best toy storage?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 babysaurs

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Looking to get some good toy storage for my dd and ds toys any good suggestions?
Are the Ikea ones any good?

#2 marnie27

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

We have a whole wall of expedit bookcases in our toy room. An eight cubby one costs $99 and they are tough and sturdy. We store lots of stuff in skubb boxes that fit (3 for $24) and then put other stuff straight on the shelves for display/easy access.

Ikea have just released expedit in high gloss, including grey and red - they look great!

#3 babysaurs

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Did you get them from ikea?

#4 harryboy

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

I bought this little rack from Aldi which has been handy. It has 12 of those fabric style boxes stored along 3 shelves and they tilt forward to you can see what is in them. Good for cars, small toys etc.

#5 KnightsofNi

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Ikea Trofast rock!

#6 mumto3princesses

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

We have the expedit bookcases from ikea and fabric drawers. I love them. The girls just throw their toys etc in the drawers and it doesn't matter how messy they are inside the drawers as you can't see inside.

Edited by mumto3princesses, 02 December 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 02/12/2012, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of the toys are stored in trofast units from ikea. I prefer the solid pine to the particle/fibre board of the expedit series.

I also like that the Trofast is easy to rearrange if you move house or to make way for some large item such as a dolls house or train table.

#8 lozoodle

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Expedit bookshelves from ikea are the best. Most things visible on the shelves mean kids play with them and they dont get lost or buried and broken in toy tubs. Then baskets in the cubes to make drawers for the smaller items (my little pony accessories, kitchen and play food, etc)

I have them in the living room and also in kids rooms.

#9 tibs

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

I need some way to store my son's huge trucks, they are the big bruder and tonka ones and take up so much room, and they are too big for the expedit and trofast units.

#10 amabanana

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Trofast and Expedit all the way at our house.

#11 cinnabubble

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

best toy storage?

The Salvos' donation bin. It's awesome for managing clutter.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 02/12/2012, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On top of the trofast? We store stuff on top as well as in the tubs.

We do too, and they're low enough that the children can reach the Lego tubs and things on top.

I did eventually put all the giant trucks outside, including the ones with batteries. They use them more out there, they're not underfoot, and as long as the ones with batteries are under cover at the end of the day, they're fine.  All still going strong after nearly a year out there.

#13 babysaurs

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Would love to see pics if anyone wants to share:)
Also for those with the Ikea troffast unit what size do you have for 2 kids and is it enough?

#14 Awesome101

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

Ive just bought 2 x Riley 8 storage cubes from Super Amart ($99 each) and  some coloured fabric storage boxes from target ($9 each) I put each set on opposite walls, use the boxes for small toys, open shelves for large toys and teddies and the remaining shelves are bookcases. The top is used for very larges toys that dont fit in the cubes and also as a play bench for DS. Works really well and wish I had done it a lot sooner.

Edited by Awesome101, 03 December 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#15 Carabosse

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

We have a Trofast in each bedroom and then an expedit in the 'toy' room. We only just got the expedit and I must say it's way better than I expected and fitted in way more stuff than I hoped!! We got the largest one and I filled it with a mix of tubs, baskets drawers and doors with books in the top sections and it looks awesome. I like it because I cannot see the clutter. All those LPS and MLP and Barbie crap hidden a place for everything. They just get out the box they want to play with. We got a Stuva storage bench (like a wheelout toy box) for the bigger playsets and the smaller dolls house sits on top of that.

I might take a photo!!

I am loving the expedit more than the trofast, but then my kids are not toddlers anymore.

#16 funandlaughter

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

another one here that uses the Ikea expedit. I like it better then the trojfast as it grows with your child..... can be a bookcase for baby, toybox for child and bookcase again for teenager

#17 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

We recently put a wall of expedit units in the toy room - configured 2 x 6. All the big toys sit on top, the medium ones on the top row, and fabric bins on the bottom row for small things.

#18 boatiebabe

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

My son has by far the most toys that take up the most room.

I ended up putting Elfa shelving in the garage and then placing all of DSs toys in large plastic see through tubs (I find the ones from Woolies the hardest wearing so far).

So all the cars are in one box. All the Thomas trains in another (though he rarely uses them anymore!). The slot car set in another, Duplo in one, lego in another etc etc.

When he wants one he just grabs a box (or asks for help for the high ones) and pulls it out, plays with it, packs it up and puts it back.

It keeps the kid clutter out of the living areas and saves my sanity.

DD has a few boxes too, but those are usually stored under her bed in her room.

#19 lozoodle

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (babysaurs @ 03/12/2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also for those with the Ikea troffast unit what size do you have for 2 kids and is it enough?

This is the expedit in my daughters' room. I opted for this over other types as its practical when they are older and past the toy stage.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/lozoodle/girlsroom.jpg

#20 tibs

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (lozoodle @ 03/12/2012, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the expedit in my daughters' room. I opted for this over other types as its practical when they are older and past the toy stage.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/lozoodle/girlsroom.jpg

That looks awesome original.gif  And now that I have 2 girls who will soon be sharing a room I must ask the inevitable where did you get their gorgeous bedding from question  blush.gif

#21 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (babysaurs @ 03/12/2012, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have this:

The cupboard is also Trofast, and has dressing-ups hanging in the one side, and all the assorted bits and pieces (doctor set, bags, shoes, etc) in the drawers.  We actually have more tubs now, so stuff stands on the top plus DD has a few pink tubs as well.

I have 3 children.  We have a train table, so the trains and track are stored in drawers under the table, and puzzles, board games and things like that are also stored somewhere else.

#22 lozoodle

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (tibs @ 03/12/2012, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That looks awesome original.gif  And now that I have 2 girls who will soon be sharing a room I must ask the inevitable where did you get their gorgeous bedding from question  blush.gif

Its from adairs, i love adairs kids stuff!!!!

I was looking online today and saw they released a new owl one (so similar to the ones in that pic, but different) and its in cot sized too. SO tempted to buy it for the new bub. Must resist lol

#23 mombasa

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

We have a wall of Expedit from Ikea with the cane baskets in our toyroom, keeps it nice and tidy.

#24 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Trofast and Expedit from Ikea are great.
I also have a white pantry cupboard that stores things like board games, big puzzle boxes, arty stuff, etc.
ETA: ikea also have a toy box that has a pull out drawer, but can't remember the name of it. Great for storing stuff on top (or sitting on) but also very accessible storage

Edited by NotBitzerMaloney, 03 December 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#25 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

I vote for Expedit from Ikea too.  You can get drawers, baskets, doors and lots of other options on each square.  You can put them horizontally or vertically.  I love them!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.