Daycare giving 11 month old cake?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#51 Diana_Barry

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 30/11/2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When my children went to daycare cake was baked in the kitchen using non sugar alternatives and whole grains and all that stuff. They had cake every week.

My poor DS spent his first birthday at daycare, & it was also his first week there. I felt so guilty. When I went to pick him up they told me they'd had a 'party' for him & cake. I felt a bit weird about that since he'd never had cake before, but now he's been at the centre for a year I realise that what they call 'cake' there is the healthiest possible version! He eats much better quality food at childcare than he does at home to be honest.

They put photos of the little party in DS's communication book, & it was SO cute... him wearing a little party hat. I know that he wouldn't have had a clue what was happening, but I'm grateful they made such an effort to make his day special. And that he had cake. wink.gif

I wouldn't stress OP.  Maybe ask the cook/chef at the centre about what kind of cake the kids are given.

#52 Fright bat

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Mamacass2 @ 30/11/2012, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Wanderer I'm sorry but are you serious???Since when did ensuring your child has good healthy food at a young age or any age make a parent a control freak ohmy.gif .

When a parents obsession with 'healthy food' (as defined by them) interferes with their child's ability to participate in a cultural norm.

Food is not medicine. Food is not just about health. Food is a powerful social and cultural phenomenon.

It is also pervasive. I personally think its a parents job to educate their kids about healthy food choices, not attempt to beat them into submission by restricting availability.

#53 bakesgirls

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (TheWanderer @ 30/11/2012, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol... Nearly spat wine on my iPad.

biggrin.gif  

I want cake now. And wine, now you mention it.  happy.gif

#54 Heading South

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Mamacass2 @ 30/11/2012, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be annoyed. Both of my children had their first try of cake on their first birthdays, cake that I had made for them. Your child is still a baby and the centre should be respectful that a lot of parent do not feed their babies sugary foods.

I agree with this,I have no issue with my both my boys eating cake now in toddles room but at CCC I don't think cake  should be aloud cake in the babies room.It should be the joy of a being a parent to see their child/ren eat  their first birthdays cake or anything really.

#55 Expelliarmus

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'm guessing some people haven't had #1 feed 2 month old baby #3 mashed potato with salt, paper, mayo, milk and butter when their back was turned, have they?

Don't sweat the small stuff, guys original.gif

#56 *maddierose*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

When you enrolled him in childcare there is a form you usually fill out saying if there are foods your child cannot have. This is the place you write cannot have cake.

#57 wilding

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

At least it wasn't poop  laugh.gif

#58 AlexandraI

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hope it had lots of sugar and chocolate in it OP.... LOL
Seriously - Keep your pants on big mumma. Your probably just jealous you got none.

#59 clrw

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Wow. I guess this is one of those "don't bring it up on EB" topics and I didn't realise LOL. Hope you all had fun flaming each other. It's given me an early morning giggle!!

I'll take on board that most said not an issue and that we should have given clearer instructions if we did. I guess partly as his first birthday is coming up we wanted to have the privilege of giving him his first nibble of cake ourselves.

You should have no concerns about an extreme approach to food in this house.....

#60 clrw

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

roll2.gif roll2.gif  

Sorry still p**sing my pants!!

#61 lizzzard

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

There's a reasonable number of PPs who would have been unhappy....I'm genuinely curious why. Do people think that one single peice of cake will have had long lasting, detrimental health effects on the child? Or is that one piece of cake percieved as a slippery slope to uncontrollable daily consumption of junk food? Will it now make it difficult to enforce abstinence? I think I can be a bit blase about stuff like this so maybe I'm missing something...

#62 sophiasmum

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

I don't see a problem with that OP  huh.gif

#63 CupOfCoffee

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (wilding @ 30/11/2012, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least it wasn't poop  laugh.gif

laugh.gif My daughter had already had poop by 11 months.

I prefer her to eat cake.

On the food discussion with child care, I do try to minimise certain artificial colours and preservatives because they make her go crazy, so I don't mind her having home made (not packet mix) cake (as long as it doesn't have pink/yellow/blue icing) because they are usually ok.

But sometimes she does get something that sends her off and we just manage the mood that follows.  (usually she is only really difficult if there have been a couple of slips over a couple of days).

But as parents we should retain say into what our children eat... but we need to be clear with other carers what that is (telling people why usually helps... except with grandparents... laugh.gif

Edited by CupOfCoffee, 01 December 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#64 MintyBiscuit

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Meh, I wish my kid would eat cake. I made an awesome birthday cake for his first birthday and he wouldn't eat it  cry1.gif Everyone else did, but that's not the point! I show love via baking, what am I to do with a child who doesn't eat cake?!?!?!

Anyways. As you've realised OP, the onus is really on the parent to specify what a child can't have, rather than childcare checking for every child if it's ok for them to have it.

More importantly, did he like it? And can you get him to convince my kid that cake is awesome? laughing2.gif

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 01 December 2012 - 06:54 AM.

#65 F.E.B.E

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

My first child had yoghurt and blueberry muffins as his first birthday cake. They were probably organic too blush.gif Second child had a homemade cake covered in fondant. It's child #1 who craves sweets. I would be concerned about restricting fat and carbs in a baby or toddlers diet without medical advice. Sure, they should be sourced from healthy sources, but I believe low-fat foods are only for age 2+.

#66 Let-it-go

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (clrw @ 01/12/2012, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
roll2.gif roll2.gif  

Sorry still p**sing my pants!!

So am I OP!  I posted and then went to bed and only just checked back then.  Wow, what a bun...I mean...cake fight.

Ooooooohhhhh what sort of cakes shall we bake our LO's for their big days this week!

#67 Black Velvet

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

At first I read that as if the daycare was dishing out 11 month old cake to the kids lol.

In all seriousness, no it wouldn't bother me.

#68 BVB09

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (lizzzard @ 01/12/2012, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a reasonable number of PPs who would have been unhappy....I'm genuinely curious why. Do people think that one single peice of cake will have had long lasting, detrimental health effects on the child? Or is that one piece of cake percieved as a slippery slope to uncontrollable daily consumption of junk food? Will it now make it difficult to enforce abstinence? I think I can be a bit blase about stuff like this so maybe I'm missing something...

+ 1

#69 HRH Countrymel

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (MsN @ 30/11/2012, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. And how embarrassed will you be when she goes to her first prep birthday party and is so busy stuffing her face with sugar laden party food that she won't even go play (yes, seen it).

This was ME!  I'd dive into a fizzy drink as if I'd just wandered out of the Kalahari!

Same with TV.  I'd sit in awe of any old crud beaming from a TV as we didn't get to watch it at home.

In fact it was my almost cult like obsession with TV that is one of the main reasons my friends whom have known me for a long time have avoided the 'no TV' thing with their children!

#70 Chocolate Addict

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Meh, I wish my kid would eat cake. I made an awesome birthday cake for his first birthday and he wouldn't eat it cry1.gif Everyone else did, but that's not the point! I show love via baking, what am I to do with a child who doesn't eat cake?!?!?!

Send them to my 7yo non cake, lolly, chocolate eating child to play with. lol

I don't think it is the end of the world. My kid did have some cake for his first birthday but perhaps he didn't like my cooking cos he hasn't eaten cake since!  laugh.gif

I did hold off on giving him chocolate until he was almost 3yo - turns out he doesn't like it anyway. win for me, but I doubt it had anything to do with me holding out on him, just his super fussy eating habits.

#71 TheWanderer

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 01/12/2012, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is NO REASON for a 11 mth to eat cake.

There is a perfectly good reason... because it is fun and the other kids are all having fun and kids like having fun and a small amount of cake that most of which would have been smooshed between their fingers and squashed into the floor anyway would have not in anyway have harmed the child.

"Pedantic control freaks" like myself realize that there will be a years of junk food and while they are young, there is no reason for it.  Will they fall over and die?  No of course not.  But that is besides the point.  It's not up to daycare to decide when it happens.

I guess if you don't tell them otherwise they will decide for themselves.

Wow... maybe you are right after all: smh.com/baby-spontaneously-combusts-after-eating-cake.html

I guess it's only fair to call you careless and irresponsible with what your child eats then.

Heh... call me what you will. If letting my kids celebrate a birthday with their mates at daycare makes me careless and irresponsible then so be it.

Edited by TheWanderer, 01 December 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#72 Expelliarmus

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Where's Bugglylicious and her 11mth old having a cake smash in her sig when you need her ...?

#73 TheWanderer

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 01/12/2012, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where's Bugglylicious and her 11mth old having a cake smash in her sig when you need her ...?

Now... that IS careless and irresponsible... that's a waste of perfectly good cake!

#74 casime

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Everyone else did, but that's not the point! I show love via baking, what am I to do with a child who doesn't eat cake?!?!?!

Send the cake to me.  I promise to gush appropriately and call you "Cake Master of the Universe" from now on!

#75 Swarley

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Mamacass2 @ 30/11/2012, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Wanderer I'm sorry but are you serious???Since when did ensuring your child has good healthy food at a young age or any age make a parent a control freak ohmy.gif .

Since one becomes over the top and hysterical.
Your child can have a healthy, organic, natural, preservative and additive free diet, and still have a small piece of cake. If they're eating strictly healthy for 365 days a year, having a piece of cake once a month would hardly even register. The fact that some would even bother complaining about it is what makes them a control freak.

What reason could there be for an 11 month old having cake? Because it tastes good and was part of a group celebration.
Lighten up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.