Daycare giving 11 month old cake?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 ladybird1

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 30/11/2012, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't be okay with it.

We start child care soon and our child has an egg allergy, I thought they only gave them the food on the menu?

Now I have something else to worry about!

No, childcare centres are very careful about allergies.

At our centre, the caterers provide a dairy-free, egg-free, chocolate cake for each child's birthday, and generally all kids eat a small slice (with leftovers shared with kids in other rooms, and/or sent home with the birthday child).

To the OP: it's cake.  Probably has less sugar than, say, the raisin toast the daycare often serves for morning tea.  Or the fruit served for afternoon tea.

But.....don't get me started about easter eggs and the daycare worker who introduced my first to chocolate.....

#102 Domestic Goddess

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 01/12/2012, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh, I wish my kid would eat cake. I made an awesome birthday cake for his first birthday and he wouldn't eat it  cry1.gif Everyone else did, but that's not the point! I show love via baking, what am I to do with a child who doesn't eat cake?!?!?!

Anyways. As you've realised OP, the onus is really on the parent to specify what a child can't have, rather than childcare checking for every child if it's ok for them to have it.

More importantly, did he like it? And can you get him to convince my kid that cake is awesome? laughing2.gif

My DS did not eat any of his 1st birthday cake sad.gif I was hoping to get some great"cake covered face" photos, but no. He had no interest in it. I blame it on teething lol.

QUOTE (JBaby @ 02/12/2012, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once kids know what cake, lollies etc are they will want and ask for them. Why cause that situation earlier than needed?

I don't think this is truly the case with all kids. Not with DS anyway. He loves cake, but never asks for it. He is just happy to have some when it's offered, but otherwise we don't talk about it.
Same with lollies. He gets offered some at parties and stuff and he eats them because occasionally he does like sweets, but still he never asks me for lollies.

When we walk in the supermarket through the confectionery isle, he never ever nags me for chocolate or lollies. At nearly 3yo, he just asks me for a carrot, banana, raw broccoli or breadroll when we walk through the shop.

There is an interesting theory about solids and sweet teeth. I was told that if you start with introducing vegetables first and leave the sweet fruits for last, they wont develop a sweet tooth.
This is definitely the case with DS. Yes he loves cakes and sweets, but he never ever asks for them. It's not a "must have" thing for him. At snack time, he prefers savory crackers over sweet sultana's, muesli bars, etc.

BTW, can someone please tell me why yoghurt and sultana's are supposedly not good for toddlers???

#103 umop-apisdn

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Was it birthday cake or just part of a normal afternoon tea?

If you prefer that your child not be given certain foods, then you obviously need to let the child care centre know, then they could offer an alternative or you could provide one.

If this was due to allergies or the cake being a choking hazard (for a younger baby), then it would be a different issue.

#104 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

I wouldnt care, but then by that age my DD had already had chips, maccas nuggets, and chocolate  biggrin.gif

#105 Lainskii

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Domestic Goddess @ 02/12/2012, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, can someone please tell me why yoghurt and sultana's are supposedly not good for toddlers???

There were some threads quite a while ago that are now infamous that were about yoghurt and sultanas and some strong opinions from some about how bad they are for kids.

#106 Domestic Goddess

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Lainskii @ 03/12/2012, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There were some threads quite a while ago that are now infamous that were about yoghurt and sultanas and some strong opinions from some about how bad they are for kids.

I do sometimes wonder if there are people out there who refuse to feed their child(ren) full stop as everything is bad for them.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.