Bolting furniture to walls

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 WYSIWYG

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

How many people actually do this?

I've only heard of it as a suggestion a few times when DD1 was little, but we never really have had any furniture that would topple over if over balanced, like a book case.

Well, the other day my two were in the playroom, playing nicely. I told them I was going to the toilet and will be back. I suddenly hear a loud bang and DD2 screaming. I run to find DD1s tallboy tipped over with DD2 under it. I struggled to get it off her, fearing what I would find. DD2 was absolutely fine, thankfully, just a small bruise. No broken bones, no concussions, no split skin. I can't believe how quickly it happened!

Usually the girls have no reason to go into their bedrooms, their toys are all in their playroom, so unless its to sleep or get dressed, that's it.

I feel horrible that it happened, but so, so, so thankful that DD2 was fine. It could have been so much worse.

#2 CalEliKat

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

We have done it with all of our bookcases and toy shelves.  We used L shaped brackets and bolted them to the furniture and the wall.  Small expense for minimising the risk so dramatically

#3 fancie

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

We didn't but DD was never a climber.

We are now installing very tall cabinets that need to be bolted as the weight of the glass doors will pull the cabinet forward without even touching them.

#4 tick

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Our bookcases are all bolted to the walls.  DD1 was/is a climber, we couldn't risk it.  Other furniture is bolted to the walls also if it looks to be a toppling hazard, tall boys like you describe are a definite problem due to them falling when all the drawers are pulled out at once.

Glad your child is ok OP, that must have been very scary!

#5 papilio

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

We have done this with taller bookshelves and cupboards.  Doesn't stop them climbing up there though!

#6 ~Nodnol~

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

All of our bookcases and tallboys are bolted to the wall.

#7 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Our LCD is tethered with a strap thingy, our oven is bolted in (they are known for tipping with kids in/under them. We don't really have a lot else to worry about, we have one tall bookshelf which I turned and laid on it's side so that gets climbed on but can't fall.
Glad your dd is okay.

#8 melaine

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I think tall boys are the biggest risk, and I know a number of people that have had theirs tip. Usually they tip when kids pull the bottom drawers out and climb/ stand in them.

You've reminded me to nag DH to fix our bookcase to the wall though.

Grad no-one was hurt.

#9 WYSIWYG

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. Tallboy is going to be bolted! So glad we will be getting rid of it when we move.

#10 Moffetta

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yep, a lot of our furniture is bolted to the wall, pretty much anything taller then 120 cm unless we are absolutely sure it won't tip. We usually try to pull it over ourselves to see if it will tip or how much it will take first. Might be excessive but we would rather be safe than sorry.

#11 Yomumma

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

How scary for you all! Good wake up call though. I am going to bolt mine now! Has always been at the back of my mind to do it..

#12 cinnabubble

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

All of ours are bolted.

#13 runnybabbit

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

DH and I have been wanting to bolt our bookcases, but we rent. sad.gif

#14 SeaPrincess

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

We do, even though we rent.  DH will patch the walls when we leave.

#15 Jekaho

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Glad your daughter is ok. What a fright for everyone!

We have one tall bookshelf and a tall CD cabinet - both have straps screwed into the wall. We don't have any other tall ones to bolt. We're also renting (albeit very easy going landlords who are fine with us adding holes for picture frames etc) so wouldn't want to have to bolt TOO many things. Thankfully our son isn't really a climber. We did find him once having climbed from bed to chest of drawers to wardrobe in his room. So moved the furniture around to avoid the step effect!

#16 Emby

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

We don't (combination renting and nobody in the house being handy enough). However, I have chocked all the bookshelves in front so that they lean back slightly. We did have a CD rack fall down once (while we were out - must have been the cat). Surprisingly no damage to rack, contents, or the stuff it fell on. Gigantic mess to clean up though.

#17 Lissome

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Lol I thought everyone bolted things to the walls! I don't even have kids and all my bookshelves etc are fixed! I've always been paranoid about things falling on my pets.

I'm now realising that I'm a bit of a health and safety freak! God help me when I have children.....

#18 ubermum

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

All ours are bolted. We rent but will have the walls repaired before we move out. The expense is worth the kids safety.

#19 BlondieUK

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

We bolt everything to the wall that could topple. Better safe than sorry.

#20 sueb31

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Friends of ours lost their 2 year old boy when a set of drawers fell on him. Absolutely tragic. Anything that can fall is bolted around here.

Sue

#21 kittennic

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Yes OP, we do this with all the furniture except in my bedroom (the one in our room is really difficult to attach to the wall, and they kids aren't supposed to play in there). Like you, we hadn't done it yet, and when DS1 was about 18 months old he opened a drawer in a tall-boy unit and leaned on it, and the whole thing toppled. Luckily he ducked down and he was sitting next to the end of his bed, so it fell onto the bed and missed him. Pretty scary. The following day we attached all the furniture. I'm glad your DD is ok too.

Edited by kittennic, 28 November 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#22 oneplusabun

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Can I ask how you bolt your furniture to the wall? DH insists that bolting into plaster would not be enough to stop heavy furniture from tipping, however it is not always possible to locate furniture near wall studs. DD is just getting mobile so I am trying to find a solution.

Thanks!

#23 kittennic

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Our walls are brick, so they should hold.
I agree, I'm not sure that plaster would, though. Maybe try to make sure the heaviest or those most likely to tip are fastened to stronger walls? Are your outside walls stronger than the internal ones?

Edited by kittennic, 30 November 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#24 PurpleNess

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yep just did the book shelves in DS's room on the weekend, now he's crawling & pulling himself up on everything.

Nothing else he can really get to in the house that's not secure & we've gated off our front room with all the large, heavy bookshelves, that's a no go room.

TV's are another thing thing to do, many children die when TV's fall on them..

#25 Therese

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

We bolted all of ours too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.