  I just mix mine with water but DH will sometimes use milk & he also adds it to cottage cheese or greek yoghurt.

I have a protein shake for breakfast & may have one for a quick snack.  

Be careful with those 'meal replacement' shakes, they tend to be high in carbs & fillers.

#13 *~dee~*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

International protein is really yummy on it's own with water, or in a smoothie. I like that you don't have to mix it with milk (more calories). I have a smoothie most weekday mornings. You can get it at lots of Supplement stores. I have also tried Maxines Burn which I liked also, and is a bit cheaper.

You have protein shakes to help repair your muscles after workouts, or add to a smoothie or cooking.

Clean eating is the way to go. I have never felt better since I started and my dd is so much healthier now I don't buy packet things.

#14 strawberrycakes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

You have protein shakes to help repair your muscles after workouts, or add to a smoothie or cooking.

Clean eating is the way to go. I have never felt better since I started and my dd is so much healthier now I don't buy packet things.

Agree, I do heavy weight training 3 - 4 times a week so have protein shakes for breakfast for the purpose of helping to maintain & repair muscles, I have another after a big workout if my dinner isn't high in protein.

We also eat clean, my dh has been for a couple of years now (he is a bodybuilder) & I started a couple of months ago.  Honestly I cannot explain how amazing I now feel, I have lost over 10kg now in as little as 2 months & I just feel great. I no longer get any bloating or heartburn which I used to get regularly & even my skin has changed.

I have noticed a big difference in DD too, she eats what we eat & she has also lost weight (not that she really needed to but she has slimmed down & looks quite fit for a kid), she has more energy & is just generally a happier kid.

Eating a clean calorie controlled diet is far better than having shake supplements. Those shake diets don't work especially in the long run.

#15 theb3an

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

of all the protein powders i've researched i've come to find that vegasport performance protein is the cleanest.  many powders are loaded with filler crap but i like this one because it's free of gluten, soy, dairy and a few other things.  it's an all-natural plant based protein; vegan too.  i'm not a vegan but i like that it's so clean.

#16 Tree Sage

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

Sculpt shaping powder.
http://www.sculptforwomen.com/products.htm#fragment-1

So far I have lost just over 50 kgs.
I eat clean and use sculpt as my snacks for morning and afternoon tea.
Now that I have upped my workouts I use it post workout too.

tastes better than other brands I have tried too and doesnt leave that gross fake sugar taste in your mouth.

#17 intrigued

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

I would go for a shaping protein as well rather than a meal replacement as they tend to have a much higher protein content and less 'crap'.. It's also meant to be better to choose a Whey Protein than Soy Protein.
I use Sculpt or Aussie Body Perfect Protein. They both taste better than most powders out there on their own. I have tasted some truly hideous ones in the past. Sculpt do little sample sachets so you can see if you like it before buying a tub..

I make the following shake for breakfast (alternating with scrambled eggs or porridge in winter):

1 - 2 scoops of protein powder
1-2 handfuls of baby spinach
a few berries (strawberries or blueberries) and half a banana (frozen so the smoothie is nice and cold and creamy)
some water
daily fiber mix
you can add some plain low fat yoghurt to make it more filling (1 - 2 tablespoons)

The smoothie is delicious and it will fill you up for a lot longer than having only the protein shake, plus you get the added goodness of the spinach and fruit. they do say that you should limit fruit when trying to loose weight, but having a bit is fine, especially if you are having it in the morning when you will be up and about all day..

Teresa Cutter also has some really nice weight loss smoothie recipe on her www.thehealthychef.com.au website which would give a bit of variety.

I can also second the clean eating advice. That really works for me not just in weight maintenance but also for general wellbeing and energy levels and amazing skin. Snacks for me usually are cut up raw veggies (capsicum, carrot, snowpeas) and some nuts..

Good luck :-)

#18 iavy

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

My personal trainer put me on to sculpt post training. It's delicious and I really look forward to it.
I also use it for a quick breakfast if I'm running too late to make some eggs etc.

You can buy it on eBay for $25

I've lost 10kg over the last 8 months

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.