Spinoff what are you getting your dad for Christmas?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

As TT says, what are you getting your dad for Christmas?

#2 Carmen02

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

getting him a nice pen! I got it personalised on vistaprint and it looks great original.gif

#3 Bodacious Prime

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

A Bunnings voucher. Boring I know, but he loves it. I get him the same every year.

#4 Broxie

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

An underwater light show and fountain for the pool.

#5 hodgepodge

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

scotch

#6 Missmarymack

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

My brother and sister and I are all buying together for dad this year - a weber Q and the new Jamie oliver cookbook

#7 Bluenomi

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

James Bond monopoly. He'll love it and then have much fun having silly arguments with DH over the rules.

#8 Ellen D

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

He says he wants a hug.

I don't want to hug him.

Maybe a polo shirt?

#9 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

my stepdad is getting a decorative numberplate and watch

my FIL  is getting the kerry pakcer HOWZAT dvd and the darren percival cd original.gif

#10 lep_78

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

my dad every year gets a personalised calendar from us that has photos of all the family on it as well as birthdays. He loves it and asks for it every year.

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I have no idea, my sister is in charge of that one.  I have our SF though, we got hime a gnome and most probably a bunnings voucher.

#12 Jax12

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Oh god, my dad is the hardest person to buy for.  He doesn't drink, play golf, fish or any do any other cliche dad present activities, and while he is a carpenter he has 2 sheds full of tools and can get cheap materials through work so Bunnings vouchers are a little redundant for him...

I have made lots of gifts in the past.  This year I will be doing the same.  I am writing a book called "The Complete Guide to My Dad."  

In the past I have scanned old photos and put them together in a video or created puzzles for him , such as a crossword puzzle (you can find online crossword makers) and the clues were little in jokes or trivia about our family.  I've written poems and stories about our family.  One year I made a board game based on our family - the pieces were photos of each of us and I did up 'Chance' cards with things like, "Sister2 has gravy for dinner - move back two spaces to let her stench dissipate" and "Mum brings home a block of chocolate for after dinner, roll again"  

So yeah, basically my father is impossible to buy for so I have to push my creative boundaries!

If I do buy for him it's socks and hankies, dvds, personalised grandad mug, shirts and those types of gifts.

Edited to shorten post

Edited by Jax12, 13 December 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#13 Cappie

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

We are getting my FIL a Kiva gift voucher. He has specifically requested either nothing or charity donations and we think he will really enjoy choosing how to best use his voucher.

Other years we have gotten tools, BBQ, gift vouchers for deep sea fishing / restaurants etc

#14 redkris

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I went online to a spice shop called Gewurzhaus that do around 100 custom herb and spice blends and bought him 5 different mixes that will work in all the different things he cooks. I'll probably also get him something little from Charlesworth (big chain of nut, dried fruit and chocolate shops here in SA)

#15 dreamingofcats

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

A book, the man is book crazy. Its all he ever wants, although I do branch out and buy him an ipod for his birthday and at first he was skeptical but now he loves it.

The book is Ian Plimer - Heaven and Earth. All about global warming and the science behind why this particular author is trying to discredit it. I got DH the same one so they can sit around and argue about it together as DH doesnt believe in it and dad does.

#16 Orangedrops

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

a photobook of our kids boring but nice

#17 CG123

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Season 1 of Homeland on Bluray

#18 boatiebabe

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Polar fleece trackie daks with a fly front.

He borrowed my DHs while we were on holidays this year and loved them. But the ones I bought DH are no longer available at Katmandu so I am struggling  mad.gif to find the right ones.

#19 Z-girls rock

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

I got him this book called 'How the Dog Became the Dog" by mark Derr http://www.abbeys.com.au/book/how-the-dog-...781922070135.do

it is about Dog's evolution from wolves to dogs. He loves dogs and is interested in the subject after watching Steven Fry's tv series on dogs this year... maybe I will get him that too...

#20 lisacat

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

I went to the us in October and given my dad is bus crazy (used to drive them) I went to the New York transit museum and got him 2 books and a New York bus model.

Edited by lisacat, 30 November 2012 - 06:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.