Which ipad?

9 replies to this topic

#1 MamaMoi

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hi

I am slowly driving myself loopy trying to decide which ipads to buy for the kids.

I have decided on the full size one, not the mini. BUT there are 2 kinds available. There is the ipad2 or the new one with the retina display.
The price difference is about $100 between the two models. We're looking at buying two.

My question is, do I pay the extra $ and get the newest one with the retina display screen? They tell me the main differences are the camera and the video is better. Not sure my kids will really notice that or need the super dooper camera.

Help!

ALSO - I have an apple ID. Do I need to set up new ones or can the one Apple ID be used to download apps etc for these two new ipads? These are for the kids to use and due to their age difference, the apps on each ipad will be quite different.

#2 MamaMoi

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Yes, that's what I am tossing up - sorry, I have no idea about the model numbers!

It's the ipad 3 OR the ipad 4 I think? The one that just came out, or the one just before it.

I did think about getting the new 4 for my older child but then they would have different rechargers. Do you think that would be a pain??? I am starting to think maybe I get the new ipad 4 for my 7 yr old, and the ipad 3 for the 2 yr old.
The only problem with that is they would each have a different charger as the plugs have changed on the new ipad. I can see that being a pain but not sure it is annoying enough to justify buying them both the new one!

Edited by MamaMoi, 28 November 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#3 jewel2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I use my account and so I only have to buy the app once and can put it on two ipads.
Works fine for me.

Also do the same with the kindle app so I buy one kids books but all the kids can have it.

J

#4 MamaMoi

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Jewel2.

Seems to make sense to do it the way you do.
Can you tell me if I download something for myself on my ipad, for example a book, would my 7 yr old be able to access it on his ipad or would he need my password to get to it?

#5 Feraldadathome

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (MamaMoi @ 28/11/2012, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem with that is they would each have a different charger as the plugs have changed on the new ipad. I can see that being a pain but not sure it is annoying enough to justify buying them both the new one!

The chargers are tghe same, it's only the cable that is different. We (with a blackberry in the house as well) just have 3 different cables sitting next to the apple charger. Or 5 next to the computer for the whole range of e-devices we need to connect.

DP talked me out of buying the ipad4 last Friday, even though they were $50 off. We currently have a 2. The 3 has a better screen, the 4 the same screen with a faster chip.

#6 Cheryl_v

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (MamaMoi @ 28/11/2012, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Jewel2.

Seems to make sense to do it the way you do.
Can you tell me if I download something for myself on my ipad, for example a book, would my 7 yr old be able to access it on his ipad or would he need my password to get to it?

You can set them up in a couple of ways.  The way I have it is to have all apps/music automatically download onto my iPad so I can see what the kids are up to now that the App store no longer requires a password for free purchases.  On the kids' iPods I have automatic downloads set to Off so they don't get all the stuff I download for myself.  Books in the iBook app won't require a password to be downloaded, same for the Kindle app.

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Our kids iPads are locked down. They can not delete or add applications.

Password is required every time.

We operate off the one apple account DH the kids and I. We just download what is appropriate to each device.

For me I would go the cheaper ipad 2.

#8 cward

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

The 3 and 4 are near identical, apparently, I'd just get the ipad 3. The big difference was between the 2 and 3.

The 3 only came out 4-6 months ago so hardly old or out of date tech.
  the 3 is now deleted.  You can only get the 2 or the new one (4).  They replaced the 3 with the 4 when the mini came out.  I think you can still get the 3 in the refurbished section of the Apple store, but I'm not sure if that is US only.

Is there a reason you are discounting the mini.  we have gotten a mini for my DD for christmas and I just took it out of the box to check it last night and it is great, so light.  I have the ipad 2 and I love it but it is quite heavy to lug around.  I can't imagine having to put 2 in my bag if we were out whereas the mini seems nice and light.

The 4 and the mini (and also the new ipod touch) have different connection points, so the bit that goes into the power point is the same, still a USB attachement into that but the other end is smaller.  This also means these new ones won't sit in any docking stations/speakers etc that you already have.

#9 Feraldadathome

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (cward @ 29/11/2012, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the 3 is now deleted.  You can only get the 2 or the new one (4).

Unless you buy refurbished from the apple store, which is indistinguishable from brand new, with the same warranty as new. For example, a 3rd gen 64g wifi+3G is $749 rather than $899 for the 4th gen.

#10 MamaMoi

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks everyone for all this info!

Cward - the main reason I didn't want the Mini is that it's too easy to just chuck it in my bag and take it with us!
I not keen on my kids having their heads buried in their ipad all the time. I think having a device so portable as the mini or an ipod touch or even me having an iphone would mean in those moments when my 2 yr old is going bananas and I am trying to talk to someone....I would inevitably just give them the thing to keep him quiet.
I do have a feeling this might be like back when my first child was born I swore no child of mine would ever eat a Happy Meal........ha! I guess time will tell!

I ended up going for the new ipad after a long discussion with my BIL who just had his stolen iPad2 replaced with the 4 and he thinks it's brilliant. He also pointed out the new lightening connector is the way Apple seems to be moving with all their new devices so down the track I might regret buying the older version.

IsolaBella - How do I lock down the iPads?! I think I will need to do that. I also want to ask your opinion on the new MaxiRider! Will post in the carseat section.

Edited by MamaMoi, 29 November 2012 - 03:37 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.