Planting passionfruit vine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hi, I have just done a trip to bunnings to find they had in non-grafted black passionfruit vine's. i've been looking for a non-grafted one for some time and dont come across them too often, where we live anyway. Years ago a planted a grafted passionfruit and after two years it started to sucker from the rootstock, i was so dissapointed,  so i thought i'm not going to grow a grafted one again after that.

I was just wondering where is the best position in the garden to plant passionfruit, i would have thought direct sunlight? In my garden i can choose between morning sun or hot afternoon sun, i think that the hot afternoon sun postiion would suit it better, what do you think? thanks

#2 fancie

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

My mum's passionfruit vine grew on a north facing trellis set well away from the house and trees, so had no shade at all .  It was blasted with sun for all of the day, for all of the year.

The passionfruit she grew were to die for.

I don't know if that's the correct way to grow them but it worked for my mum (house was in Sydney suburbs).

#3 imamumto3

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

ours is growing at the back of the yard, north facing.  it gets sun most of the day.  the cockatoos are getting at the fruit though

#4 Jekaho

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Ours growing up faced west (the only choice my parents had for veggies). So it got full midday through afternoon sun. Grew really well, but as PP said, the cockatoos LOVED it. Eventually my parents pulled it out because netting wasn't working and all the fruit was disappearing.

#5 seepi

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

I'm just wondering how you can tell if you are buying a grafted or non-grafted one? Non-grafted sounds better - well done OP.

#6 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hit is with as much sun as you can, and use citrus fertiliser, if you do fertilise. The fruit is not ripe till it drops or comes off at a touch.

#7 Froger

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

I have two passionfruit against an east facing wall (so they don't get any afternoon sun). They are growing really well, very vigorously.  Not sure what variety they are (they're two different ones) or if they are grafted or not, but they are going great. I only water them and that''s it. They fruit for almost the whole year around. In in Qld.

#8 *LucyE*

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Passionfruit are pretty hardy so I would plant it in the most convenient position that has the most sunlight hours.

They are also very thirsty so need plenty of water. Their root system is shallow and spread out so don't just water/mulch/feed around the stem, but a wide arc.

This is a link to the Gardening Australia fact sheet. I really like their work original.gif
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2007495.htm

#9 my4beautifulboys

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for youre replies, i think i will plant it on the north fence, which does get most of the direct sunlight and the hot afternoon sun too, i'll just have to make sure i keep the water up to it. Oh no that's not nice that the parrots take the fruit, can you net the vines or not to keep them off? We have other birds that take fruit but not parrots.

seepi  I have been looking for a non-grafted one for sometime as you dont see them too often, most are grafted ones (nellie kelly), this one is a black passionfruit and on the label says Non-grafted, so i hope it goes well.

LucyE  Thanks for the link i will have a look at that, i am a regular reader of the gardening Australia magazine, i really like their work too. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.