Write me an itinerary for Singapore for a week with an 11 and 13 year old - please.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Have decided to head to Singapore for a week or thereabouts in the Easter holidays.  Thought we would stay in Singapore for a few nights in maybe the Fairmont?  We would spend the rest of the time on Sentosa Island? I know they are not that far away form each other travelling back and forward could get expensive.  We have no idea of what there is to see and do, so al list or sample itinerary would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

What does your family like to do?  Why do you like the fairmont?  

The main things to do in Singapore are: eat and shop. What are your kids into?

We have stayed at the SwissHotel Marchant Court. It's got A water slide and more kid friendly pool (rambunctious, noisy play is accepted compared more business-y hotels). My current favourite is the Mandarin Oriental with its awesome restaurants and staff. But it's definitely aimed at the business traveller rather than families.

Marchant court is close to a MRT station. And taxis are dirt cheap. The Mandarin oriental is across the road from the Marina shopping centre which is huge.

Our general thing would be to sight see or shop in the mornings, have lunch and then chill out at the hotel in the afternoons by the pool. Then go out for dinner, explore some more and find dessert somewhere. Finally back to the hotel to sleep.

Touristy things to do would be the zoo, bird park, various heritage centers, raffles hotel, universal studios, the marine park and new gardens (I haven't been to the last two yet). If they're into Lego, maybe a day trip to Lego world?

Check out their tourism website (your Singapore???). It's pretty comprehensive.

#3 steffijade81

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

We have been 5 times and always stayed at Swissotel Merchant Court as well. It's right on Clarke Quay so you have easy access to all the restaurants and night life by foot, short stroll down to chinatown (heaps of markets and exciting for half a day). I'd do 1 day to Sentosa. Raffles Hotel for high tea is a must but make sure your dressed formally or you won't be let in. Shopping is amazing.

Wake up have a humongous breaky at Merchant Court (included)
Head out shopping or sight seeing
Home in the arvo for a swim and a nap
Out for dinner and walk.

Amazing place, Im jealous, enjoy original.gif

#4 2bundles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

We are going in Jan.  Our kids are 8&10.  We are staying at Sentosa and plan to do:

Legoland
Universal Studios
Shopping
Attractions of Sentosa
Night light show near Marina Bay Sands
Gardens by the Bay
Hang out by the pool
Food.....

#5 Fabulous

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

We went 12 months ago with our kids aged 3, 5, 9, 11 and 15 and had an absolute ball.

Our itinerary was;

Day1- zoo- absolutely amazing. Our kids also loved the water playground and dry playground.
Day 2- science centre -we didn't find this very good. A lot of money spent on this but very little thought put into it, IMO.
Day 3- Botanical gardens- awesome, especially the orchid gardens. Shame about the severe thunderstorm, lol.
Day 4 Fort Canning Park- lovely.
Day 5- Universal Studios- we all loved this. There were also lots of rides for the littlies unlike the one in LA. We went during the week and the wait time for rides was 5mins max.
Day 6- We visited Sentosa island, swam at the beach and on the way back to our hotel we had a look at that area where the Marina Sands hotel is.

we also spent an evening looking at the temples and visiting little India, Chinatown etc.

We stayed at the intercontinental. I personally wouldn't stay on Sentosa Island because food is much more expensive there. It was so nice to hang out at the pool after a days sightseeing in the humidity.

#6 sampaul

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hands down the Night Safari tour of the zoo, best experience ever!!

Sentosa Island need a whole day there - great place lots to do

There is a big bird park too can't remember what it's called but another awesome experience

Wish I could go to Singapore again was one of the most beautiful places I've been to :-)

#7 Apageintime

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

the zoo (both day and night versions - they're separate, but right next door to each other)

universal

sentosa

marina bay sands (go see a show there if there's one on you'd like)

shop

wander around little india

take a tour of the changi war memorial (maybe a bit heavy for kids, but yours are old enough to be doing this stuff at school, so would probably get something out of it. its very moving)

spend a couple of days by the pool

you can pretty much fill up a week without even trying

#8 adl

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

Night zoo - must do....
Singapore zoo
Bird park
War memorial
Universal
Sentosa
Chinatown at night ...go for dinner
There is a city tour on one of those buses that goes into water...

Arabian quarter for dinner ...live jazz sitting on footpath eating kebabs, my DS loved it,watching people etc

One thing is most shops etc don't open till 10am..as they stay open later at night so with kids,maybe a swim,breakfast  to start the day a bit later as we found it annoying being up too early and ready then waiting

Fairmont has a shopping centre connected for some mummy time original.gif

Www.singapore.com

#9 mummyk8

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

We have just left Singapore after 3.5yrs of living there. My picks would be:

Zoo - 1 full day out, it's better than any zoo I have been to. Can take a short elephant ride (in a circle), watch the Elephant show, good water park (suited for under 10yr old but nice for the older ones to get a bit wet - it will be HOT!) Easiest way to get there is by taxi.

Night Safari - opens at 7pm. Can eat out there, see a show (mayeb 2?), take a tram ride around or walk around. A unique experience

?? River Safari - this is very new so we didn't make it there but by the time you go it will be fully up and running and the Pandas will be on display.

Universal Studios - on Sentosa Island at Resorts World. Lots of fun. If you or your kids are in to roller coasters the Battlestar Galactica ride is amazing.

Sentosa Island  - Luge, Mega Zip, Wave Zone etc. Catch a monorail from Vivo City (shopping centre) or a taxi.

Shopping on Orchard Road - be prepared to walk. Good if you're in to designer labels or big varierty but Singapore is NOT cheap. Aussie dollar is good in comparison to Sing $ so you may find it ok.

Light Show over Marina Bay - every night

Marina Bay Sands - go to top at Sky Park for an awesome view

Singapore FLyer - like London Eye. Great to do at dusk or dawn. On a clear day you can see to Malaysia

Open Top Bus tour / Duck tour - gives you a tour of Singapore. Can get on/off the bus. Duck tour takes you on the roads and in the river.

Little India / Chinatown - for some great food, interesting culture and cheap buys

Hire bikes at East Coast Park - a nice ride on a sunny day. You can ride for about 10kms on flat paths specially for bikes (or roller blade). Get a fresh juice from the Hawker Market.

Make sure you eat at a Hawker Centre for the experience (and it's cheap)- food stalls all in one place. Each stall will have a rating (health.cleanliness etc) Only do A or B. There's a good one of these at East Coast Park, near water ski park

I wouldn't stay on Sentosa as it is expensive and isolates you from the rest of Singapore. I'm not familiar with the Merchant Court as a place to stay but most hotels in Singapore are good. We've stayed at the Grand Copthorne and The Swissotel (would recommend both).

PM me if you have any questions. I'm more than happy to help out. Also, don't even bother packing anything long sleeved. No matter we said, all our visitors brought a jumper, "just in case" and it is a waste of space unless you are used to the humidity and temps.

Have fun!

#10 *LucyE*

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Also, don't even bother packing anything long sleeved.

I don't pack heavy stuff but I prefer my children in long sleeves for sun protection. Not such a big deal for everyday living, but for the trips to the zoo where your outdoors most of the day, it is helpful. I find the lightweight uv protection type clothes.

I also find indoor air con can sometimes be too cold and layers are helpful.

#11 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

All good tips. We go to Singapore annually at least. Pasir Ris park is lovely with a great playground, pony rides, canoes.

West Coast park has the most amazing kids playground which is only possible in a country without public liability, LOL! Great for an evening once it starts to cool a bit.

Chinatown in the evening as well. And go get amazing food in Little India - Komala Vilas is the best South Indian style place, and Kailash Parbat is the best North Indian. Sentosa is only good for a day apart from universal studios. Don't let the kids roll their eyes and say 'bird park?!' - it's actually quite awesome. Both the Zoo and bird park have awesome outdoor water play areas so take swimmers and extra clothes, they'll have a ball.

Apparently Lego land in Johor Bahru is really good - but hard as. Day trip from Singapore.

The botanic gardens also has a great kids garden (also with water play area) and lots of great displays of local plants in a kid friendly setting.

Note that the Singaporean day starts and ends later. Very little is open before 10 other than tourist attractions. Whereas everything is open until 10 pm or later.

We love Singapore!

#12 No girls here

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

I agree with most of the PPs.

The night safari is my top pick, and I'd also recommend high tea at Raffles, the bird park and Sentosa and having dinner at a Hawker centre.

#13 unicycle

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

take a jumper! yes , it is hot outside, but singapore has winter every day of the year: in the shopping centres, restaurants, cinemas mrt and some buses. At least take cardies or shawls.
the rhino feeding at the zoo is sensational.
the water theme park, wild, wild wet, has just reopened on the East Coast. The playground mentioned at pasir ris is currently mostly roped off. no sign in 4 months of any work being done on it.
Pulau Ubin for bike riding and seeing what Singapore may have been like.
the Barrage (pumping station) at Gardens by the Bay for the role of Water in Singapore.

#14 ~~Mwah~~

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Great tips. We have been twice and love it. The zoo was by far our favourite day. Looking at going again next year Tounge1.gif
For a family of four, 2 adults a 2 year old and 6 year old what room type would you need at the Swissotel Merchant Court? and how do you book to get the best rates?
Thanks!

#15 monet

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I live in Singapore and can't add much more to the list you already have!  Gardens by the Bay is new and worth going to, work it into a Marina Bay Sands visit as it is just across the road.  We generally give the Skypark a miss and take our visitors to Ku De Ta, a bar on top of MBS for a drink instead, as long as you finish  before 6pm there is no dress code or cover charge and the view is the same. The River Safari will be open at Easter and promises to be on par with the Zoo and Night Safari.  Legoland is a day trip across to Malaysia, there are coach trips available if you are keen for that.  By car it is less than 1 hour drive but you need to factor in the checkpoint and possible delays, I wouldn't go on the weekend.  We often take our visitors to the Lau Pa Sat hawker centre, it is right near Raffles Place MRT and from 7pm they close off the street and a whole lot of satay stalls set up along the road.

hope some of that helps and enjoy your trip!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.