Nothing helping hayfever

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

I've suffered with hayfever for longer than I can remember

This year it's worse than ever. My eyes are itchy, my nose is itchy, my whole body is itchy. All day and all night. My nose is either streaming or I'm blocked up ( especially at night). It's getting unbearable.

I have always got by on Aerius but that didn't work this year. So the pharmacist gave me Telfast Non Drowsy to try but this is doing nothing either.

Anyone out there with similar symptoms? What do you take to relieve symptoms? Is it worth seeing my GP for advice? ( I feel a bit daft going for hayfever).

TIA

#2 caesie'n'linc

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

My sister takes a telfast every single day during spring/summer to manage her hayfever.  I get it too but nowhere near as bad.
Don't feel silly seeing your GP, they are great with things like this original.gif

Where do you live?  My sister is considering going to an allergy clinic soon to see if they can help her at all, I can find a link to the place she is thinking of going if you are in brisbane original.gif

#3 babatjie

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Nothing has worked this year for me either. I take phenergan before I go to sleep and claratyne or zyrtec in the morning. I am so sick of it, I wake up during the night with hayfever attacks and losing sleep.

My sister has the same problem, she saw her GP. He told her to take oral prednisolone for 5 days to 'reset' herself and then the antihistamines will work again. I haven't had a chance to go talk to my GP having 2 small kids and a husband that works away, but I'd love something that works!

Hope you find something. original.gif

#4 mumto3princesses

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Yep, nothing over the counter is working for me this year. I usually cope ok with a 180mg Fexofenadine. My GP said the same as Sassy Girl said.

My GP put me on the prescription Rhinocourt nose spray (which is stronger than the over the counter one) and then when that didn't work he put me on Nasonex which is also a nose spray. That seems to be helping thank goodness. I also use a Saline nose spray a few times a day especially just before the Nasonex.

#5 Escapin

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

There's a preventer you can get from your doc called Avamys. (not sure about the spelling!). It's DEFINITELY worth seeing your GP about hayfever. I know, it's awful sad.gif

#6 BJBubbles

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

My DH suffers terribly! He takes a telfast (180mg I think)  EVERY day of the year.

When it starts getting bad, he then also uses Rhinocourt nasal spray each morning, and has Livostin eye drops for when needed.  He also takes a Polaramine at night if he's had a particularly bad day and Wears his sunglasses when outside all the time to help stop pollen etc getting in his eyes.

He saw the GP one year and he was able to give him stronger eye drops and nose spray which helped, but if he keeps up the Telfast etc before it gets too bad, he seems to be OK.  

Good Luck - hayfever is the pits!

#7 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm currently taking 180mg Telfast daily and yeah, it's not doing a thing. GP on Monday for me.

Thanks again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.