Interested in Cardmaking and Scrapbooking
Don't really know where to start..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TwoBubbas

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

For a while now I've been getting interested in cardmaking and scrapbooking (doing alot of browsing around my local Spotlight!).  I've made a few cards (very basic) with my little girl and it is something we like doing together and that I also like doing on my own.  I love giving handmade things to people and think they have so much more meaning.

I'm a bit stuck with a few things.  I would love some tips from experienced cardmakers and scrapbookers on how they got started..
- where is the best place (magazines, websites etc.) to learn techniques and the products available etc?  
- how did you learn how to do it?  Self taught?
- what basic tool and equipment are pretty much essentials when starting out?
- where is the best place to buy papers and other materials.  I only really know of Spotlight and have seen lots of websites but what sites are really good?

I can imagine this becoming quite an expensive addiction, but do think the things that you can produce are so lovely!  I really look forward to getting some tips from you all.

Many thanks..

#2 Tracey2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have been scrapbooking for about 6 years. It can be quite expensive but the outcome is truly beautiful and something that you can hand down to your children.

The most essential things you will need is a cutter (this is where you slide a blade down a track to get a straight cut) and your adhesive. I use double sided tape as there is no drying time needed.

Then it is all about paper and emblishements (pretty things that you use to sick on a page).

Spotlight of cause has a big range, there is also Lincraft, Kmart and Big W. Do a google search for your local scrapbooking store.

There are magazines that you can buy covering all types of cardmaking and scrapbooking.

There are 100's & 100's of great scrapbooking sites on the internet. Also youtube for video tutorials.

Remember you can never make a mistake with scrapbooking!  If something doesn't look right or something just stick a flower or some other emblishment over it!!!

#3 More than a Mother

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I've bought cardmaking magazines when they have 3 in a pack for the same price and use them for inspiration - I keep coming back to them for ideas because they're pretty current, so they've been worth it. I've got books from the library for techniques, although I don't do anything fancy anyway. The books tend to be dated for designs, but the techniques are universal. And the internet is great for ideas.

I tend to go Spotlight, KMart and cheapie shops for bits and pieces. It's easy to buy on a budget but still look like you've spent a lot if you choose well. I don't do the proper scrapbooking shops as I can't justify the cost. I try to buy thinking of how many different uses I can have for a product, rather than for a single project.

I buy hole punches when they're on special at spotlight, but make sure I chose very versatile ones. I've bought a few stamps recently, but again, make sure I can get a lot of use out of them.

I print sentiments onto nice paper instead of using rub ons. You can download some great fonts for free.

And I often re purpose cards we've received, cutting elements and saving them for future projects.

Essentials - cardstock, papers, a paper cutter, or cutting mat, metal rule and craft knife. Double sided tape.
In my boxes I've also got different colours and shaped brads, beads, glittery threads, foam shapes, 3D embellishments, stars, rub ons, stamps, inks, glitter, ribbons, tape, 3D tape, glue spots, edgers, scissors that cut different shapes, stickers.........I'm sure there's heaps more, but I can't think right now.

I'm self taught, but I've always been creative, so it's a natural progression.  

Have fun and just play around. Take photo's of every card, and you'll soon see how you're developing.

#4 eeyorebaby

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Oh we could probably all talk for hours!  What state are you in so we can direct you.  I may even be able to let you know someone who is offering some intro classes depending on where you live.

I will pm you some websites to look at re techniques and ideas later on....be prepared to spend lots of time looking!

It's such a great hobby.  I still regularly see mums from mums group who craft with me and mum is also involved so we have all continued and developed our friendship over our shared interest.

#5 sallan

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hy twobubbas,
come on over and join the cardswapping group. we have finished for 2012 but new monthly challenges will begin again jan 1st 2013.
Sal-card swap coordinator

#6 TwoBubbas

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thank you so much for your replies to my post.  It's been ages, and I had to put everything on the back burner due to some pretty major financial stress.  Things are on the way up now, so I'm venturing back to cardmaking again.  Can't wait!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.