Full moon = bad sleep?

18 replies to this topic

#1 bjk76

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

DS (19mo) went to sleep at midnight tonight (Wednesday)! He's been going to sleep late ever since Sunday night (11pm, Mon: 11pm, Tues: 9.30pm) and has had trouble with his naps and I've just noticed the VERY bright full moon outside. Yes, I know that scientists haven't proven any link between the moon and sleep/behaviour, but in the absence of any other obvious reasons for DS's sleep issues, I've decided to blame it on the moon! tongue.gif

So, has anyone else's child had problems sleeping this week in the lead up to the full moon?

#2 mibi

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

YES! My 2 DS's (7&5) share a room and 99% of the time are great at going to bed. But this week they have been TERRIBLE! Talking, playing up, mucking around, driving me nuts.

I haven't seen the moon, but I'm going to blame it too.

#3 BadgerBasher

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Not Bean (because she's crappy anyway) but me! Can't sleep a wink, feel quite zombie-riffic.

I'm also much more tense and hormonal around the full moon. Wish you could get a pill to skip the moon *grumpy*

#4 KeepTheFaith

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:56 AM

Bloody insomnia. Bloody moon.

Gah- DS has only woken once this night, at 1:30. It's nearly 4 and I still can't sleep. Whhhhhyyyyy???!!! I have a 2 year old and 11 week old, I don't need insomnia, I need sleeeeepp!!

#5 ani1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

Don't know if its the full moon or not but I can't sleep sad.gif arrgghh so tired.

#6 KeepTheFaith

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

Hijacking the thread cos I'm soooo bored... Bloody insomnia!

#7 FEdeRAL

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

I was just coming in here to vent about it!!! 2y/o DS, who co-sleeps with us, woke up at 1-bloody-AM and has only just fallen asleep. So for 4 hours, DH and I were floating in and out of sleep trying to get him to lie still and close his eyes. 4 friggin' long hours.

At least he has only woken up 7m/o DD once. Or maybe it was me when I yelled "Stop kicking me and close your eyes!". Pretty sure at some point I mentioned that I was going to kill him too.

And now the sun is up, DH is happily snoring away and I am wide awake ... cry1.gif and DD is starting to stir in her cot...

What a great start to the day.

#8 KeepTheFaith

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

Oh, I hear you... DS is grunting away and will wake up soon, DH is snoring, and the cats are demanding breakfast.

Another night of 2 hours sleep... My eye bags have carry on luggage, lol!

#9 Futhermore

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

Yes - Even the almost full moon effects my sleep.

#10 imamumto3

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

my 2yo has been dreadful this week so I will blame the moon too

#11 JJ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

I haven't noticed it affecting my kids' sleep, but it definitely does affect me. Every so often the full moon drives me nuts - fortunately it's not every month. My GP is adamant that the full moon affects people (she says she sees a lot more people with mental health issues and just generally people feeling unwell but not knowing why around that time) and that isn't just a myth, so I'm going with that. wink.gif

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Don't have kids, but my grandfather is currently in a dementia unit in the nursing home & I know the staff there have often commented that on the night of a full moon, the residents are more restless.

I've had a week of interupted sleep as well, so blaming the moon sounds good to me!

#13 boatiebabe

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Not the kids - they are great sleepers now, but DH told me this morning he had the worst night sleep ever. Might explain it.

Not that we have seen the sun or moon or anything since Sunday - it has been very cloudy/misty here the last couple of days.

#14 clm1982

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yes, OMG my DD on EVERY full moon without fail wakes up screaming and takes about 30mins to an hour to get her to snap out of it. It happens every single full moon, i just dont get it  huh.gif

#15 qak

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I've had a few really bad nights, and the kids have been impossible to get to be this week too ... I will have to remember this for next month to see!

#16 Feral Cancerian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Not just sleeping, have you noticed all the crime on the news? Full moon + heat = snappy people.

#17 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Are you able to pull the curtains or blinds and could it be the brightness of the moon or the heat at the moment? unsure.gif

#18 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Im going to blame the full moon on DD tantrums this week.
I swear she gone werewolf like ALL DAY for the last 4 days

#19 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

when i was staying at a mother baby unit last year, after one particular night the night staff were complaining what a bad night they had with all the babies waking constatntly. then they said "full moon". I thought they were joking but they said no, they always are super busy settling all the babies on full moon nights!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.