Best time to buy secondhand uniform?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Paddy2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Our school has a second hand uniform shop, but say they don't have much stock. That is the only place you are 'allowed' to sell uniform.
Do people keep their summer uniforms until the end of the year and then sell them, or keep them until the start of next year just in case and then sell them if they don't fit?
Have you had success at a certain time getting second hand uniform, or should I just suck it up and buy new?

#2 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I've always bought secondhand, not sure if it would be possible for you but I went into the uniform shop at our school and let them know that I was hoping to buy a 2ndhand one for dd, we tried some new ones on to work out what size she needed then the lady kept an eye out for me and when one came in, she called me.  It was $15 from memory instead of $85.  I'd try now as it's the start of really warm weather, people may have be selling as they've just purchased new ones for the summer.

Edited by Mummyone1, 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#3 ~A2~

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

I run our school uniform shop and people drop s/h uniforms into me anytime (when kids have grown out of them) and I sell them as needed to others.

Usually our change of seasons (summer to winter, winter to summer), now when people are planning for next year and book day each year are the times I sell the most.

Lots of parents sell them privately or give them to people they know so I do not do a big trade.  I have recently sent a heap to our local charity shop.

I have only sold about $1500 worth of s/h stock (about 5% of all sales) so I do not have lots of buyers just a few regulars who always check them out.

Ali

#4 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I've never bought 2nd hand uniforms. We bought some new ones for my SS at the beginning of the year but we changed his school half way thorough the year and I gave the cleanest of the uniforms to the uniform shop to sell 2nd hand.

#5 Julie3Girls

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Our uniform shop tends to be really busy during the first week of school - kids have put on their uniforms on the first day of school and whoops! too small.  So I'm guessing that would be the best time to get the secondhand stuff as well.

But a lot of people simply don't bother with selling through the shop - they simply hand them down to people they know. So never a huge amount of stock.

I've always simply bought new - I have 3 girls, so I figure I'll get my money's worth as they will be going through 3 kids just with my girls.

#6 mumto3princesses

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

You can find them anytime. It really just depends on when they grow out of them or maybe someone is holding onto their uniform until they see if their next child or friends next child is a boy or girl and handing in the things they don't need then.

Usually people will either hold onto them until the very end of the year and buy the next size up then to start the following year or find they grow out of them or almost grow out of them at the start of the year and buy new then. Or if they grow out of them at any other time they will do it then.

Our school uniform shop just the uniforms donated to them and they sell them at just $3 each.

#7 Paddy2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

How much do I love EB! Thank you all for your replies, I won't give up hope yet.

#8 ~elle~

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

They are like op shops - just keep popping in - you never know what will be in.
ppl moving/ kids outgrowing stuff.

#9 luke's mummu

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I asked our uniform shop ladies the same question and was told to keep popping in weekly- as they always have new donated stock and it's just a matter of getting lucky with your size and sex.

#10 Paddy2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (~elle~ @ 28/11/2012, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are like op shops - just keep popping in - you never know what will be in.
ppl moving/ kids outgrowing stuff.

Thank you, that certainly makes sense. At the moment we live an hour and a half drive away (new school next year) but I will when we move closer. original.gif

#11 willinglearner

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Not sure what state you are in, but  try the http://www.sustainableschoolshop.com.au. I've had great success with my DDs uniform for next year. You can search for free, then if you find something I think its $20 to join and get the contact details.

#12 ****lisa****

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I always buy new. l love seeing my kids start school in their new uniforms, ive never thought about buying second hand. Mine get passed down to younger siblings so im saving a fortune anyway.
I've seen parents selling second hand uniforms in the school newsletter, I've overheard parents in the school yard buying second hand uniforms from each other and I've seen uniforms for sale on our local Facebook but swap and sell pages, maybe check these a out original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.