Do you think expensive shoes (heels) are more comfortable?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 jo-v

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm a thongs/trainers type of person usually but do like to wear a nice pair of heels for a night out. I'm just getting heartily sick of having sore feet! I don't usually spend much on shoes, think Rubi/Big W/K Mart type shops but DH has his Xmas do coming up and I'm thinking of splashing out on a more expensive pair...

Do you think expensive shoes are more comfortable? Can't stretch to your designer types but am willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a one off  black pair for going out, as long as they won't kill my feet within minutes of putting them on. sad.gif  I've tried all the heel guards and sole things but they don't really help.

Do you think it's down to how they're made/materials or are heels just universally uncomfortable?

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

I think heels are universally uncomfortable, but can be less so if you spend more. I bought ballroom dancing shoes for our wedding and they were much more comfortable than regular heels, but they have leather soles, so they're not practical for everyday.

R

#3 Castille

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

cheap shoes are definitely more uncomfortable - it's mainly the materials they're made of.
However, even expensive heels can be somewhat uncomfortable, depending on the style.

My advice - start looking early and try on lots of styles to find what you want. Then wear around the house first to wear in.  Good luck!

#4 credence

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I think that generally more expensive shoes are better made and more comfortable (there are always exceptions of course).

You'll pay more for leather inners and uppers and more sturdy constructions. Better made shoes should in theory mould to your feet and let them breathe, so yes, more comfortable.

#5 little birdy

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

My suggestion would be to make sure you buy leather shoes, if possible (not the ones made from synthetic materials. This may mean that you may have to pay a little more, but the comfort factor is well worth it.

Leather shoes will mould to your feet, and I find are less likely to make your feet sore. Synthetic materials often have less give, and do not allow the feet to breathe, which can cause sweating and blisters.

#6 livvie7586

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

sometimes OP it's just the luck of the draw.  my most comfy pair of heels is a pair from Target that get pulled out every time i go somewhere that calls for them.  my expensive pairs barely see the light of day

#7 FlamingoG

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I agree that the more expensive they are, the more comfortable - plus of course they last longer. I prefer Spanish shoes generally - they are usually much better made and better for your foot.

#8 StinkerSlinker

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

No, I've got expensive heels and they hurt!
I stupidly keep wearing them to reduce the price-per-wear until I get another (cheaper) pair.

#9 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

In a word, yes. Only buy shoes made in Italy...never buy shoes made in china. Only buy leather. That's my advice!

#10 julzely

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

What ever you buy make sure you break them in before your big night.

#11 niggles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I think certain brands are more comfortable.

RMK are excellent. I've had several pairs over the years and been able to wear them happily.

Also put the shoe up against the wall when you are considering buying it. Make sure all parts of the shoe are flat. If there are weight bearing sections that don't sit flush then it's your foot that's going to be bending and pushing them into the ground when you walk.

#12 tamjk

Expensive heels can be just as uncomfortable as cheap heels, in fact the two most comfortable pairs of heels I've owned were clearance ones from Kmart and Big W. I paid $8 for the ones from Kmart and ended up shelling out over $600 to keep that pair of shoes wearable. I had them resoled numerous times and the straps got restitched twice before the cobbler told me they were beyond salvation.

For comfortable to walk in heels look for ones with a similar sole structure to the Birkenstock ones, you want a platform for your heel to rest one. Also look for styles with a 'soft' heel, the part that rubs up against the back of your foot. If that bits soft and pliable you are less likely to get blisters there from them rubbing.

#13 MrsLexiK

I have one pair of expensive designer brand heels, they are about as high as the rest of my "normal" heels which are the $70 - $100 end (so not cheap by the average person but also not expensive by the average person) I used to wear heels every day and even now I am wedges a bit (I can't tell the difference between cheap, medium or expensive wedges though) I felt like I was walking on heaven when I put these shoes on, they fit perfect and feel like I am wearing a much smaller heel then I am.  I would happily walk around the shops or the city in those heels likeI would a pair of thongs.  I have other heels which are a bit lower then them which I would do the same in that are from the $70-$100 price range.  I wouldn't walk around all day shopping in the ones which are higher then that or the same hight from the $70 - $100 price range.  

I will admit that I have a lot of shoes (far too many) If I had a normal person collection I would stick o three or so pairs of good quailty (as in a couple of hundred of dollars) heels as I do think they are much more comfortable.  If you wear heels everyday though I find for day - to - day things (ie not shopping until you drop or walking around the supermaket all day etc) your more medium priced heels are fine.

#14 JustBeige

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Yes I think they are.  generally.

Having said that, my most comfy pair of heels/wedges at the moment are from Rivers.   I knew they were comfy because when I tried them on my feet sighed with happiness.

I agree with going and trying pairs on and not at Kmart or Target.

#15 jo-v

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Thanks guys, it sounds like it might be worth investing in a nice leather pair but I'll have to try lots on first, what a shame!  wink.gif It probably doesn't help that my feet don't have a chance to get used to them as I don't go out often enough.

I do usually find wedges more comfortable but wore a pair out a few weeks go (about fourth wear so not brand new) and by the end of the day I thought I was going to have to remove a toe!  Ouch!

#16 *LucyE*

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Generally, yes if the cost is going towards quality materials and workmanship. No, if the price is going towards marketing.

Don't look at the price, go with something that is comfortable. It also depends on your foot and the styles that suit it.

Something reasonably priced is Diana Ferrari Supersofts. You also don't necessarily need sky high heels for it to be dressy and glam.

Start wearing them at home to break them in.

#17 EBeditor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Diana Ferrari and Nine West are two brands which I find quite comfortable and don't cost a fortune. It really depends on heel height, what the sole is made from etc though. Natural materials are better as they are usually more soft adn flexible.

#18 statua angelam

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

One other tip is to look for a shoe with a wide last (that is, that is not narrow across your foot).  Even a tall heel will be more comfortable if your foot isn't squeezed down its length.

#19 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

TBH as someone who's shoe collection ranges from Kmart to Designer some of my most comfy heels have come from Kmart. Whilst in some cases expensive shoes can be more comfortable BUT it really does depend on your foot in relation to the shoe, your arch/instep.
I have a high arch of my foot so need a heel that supports that. I have found those at various places. You need to try on and walk in circles around the shoe department for at a minimum 15 minutes. If they hurt try another pair. Wedges tend to be more comfy then stilettos as they distribute the weight more evenly on your foot where as stilettos the bulk of your weight is on the ball of your foot. Also try get a heel with a slight platform as they tend to have a bit more padding at the ball of the foot. If you feel you need a little more padding get some gel inserts they are amazing.

#20 WinterIsComing

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have to say it is the luck of the draw. Lately, I have found that Florsheim make comfy women's shoes. They look good too! Nine West have all been horrible for me.

#21 Ally'smum

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I work in shoes so feel qualified to answer.

Yes, you get what you pay for.

The cost per wear on an expensive pair will work out cheaper than a cheaper pair in the long term.

If you can afford all leather, then go for that, or at least all leather lining and upper. Try on your size then try on half a size bigger and see how that feels, there will be some 'give' in the leather, but don't buy something you need to stretch.

With stockings on they will feel looser, with bare feet tighter so know try them on how you want to wear them, walk around in the shop for at least 5 minutes.

If you are going for a really high heel, something with a built-in platform will be more comfortable.

If you need to wear them with heel grips or party feet then don't get them, a well made shoe will not need these and party feet are synthetic so can 'burn' your feet and really make them hurt.

Expensive shoes will feel much better because they update their lasts for each range, while a cheaper range will use the same last over a number of styles to get their value out of it.

I used to work in the cheap end of the market and never wore our stock because the materials used in cheap shoes are terrible, even the 'leather' is not 100% leather, I think it only needs to be 60% to be called genuine leather.

Try on a lot of different styles, the ones that are immediately comfortable are the ones for you!

#22 lexington

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

My Louboutins are the most uncomfortable heels ever on earth. But i persist in wearing it to certain events. I just cannot walk... do not laugh.

#23 cardamom

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (*LucyE* @ 27/11/2012, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something reasonably priced is Diana Ferrari Supersofts. You also don't necessarily need sky high heels for it to be dressy and glam.

I dislike heels, and very rarely wear them as they hurt my feet so much, but bought a pair of Supersoft heels a few weeks ago and have found them to be very comfortable.

#24 JediMindTrick

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I think as a general rule, yes. But you need to make sure the shoes you buy fit YOUR feet and are comfortable to start with.

I gave up on the cheaper shoes because they always gave blisters and no amount of wearing in would help. I bought a pair of Wittner's, low heel admittedly as I never wear any type of heel, and I didn't get sore feet or blisters after wearing for 12hrs and I didn't even wear them in. They felt great in store and continued to. If you are like me and never wear heels, that may be part of the problem. The lady at Wittner's told me to start small and work my way up & I tend to agree. Going straight into a high heel is gonna be painful no matter the shoe.

Other times I try on numerous shoes or boots and can't find any that fit my feet properly. You need time to shop around. Jeans, swimmers, bras and shoes.. most annoying things to shop for!

#25 Wahwah

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

I tried a pair of shoes on in Zara today, looked cute and were super cheap. And the moment I put them on I just knew that my feet would hate them.

I find that cheaper shoes tend to stretch (think sandal style or a high court shoe) and once that happens my foot has to work harder to stay in them.

And then there's the synthetic lining - ergh yuk, sweaty feet!

I probably average $250 on a pair of work / dress shoes and they last for years and years. I've got high heel shoes that are 10 years old, in classic styles that I still wear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.