Hand Foot and Mouth?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aple224

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Last Tuesday evening my DD3 complained about her mouth/throat hurting after eating the tiniest piece of avocado (she is a very fussy eater and we are trying to get her to taste a new food each day). I thought it was an over reaction to not wanting to eat the avocado, so just let it go.

On Wednesday she complained that her mouth hurt everytime she ate or drank. We used a torch to look in her mouth and noticed little blisters with red dots in the centre all over the inside of her mouth (cheeks, gums, roof) and largish white blisters under her tongue.

On Thursday I took her to the Drs (not my normal GP) and she put it down to mouth ulcers and I was told to give her panadol and use oral teething gel. Thursday night was the worst night ever, she woke up screaming in pain at about 11pm, I gave her Nurofen but that made it hurt more. I managed to convince her to let me put the SM33 in her mouth which made her scream and cry hysterically due to the taste and the pain of me touching her mouth.

Today it is still painful for to eat and swallow. She isnt sleeping properly and I get up to her crying 3-5 times a night and she usually end up in bed with me. She has been living on milk, vanilla yoghurt and custurd for the last week.

Do you think this could be hand foot and mouth? She has no other blisters anywhere on her body just inside her mouth.

#2 Natttmumm

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

You usually get a temperature before the blisters with hand foot and mouth. My girls had it a while ago and they did have the mouth ulcers and one or two spots on the feet. The both had a temp of 39 the day before we noticed the spots.

It was horrible and the ulcers lasted around about 10 days. We let them live on soft foods etc. It will pass!!

#3 AlexandraI

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

My kIds got temperatures and  listers on their hands and feet more noticeable than those in their mouths. I don't think eating/ drinking bothered them too much. DD also got sores all over her body - DS didn't.

Edited by AlexandraI, 27 November 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#4 Elemenopee

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

My boys were quite hot and listless before they came out in spots, it was very obvious they were getting sick. Their hands and feet were covered in a small, red, raised rash.
If it is HFM, I just wanted to let you know that in one paticular strain of HFM, some toe nails and finger nails peel off about 6-8 weeks after they have had it. I had no idea that this could happen and so it was very scary when I noticed my boys fingernails and toenails beginning to lift. But it didn't hurt them at all, and they grew back perfectly.

#5 whydoibother

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

I found sm33 etc really stings (I have lupus and get mouth ulcers) so I use xylocaine jelly 2% instead it doesn't hurt as much just ask your chemist

#6 whale-woman

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (Natttmumm @ 27/11/2012, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You usually get a temperature before the blisters with hand foot and mouth. My girls had it a while ago and they did have the mouth ulcers and one or two spots on the feet. The both had a temp of 39 the day before we noticed the spots.

It was horrible and the ulcers lasted around about 10 days. We let them live on soft foods etc. It will pass!!

ditto.

I got it too along with DD. 40 degree temp. Feeling TERRIBLE.  DD was only 9 months and she was all floppy and ended up going to ED where they didn't find anything. The blisters came maybe 1-2 days later. Terrible sore throat -I  could only eat cold baby mush foods. Then the blisters. DD only had a few on hands/feet and wouldn't show us her mouth. my hand/feet were COVERED. It was extremely painful to walk. think of a week off work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.