My daughter is so angry
Paint all over kid's clothing.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

My grandson was doing some sort of painting at school yesterday - with spray cans  mad.gif The teaching staff didn't even bother getting the kids to wear a smock/old shirt or something over their clothes and he has come home with his clothes covered in this paint. I have suggested mineral turps to get it out, but any other suggestions would be much appreciated. The school could have let the parents know that this was on the agenda for the day and then he could have gone in old clothes, not good ones.  rant.gif

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

I am not sure of what normally happens in that daycare, but I send my daughter knowing she will come home with paint/dirt/waste products/food/face paint etc potentially getting on her clothing.

That being said, I would suggest just soaking in nappy san, childcare usually uses water soluble paints (ours does anyway).

#3 Wrenny

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

It has recently been realised that turps is very toxic stuff. I'd prefer to replace the clothes than use turps!!

#4 RedBob

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I always sent DD to daycare in clothes that didn't matter, because I could be assured that if she didn't get paint on them, she'd drop her food (always a tomatoey sauce too FTW) or go rolling around in the dirt. It got to the point that if the clothing still fitted, and the stains not too extreme, she'd still wear it to daycare.

I'd recommend a good soak in Napisan and if they still fit, well he can still wear them.

#5 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

New old clothes for next time.

I'd be annoyed too OP, but not use turps.

#6 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

was this school?? or daycare???

#7 causeway

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I noticed in Woolies last night that they have a stain remover pack which contains 3 products which you use depending on the type of stain.

If turps does get the paint out, I think the clothes will be pretty much ruined anyway.

FWIW - DD goes to daycare in Kmart, Target and Big W clothes, she comes home filthy, smiling and tired from a day at daycare... she loves it!

MIL recently came to stay and commented to DH about how grubby DD's clothes were and how could I send DD out in such clothes...(she wears clean clothes everyday, these are stained or have grubby knees from crawling in the sandpit)... DH told her about daycare and how dirty she gets and that she had nicer clothes that we don't wear to daycare. MIL still wasn't impressed.... argh! If that's the worst thing I can submit my child to then, I'm not doing too badly.

#8 CupOfCoffee

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 29/11/2012, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The OP said 'school' not daycare or preschool. I assume she's on about uniforms being wrecked, not everyday clothes.

I'd be pretty annoyed about the ruined clothes too.

Oops... I read daycare in my head... With uniform I would definitely not use turps, I would still soak in nappy san (or use a spray removal).

#9 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

He goes to Lyons school in the ACT and is in grade 1 or 2 (I really should know), so they are good clothes and Shannon Lush recommends methylated spirit and turps to scrub with.

#10 Chelara

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have successfully used turps to get oil paint out of my own clothes before (brushed against newly painted door jamb). You need to use turps though not water at all as that spreads the paint in further. Good luck!

#11 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

school uniform i would be super annoyed! they arent cheap!! silly thing for a school to do really!

#12 Hayleymumof3

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

He goes to Lyons school in the ACT

ohmy.gif when did that school re open?

Sunlight SOAP best stuff ever, wash it with the soap then just pop it into the machine and wash normally.

#13 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

I think it is called Lyons Early Learning Centre and apparently most of the kids had paint on their clothes yesterday. Thanks for the replies everyone.

#14 Bluenomi

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Well it's a school uniform so it's going to get messy. He's only going to wear it to school again, it's not like it's good clothes he wears on formal occasions or anything.

#15 Gudrun

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Doesn't it just come out in the wash?   It's not like oil based house paint.

#16 casime

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Was it a uniform or just street clothes?

#17 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Turps is only for oil based paint, which I don't think is usually what is used in spray cans. It's usually more for artist or industrial level work. Definitely do not use turps on water based paint. Just scrub with normal soap under cold water to get as much of the stain out as possible, then wash as normal (this is what is recommended by DD's school in case of paint on uniforms).

#18 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Try eucalyptus oil so long as no-one using it is pregnant.  My 17 yr old is into art and always gets paint all over her school clothes, euc oil left to treat it works everytime and as strange as it sounds, Earths Choice Floor Cleaner - which is mostly eucalyptus based works brilliantly, it's only a few dollars and I squirt some on the paint leave it for a while then wash, no scrubbing and it comes right out.

#19 Tigerdog

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I always sent DD to daycare in clothes that didn't matter,

I did this too until I realised that when the kids are home with me on the weekends they spend all their time outside therefore the good clothes I put on them then end up in a worse state than if I let them wear them to daycare!  My Mum keeps buying them really nice stuff I'm loathe to have destroyed so I've just told her to put a hold on the good stuff for now, they really don't need that many clothes at all.

Edited by Tigerdog, 29 November 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#20 Heather11

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'm sure schools are only allowed to use water based paints.  I know some of these can still be tough to budge of clothes.  I would treat with stain remover, soak, scrub with sard soap then wash.  As long it has mostly faded or washed off I wouldn't have an issue.

DS has been going to school with red texta marks on his school shirt for two years.  They are not hugely noticeable.

#21 livvie7586

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (Winterdanceparty @ 29/11/2012, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it is called Lyons Early Learning Centre and apparently most of the kids had paint on their clothes yesterday. Thanks for the replies everyone.

are shirts still $20?  and yesterday wouldn't have been cold enough for a jumper.

I'd be leaving it for the year (there's 3 weeks left in the ACT school year) and just buy new next year (for all you know he might outgrow the uniform by then), and if he's in yr 2 then that's the end of the road at lyons.

If he's in a younger year then we'll probably run into your daughter next year (we may have even run into her last year), DD is off to Lyons for preschool next year (and DS went there last year)

#22 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

It wasn't a school uniform. It was a good polo shirt and if she had known this was going to happen, she would have sent him in old clothes. The school really should have put them into dad's old shirt or something over their clothes. He wasn't the only one covered in spray paint. I might have to look at a can of spray paint and see if it water based or oil based.

#23 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

bbighug.gif They are both off to Gordon next year.

#24 Glr-r

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

School is for learning, painting, playing, exploring, why would you send them in good clothes? Even in uniform i expect that they will get paint etc on it, it's a part of school.

#25 casime

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

It wasn't a school uniform. It was a good polo shirt and if she had known this was going to happen, she would have sent him in old clothes.
\

When it comes to daycare, I always assume that DS will get food/sand/water/paint/playdoh/etc all over his clothes.  I wouldn't send him in something that was 'good'.   And I would send him in something with a paint stain on it, because it's probably just going to get a few more.

I actually like picking DS up and finding him filthy.   It's usually teamed with a great big smile from having such a fun day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.