What songs make you cry?
Quite possibly been done before :p

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 TopsyTurvy

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Came across this old gem on YouTube this morning and yep I bawled my eyes out.

Me & little Andy - Dolly Parton

** warning song mentions child neglect and death**

I blame my mother for this as she played this to us when I was just a small girl, and when I went to live with my dad at age 5 it was on a mixed tape that she sent with me.  My dad confiscated it cause it used to upset me so much.  Still upsets me today, although I think if I didn't have the childhood trigger it wouldn't make my cry.

So what songs make you cry and why?

#2 tassiegal

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Tears in Heaven and Beautiful in my eyes as they were played at my daughter's funeral.

#3 TinMan

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I was crying during the singing parts in Disney's Tangled yesterday, but I'm blaming that on the IVF drugs I am up to my eyeballs in.

Luka by Suzanne Vega used to do it to me; and Tori Amos but I think that's a trigger thing like you and your mix tape

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

The Ship Song - Nick Cave.

There's also The Ship Song Project (lucky Sarah Blasko only has about one line in it...). The clip for this wrenches my heart, especially going from Paul Kelly to Teddy Tahu Rhodes.

Edited by noi'mnot, 30 November 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#5 librablonde

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I Was Only 19 by Redgum sad.gif

#6 BobTony

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

The Drugs Don't Work byThe Verve reminds me of a friend who committed suicidewhen we were both in our 20s after years of struggling with mental illness.

ETA yes, that too librablonde

Edited by JingleBob, 30 November 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#7 Chelli

Wonderful Now by Everclear gets me every time.

Here without you by 3 Doors Down and Fix You by Coldplay also gets me.

#8 Madeline's Mum

Tears in Heaven and last day on earth always make me cry, they were both played at my daughters funeral.

More recently Small Bump by Ed Sheeran. It's about stillbirth and is heartbreaking. It explains the feelings about the entire journey really well, always leaves me blubbering.

#9 ~flaxen~

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Jessie's Song from Toy Story 2  blush.gif . The boys think it's hilarious that I tear up, and put it on repeat. I have to leave the room.

#10 gettheetoanunnery

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Sous le dôme épais où le blanc jasmin - from opera "Lakmé" - although it is seems a favorite at the moment with advertisers, so it's effect has been dulled somewhat.

Shiloh - Neil Diamond
Little Drummer Boy - the Boney M version

The Ship Song and Into my Arms - Nick Cave

ETA In Spite of Me - Morphine - ex sent this to me on anniversary of a break up.
Also Redgum - thanks PP I forgot this one

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 30 November 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#11 Orangedrops

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Puff the magic dragon

#12 Peridot

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Two sparrows in a hurricane by Tanya tucker!
And puff too...

Edited by Peridot, 30 November 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#13 causeway

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Wind Beneath My Wings

Just after I finished school, a good friend's mum died of stomach cancer. It was the first funeral I had ever been to. I went with my Mum. It is 20 years later and I'm tearing up now just thinking about it. I, too am on IVF drugs so that could be a contributor.

#14 BobTony

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Also Old Town by Phil Lynott, because of the fact that he was dead of a drug overdose only a few years after singing "This boy is cracking up, this boy has broke down"

#15 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Tim Freedman singing Two Little Boys ...

#16 gettheetoanunnery

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Also - Mother by John Lennon

"Mother, you had me
But I never had you
I wanted you
But you didn't want me"

Just tears me up

#17 gettheetoanunnery

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

DP

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 30 November 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#18 Chelli

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

More recently Small Bump by Ed Sheeran. It's about stillbirth and is heartbreaking. It explains the feelings about the entire journey really well, always leaves me blubbering.

Add that to my list now cry1.gif I have a meeting this afternoon so hoping the red eyes are gone by then blush.gif

#19 toosenuf

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

The living years by Mike & the Mechanics

Louis Armstrong's version of What a Wonderful World

#20 Becky Thatcher

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Really, really showing my age here but a song that my parents used to sing (to get us to sleep) called "Old Shep" about a dog.

Feel tears welling in my eyes just thinking about it sad.gif

#21 ThreeLittleLambs

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Pearl Jam- Last kiss cry1.gif and pachabels (sp) cannon.

#22 toosenuf

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 30/11/2012, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really, really showing my age here but a song that my parents used to sing (to get us to sleep) called "Old Shep" about a dog.

Feel tears welling in my eyes just thinking about it sad.gif

that was by Elvis, wasn't it?  it didn't make me cry, but its a very sad song sad.gif

#23 brangisnotaword

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Oh, that's easy.  My Beloved Wife - Natalie Merchant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PtB5_eEpLs

The Greatest Discovery by Elton John.  It's not a very well known song.  From his early days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEUCkw2uwA4

Oh, dear.  I just listened to it.  Boo, hoo.

Edited by stopwhiningatme, 30 November 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#24 silver-rain

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Meet me in the Middle of the Air, originally by Paul Kelly but the version that the guys from Tripod and Eddie Perfect did on an episode of Side Show is incredible. You tube it, it's worth it!

#25 JuniPooks_

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

"Saltwater" by Julian Lennon is the first song that made me cry, by memory.

"Soon we'll be found" by Sia still gets me. I listened to it a lot when I was in the dying days of an abusive relationship. It seemed to speak all the sadness I had. It takes me right back and still breaks my heart.

"What a wonderful world" and "I just called to say I love you" were played at Dad's funeral and I still feel I can't catch my breath when I hear them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.