Bmi and weight loss surgery

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Oriental lily

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I am sure it's been said in one of the threads but hoping for a quick answer.

In Australia what is the minimum Bmi that surgeons will accept before approving sleeve or band surgery?

Currently my Bmi is 34.5

This is after losing approx 15 kg since may.

#2 Red nut

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Congrats on the weight loss! If you've managed that though, do you think you still need surgical help?

#3 Mercurial

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

This is off a website from a Brisbane based surgeon.

BMI > 40 by itself or >35 if there is an associated obesity illness , such as diabetes or sleep apnoea

#4 Oriental lily

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yes.

I have been a yo yo dieter since my teens.

I am sick of the up and down up down ride my weight is currently on.

Since my eldest dd has been born (who is 9) I have lost and regained approx 40 kg twice!

The stats say if I lose the weight I will only have a 3 percent chance of keeping it of.

It's not losing the weight I have the problem with. It's keeping it of.

I have tried every weight loss imaginable and it still comes back.

So yeah surgery seems to be the last frontier and my last hope of sanity. And I am recently hearing many happy people who have done it with no regrets.

#5 Oriental lily

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hmmm I don't have any related Heath problems.
Bp fine.
Insulin levels fine.

Even my cholesterol and blood work is good.

I wonder if they take in to account my poor weight control history?

#6 kissy10

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

OP I would still go along to a info night or get a referral to discuss your specific situation. I was sleeved in Feb 2012 & have lost 44kg, it is the best thing I have done to look after myself.

Which state are you in? If in Melb, happy to make some surgeon suggestions.

#7 Mercurial

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

My BMI is currently at 36 with no health related problems (my bloods last week came back perfect for everything).  

I'm still going to go and meet with the surgeon and see what he says.

#8 Ruby Gloom

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Hi OP,

Different surgeons will have different BMI 'cut offs' so its best to have that initial consultation. I've not heard of there needing to be obesity related illnesses present for a surgeon to consider operating, but again, I think each surgeon has their different set of guidelines.

Good luck with your decision!

Hi OP,

Different surgeons will have different BMI 'cut offs' so its best to have that initial consultation. I've not heard of there needing to be obesity related illnesses present for a surgeon to consider operating, but again, I think each surgeon has their different set of guidelines.

Good luck with your decision!

#9 LulaBelle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I'm interested in finding out about this too. I have gained 35kg since having an operation to remove my gallbladder. My BMI says I'm 37 but I have no other health issues. I have tried a number of diets - paleo, atkins and body trim as well as weight watchers and optislim. Aside from gaining further weight on them, I had awful problems with my stomach and shoulder pain. Apparently I can't eat meat, dairy or high fat after my gallbladder removal which is probably why most of the diets didn't wok.

Does anyone know if gastric sleeving would help me?

#10 *Lib*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Mine was 38.3 when I was done.

Its now - 20.6

#11 LulaBelle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Lib, do you think it would work for me? My issue is that I dont digest my food properly due to having no gallbladder. So most stuff I eat stores as fat. If i eat dairy or red meat in particular I bloat and get the runs and or want to vomit. If my stomach was sleeved I know i still would t be able to eat red meat and dairy but what about drinking coke etc? Do you think it would make any difference to how i digest stuff?

#12 lillul

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I work for Bariatric surgeons in Melbourne and our cut off is 35+ or 30-35 with comorbidities.  It really comes down to the discretion of the surgeon.  If you've had long term weight problems I'm sure there would be a surgeon willing to consider you for surgery.  Good luck with it all!

#13 *Lib*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (indibelle @ 02/01/2013, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently I can't eat meat, dairy or high fat after my gallbladder removal which is probably why most of the diets didn't wok.

Does anyone know if gastric sleeving would help me?

Is that because your body doesn't like it or someone told you not to? I am not restricted as to what I can eat and I have had a gallbladder removal and a sleeve.

#14 LulaBelle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 02/01/2013, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that because your body doesn't like it or someone told you not to? I am not restricted as to what I can eat and I have had a gallbladder removal and a sleeve.

It's because I get intense stomach and shoulder pain if I eat it and also feel sick and get the runs unfortunately.

#15 Cherish

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Go and see a surgeon OP original.gif
I had a lap band in last November. Accidentally fell pregnant in March but Id lost about 19 kilos before I fell pregnant.
I have 4.3 mls in my band and and 1 week overdue and have gained 6.8kilos!
For me the band has been worthwhile.
Goodluck

#16 PurpleWitch

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

The band works well until it doesnt original.gif

#17 *Lib*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Until it errodes.......

#18 LulaBelle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Anyone have any info on sleeving post gallbladder removal weight gain? sorry to keep butting in I am not finding much stuff online.

#19 *Lib*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (indibelle @ 02/01/2013, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone have any info on sleeving post gallbladder removal weight gain? sorry to keep butting in I am not finding much stuff online.

I've had my gallbladder out and had a sleeve about 10 years + afterwards. My recovery is the same. But I do get the runs from fatty food and excess dairy.

#20 *Mrs_Cullen*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

My BMI was 39 the day I was sleeved. I had my gallbladder out 8 years prior to my sleeve.

Best decision I ever made. Im 11 months in and have lost 53 kgs, sitting at a healthy 68kgs and still dropping.

Like you OP, I lost 15kgs before the surgery but the chances of it staying off were next to none. Yes, WLS is extreme, but so is living as a morbidly obese person.
I think you should talk to a surgeon and see whatthey recommend. I can PM you mine if you are in Brisbane. I was and still am VERY happy with his work.

#21 *Lib*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (*Mrs_Cullen* @ 02/01/2013, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you should talk to a surgeon and see whatthey recommend. I can PM you mine if you are in Brisbane. I was and still am VERY happy with his work.

Justin? or Mark D?

#22 PurpleWitch

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Until it errodes.......

Or slips....

#23 Ruby Gloom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (indibelle @ 02/01/2013, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something to consider too is that it's not uncommon to need your gallbladder out AFTER you've been sleeved because rapid weight loss can cause gallstones (going through the investigations myself at the moment). I don't understand how removal of your gallbladder would either make you gain weight or slow your weight loss. You adapt and change your eating habits as need be, just as you do once you've been sleeved and still have a gallbladder. I don't mean that there are things you CAN'T eat once you're sleeved but you need to still eat healthily to maximise your weight loss.

#24 *Lib*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Ruby Gloom @ 03/01/2013, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
once you're sleeved but you need to still eat healthily to maximise your weight loss.

Some people do. I have to eat high fat high calorie food because no matter what I seem to eat I am able to lose weight without trying. I am on the skinner end of what I should be. I am terrified to gain weight, but if I don't eat what I consider sh*t food, I can't keep my weight steady. I would never ever in a thousand years have thought I'd ever have this issue.

#25 Ruby Gloom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

True, Lib. You're right. I remember reading your blog (?) or seeing your pictures about how you needed to try and stop losing but I mean that initially people can't expect that they can still eat crap in smaller amounts and have the fantastic losses that you CAN potentially have with a sleeve. And yes, I needed to learn this myself so I'm not speaking out of my butt Tounge1.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.