Daycare giving 11 month old cake?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 clrw

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

When DP picked DS up from daycare today they had given him cake. He had never had cake before. We don't feed him sweets. We won't hold out forever but don't see the point giving him junk this early.

Would you have an issue with it? How forceful have you had to be with daycare about food/sweets?

#2 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

DS1's first cake was at his first birthday so not too far off. DS3 has cupcakes occasionally at daycare.

It's only sometimes so I'm not too worried about it. He eats very well there otherwise.

#3 Ehill

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

I wouldnt be fussed at all.  But I dont think of cake as 'junk'.  Yes, it has sugar but a nice homemade cake has all decent yummy things in it, nothing wrong with butter, eggs, decent quality cocoa and flour imo as long as it is in moderation.  Far less junkie than a muesli bar or even some rubbish bought rice cake or crackers.

I bet he LOVED it!  My DS loves a piece of my homemade banana or chocolate cake!  biggrin.gif

#4 becstar101

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I wouldn't be fussed, I assume it was a celebration for another child's birthday?

If you have an issue, just let the staff know that you'd prefer no cake/sweets in the future.

#5 Mung bean

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'm a bit the same as you OP, my Ds didn't have cake even for his first birthday. Now he will have bananna cake that I make him and I am more laxed now that he is 19 months old.

I'd be a bit annoyed that they didn't check first with me.

#6 SplashingRainbows

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Wouldn't bother me.

I know daycare (in NSW) have to include pretty well 100% of the recommended served of fruit/veg/dairy etc. if there's some occasional cake in there too that's ok with me. Everything in moderation.

#7 agnodice

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Meh. If it was every day I'd complain. If it was an unlimited amount i'd complain. As a tiny piece in addition to an otherwise healthy afternoo tea? I'd be glad my child was being tught about how to consume 'sometimes foods' in moderation.

There is no lesson in 'hiding' junk food from kids. They all discover it eventually, and the ones who aren't taught to consume it with self control have no skills to deal with it.

Also depends what they call 'cake'. At ours, 'cake' is a tiny piece of sugar free banana bread.

#8 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Whilst I don't have a problem with DS having a taste of cake every now and then, I think the day care centre should check with you that you're okay with it before giving it to them.

#9 ziggy72

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

DS1 had his first cake for his first birthday - that siad he didn't like it.

DS2 was around his older brother so had more or less whatever was around.

I don't think it is a big deal, we enjoy a healthy diet and some treats. Works fine for us. But it is your right, so speak to the childcare if you feel strongly.

#10 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

We were just discussing this at work. If we want to give out candy canes (to primary school aged kids) we need signed permission notes from every single child, but theres nothing for cake. Not sure why.

#11 duckasorus

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Daily i would be annoyed. Once a week/fortnight/month and ownly a small slice i wouldnt care.

Im a little of everything person apart from cordial and fizzy, thats banned in the house.

#12 mpjp

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

A highly restrictive diet has been shown to have adverse effects. Children that are taught the concept of 'everything in moderation' and specifically what 'moderation means have been shown to have better health outcomes.

When I was an Uni studying nutrition we were shown a very old, well known study oin actual children that changed my thoughts about my own childrens nutrition.

Ancedotally, it also explained to me why when my brother & sister left home they gained 18 and 30kg after our sugar free, meat free, junk free, only eating at specific times etc etc etc upbringing, whereas I (and my sister) ended up with eating disorders!

#13 steffijade81

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I don't give DD2 lollies, soft drink etc but wouldnt have a problem with a little piece of cake or something similar. I don't think you really should be angry about it but if you have strict guidelines for what food your child is allowed to eat I would recommend giving the daycare a written list of what you don't allow. It was probably a celebration of some sort and everyone was having some. I get your point about junk and I agree but I don't see cake as junk. I see junk as food/drink that have zero nutritional value like lollies/soft drink and the like.

#14 pitzinoodles

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

No I wouldn't have a problem with an occasional small piece of cake at CC.

I bet he loved it biggrin.gif

#15 jeska~and~her~secret

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm going to disagree with most, and say that I would mind.
DD is nearly 3 and hardly ever has sugar. In the last year, I have relaxed a bit and allowed her to share whatever it is that we are having, but as we don't eat much sugar either, it's still rare that she would have cake. She doesn't drink juice or eat icecream or anything like that.
My friends who are mothers tend to also restrict sugar, so although DD goes on lots of playdates, she is not offered sugary snacks while there.
I would expect (and do expect) our child-care centre to do the same.

meplainjanebrain - that is a really interesting thought though, that moderation is the key. I don't plan on holding DD to a low-sugar diet forever, I just want her to be filled with non-sugar options for as long as I can manage it. Her birthday and that of many of her friends (through mothers' group) is coming up and I expect the parties to have lots of lollies and chocolate etc, and that is fine. Day-to-day, though (and that includes childcare) I will be trying to use fruit and honey as sweeteners.

ETA: for me if it was a sugar-free cake, I would be fine with it. Wheat-free, even better (I bake with alternatives, mostly).

Edited by jeska~and~her~secret, 30 November 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Oh FFS, they didn't give him arsenic.

Cake is not inherently bad - in fact many cakes contain all sorts of things that form a part of a BALANCED diet. Nothing wrong with restricting sugar, but many cakes actually do not have enormous amounts of sugar in them.

And really, that moderation is the key is a new and interesting concept?

Candy canes, on the other hand, are 100% sugar and purely confectionary.

Edited by Jemstar, 30 November 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#17 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

As a first time parent if DS was given cake at 11 months old I would of been very upset.

But now he is two I can see its not the end of the world but at the time I would of been horrified.

#18 eachschoolholidays

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Sheeesh....

Did you tell them he was not to have sweet food?  If not, you have no cause for complaint.  A small slice of cake to (presumably) celebrate a birthday is entirely natural.

An alternative thread to this one is:

Should I complain?  My child was excluded at daycare because he wasnt allowed cake..."

#19 casime

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yet more evidence that EB exists in a parallel universe.

#20 meggs1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

For me it would depend on the cake.   A nice homemade cake with eggs, milk, flour, sugar, spices, fruit etc is fine.   I'd be a bit antsy if he got something branded like a Krispy Kreme or something with masses of artificial colours and flavours as I try to avoid those.

I don't get the theory that not giving them sugar will prevent a sweet tooth.   Fruit tastes way sweeter than cake.  As does breastmilk IMO.

#21 ubermum

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

First child I would have been extremely annoyed that cc had given it to my child. By the third child my only response would be "did she like it?"

#22 I'm Batman

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

What was he going to get for his birthday? No cake?

Edited by I'm Batman, 30 November 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#23 Ally'smum

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I wouldn't be okay with it.

We start child care soon and our child has an egg allergy, I thought they only gave them the food on the menu?

Now I have something else to worry about!

#24 SplashingRainbows

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 30/11/2012, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We start child care soon and our child has an egg allergy, I thought they only gave them the food on the menu?

Our beautiful centre make sure they factor in everyone's allergies. They make a dairy free cake for my son, and have gluten free cakes for those who are intolerant/coeliac.

I'm sure they would not use egg if there was a child with an egg allergy.

#25 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 30/11/2012, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One daycare that we've been at asked parents to supply a list of ingredients if they were bringing in a cake. Another asked parents to make a financial contribution and the cook would produce a birthday cake that was suitable for all children - the first one I saw was a princess castle, so the financial contribution did allow them to take it beyond the everyday banana cake!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.