Elf on the shelf!
anyone else doing this?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

My aunty sent me a 'elf on the shelf' from the US today! had never heard of it before but its such a cool idea!

Its a little elf you name (ours is edwin) you bring him out around xmas pop him on a shelf and tell the kids he watches them to see if they are being good or not & each night he goes back and tells santa. Each morning hes in a different spot and the kids go looking for him! he comes with a story book! boys are going to LOVE this when they get here today!! such a nice little tradition for us to have in our own little family!

#2 Broxie

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Can't wait to start when DS is old enough!

#3 Bobsygirls

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

I saw those at dymocks last week, I think they are creepy and it's kind of mean telling your kids hey are being constantly watched and might not get presents if it catches them doing something naughty.

#4 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

I guess im mean then!  dev (6).gif

#5 Broxie

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Bobsygirls @ 29/11/2012, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw those at dymocks last week, I think they are creepy and it's kind of mean telling your kids hey are being constantly watched and might not get presents if it catches them doing something naughty.

rolleyes.gif

#6 CupOfCoffee

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (Bobsygirls @ 29/11/2012, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I thought that would stop my daughter being naughty, I would invest in 10 of them and line them up along the end of her bed... just staring at her at bed time... staring... (and you would have to tape some light whispers and chuckles to play behind them).

(I actually find them cute and creepy at the same time (we don't have one).

#7 Feral_Pooks

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I've never heard of that tradition. It seems creepy but a lot of traditions are!

#8 Sentient Puddle

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I vote creepy and mean too!

#9 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

LOL i dont recall asking who finds them mean and creepy!

#10 LittleListen

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'll withhold my opinion on creepiness :winks:

OP, check out Elf on A Shelf ideas on flickr and pinterest. Some really cute and creative ideas original.gif

#11 jossy

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

There was a thread ages ago about it and there were some fabulous ideas for things the elf could get up to.  I got the slightly less creepy Pop In Kins.

Here's a link to the other thread: http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...owtopic=1014726

#12 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (eyesabove @ 29/11/2012, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll withhold my opinion on creepiness :winks:

OP, check out Elf on A Shelf ideas on flickr and pinterest. Some really cute and creative ideas original.gif

Awesome! will do! original.gif

#13 Hattie

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

A friend had one delivered for my DS, who's 4. He loves it, wakes up so excited each morning to find out where the elf has moved to overnight, and he has taken to giving it questions and messages to pass on to Santa.

I'm not sure how being accountable for your behaviour is 'mean' and having a magical elf is sny more creepy than Santa himself, but whatever. My kid loves it and that's all Icare about.

Julie

#14 Bobsygirls

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I kind of like the idea of posing it in a compromising position with a reindeer or something.

#15 Ianthe

Not a fan of Elf on the Shelf but I have a lot of friends in the US who like to post their elf's daily adventures on facebook. It makes me long for the daily November thanksgiving posts.

#16 whale-woman

LOL

I guess I shouldn't admit to telling DD those CCTV-cameras everywhere are there so Santa can watch what kids do whilst at the shops to decide if they've been naughty or nice.  We have had an outbreak of good behavior that even childcare have noted since that story has been spread around.

Edited by whale-woman, 29 November 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#17 ~TSC~

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Ours arrived today, but we won't be doing the watching for naughtiness stuff, just a bit of fun to find the elf and the mischief he's been up to overnight!

#18 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yep, we had one last year.  Pinterest has great ideas for elf on a shelf, seen one yesterday with one sitting on top of the loo, thought it might be helpful with TT.

#19 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (whale-woman @ 29/11/2012, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL

I guess I shouldn't admit to telling DD those CCTV-cameras everywhere are there so Santa can watch what kids do whilst at the shops to decide if they've been good enough to get presents. We have had an outbreak of good behavior that even childcare have noted since that story has been spread around.

HAHAHA thats the kind of things my mother use to tell me!! i turned out alright. LOL

i use toget excited about the elves around christmas time and try and find them! the boys are always asking about the elves and santa so im pretty sure this is something they are going to love it! especially waking up to try and find him.

might put him in a really difficult spot to keep them busy for a good half hour LOL

#20 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

The way we do it isn't creepy or mean! We don't have one of the creepy looking elf on the shelf elves but instead a friendly looking one called Twinkle.

He arrives on 1st December, if he has finished all of his jobs at the North Pole and does various 'naughtiness' around the house each night, or leaves the girls a Christmas themed gift/activity (like a marshmallow santa or a colouring book or an invitation to go and see one of Santa's helpers at the shops), he 'writes' in a notebook each day about what they've been up to - like if Big Girl got an award at school or if Little Girl had been helping well at home and reminds them if there has been any less than desirable behaviour, worded along the lines of 'It made me sad when Little Girl was scratching Big Girl today, I really love to see it when you play nicely like when you played Pet Shops this morning'

The sort of tricks he gets up to include hanging undies on the Christmas tree, making 'snow' angels with flour, dolly tea parties, stealing a beer from the fridge, scattering dvd's over the floor for a movie night. Each morning they rush downstairs to find him in the midst of the naughtiness. They absolutely love it. We don't do the him going back to Santa each day, he sometimes says that he might have to if they have had a non stop day of pesting but he's never gone yet!

They love it so much Big Girl wrote to Santa last month to ask if Twinkle can come and visit, she had the reply back this week saying that he will be coming but he has been up to naughtiness at the North Pole including putting glue on the toilet seat and pink dye in Santa's beard wash!

I think it depends on how you play it, we certainly don't do it mean or make it about the girls' behaviour but more about fun and about what tricks the elf can get up to.

I've got some good plans for this year - he will have a zip wire across the playroom, a hot air balloon form the upstairs landing and a hot date with Barbie!

#21 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

A friend of mine took his three kids to buy presents for the wishing tree a few years ago. Te eldest, 6 at the time, asked why they were doing that. My friend said they were Christmas presents for kids who didn't have as much money as they did so they wouldn't miss out on presents. His son thought about it and asked "are poor people bad daddy, because if they were good, Santa would bring them presents".

My friend was mortified. He took his kids home and he and his wife told all three kids (the youngest three at the time) that Santa was only pretend and actually parents bought presents but some parents couldn't afford as many and it had nothing to do with being good or bad.

This story was what made DH and I decide not to lie about Santa, or link behaviour with random commercial goods.

My kids are asked to behave because of the intrinsic value of the behaviours I want to encourage, not because some creepy elf might tell Santa and therefore he might not get toys. To me this is an immature way to apply discipline, and causes all sorts of confusion and inappropriate implications like the story above.

If you want to do the Santa is real thing, fine. If you want to tell your kids that an elf has come to visit, also fine. Creepy elf tattling to Santa about your kids behaviour? Crap cop out parenting, IMO.

#22 76 feral others

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (GoneWithTheWhinge @ 29/11/2012, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The way we do it isn't creepy or mean! We don't have one of the creepy looking elf on the shelf elves but instead a friendly looking one called Twinkle.

He arrives on 1st December, if he has finished all of his jobs at the North Pole and does various 'naughtiness' around the house each night, or leaves the girls a Christmas themed gift/activity (like a marshmallow santa or a colouring book or an invitation to go and see one of Santa's helpers at the shops), he 'writes' in a notebook each day about what they've been up to - like if Big Girl got an award at school or if Little Girl had been helping well at home and reminds them if there has been any less than desirable behaviour, worded along the lines of 'It made me sad when Little Girl was scratching Big Girl today, I really love to see it when you play nicely like when you played Pet Shops this morning'

The sort of tricks he gets up to include hanging undies on the Christmas tree, making 'snow' angels with flour, dolly tea parties, stealing a beer from the fridge, scattering dvd's over the floor for a movie night. Each morning they rush downstairs to find him in the midst of the naughtiness. They absolutely love it. We don't do the him going back to Santa each day, he sometimes says that he might have to if they have had a non stop day of pesting but he's never gone yet!

They love it so much Big Girl wrote to Santa last month to ask if Twinkle can come and visit, she had the reply back this week saying that he will be coming but he has been up to naughtiness at the North Pole including putting glue on the toilet seat and pink dye in Santa's beard wash!

I think it depends on how you play it, we certainly don't do it mean or make it about the girls' behaviour but more about fun and about what tricks the elf can get up to.

I've got some good plans for this year - he will have a zip wire across the playroom, a hot air balloon form the upstairs landing and a hot date with Barbie!

That is so cool! How fun.

#23 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

LOVE your ideas!!!!! the kids will love that kind of stuff.....im really not too worried about the naughty side to be quite honest the boys are very well behaved in my opinion!!! but its a nice family tradition!!

#24 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

That's brilliant!!!

We take pics with him and bring him along to things like when we go to see the christmas lights, kids school and kindy concerts etc - kind of more like a Flat Stanley, has anyone else's kids done those?

#25 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'm with you on this one. The "naughty or nice" thing really annoys me as does the idea that the children are being spied on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.