Menu Plan
Whats on the menu at your place

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#1 Natahs_mum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Mon Steak, homemade wedges and salad

Tues Baked potatoes with sour cream, coleslaw and bacon.

Wed  chili con carne http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/24842/chilli+con+carne

THurs Corn beef, with mash and veggies

Fri http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14020/penne+boscaiola

Saturday Take away

Rapberry Brownies http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18596/christmas+brownies

#2 Funnington

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

I'll copy my menu from another thread:

We're having (in no particular order or 'set days'):

Tonight - beef stroganoff, mashed spuds and steamed beans

Throughout the week:

- Homemade chicken snitz and homemade potato salad

- Corned beef, coleslaw and roast potatoes

- Marinated (and roasted) chicken drummettes and salad of some description

- Homemade pizzas (I bought the bases from Baker's Delight) with marinated lamb strips, roast sweet potato, onion with tzakiki

- Steak sangas, salad, cheese and chutney (maybe some oven fries)

- Leftovers from the corned beef one other night

Mostly salads with our main dish this week due to the weather warming up.  I'm going to use our BBQ more for anything that requires the oven.

#3 UpsyDaisy

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I shop fortnightly and not due to meal plan til Wednesday, but I am super curious on this one. It sounds lovely.

QUOTE (Funnington @ 02/12/2012, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Homemade pizzas (I bought the bases from Baker's Delight) with marinated lamb strips, roast sweet potato, onion with tzakiki

What sauce, if any, do you put on  the pizza bases? And what do you marinated the meat it?

Thanks original.gif

#4 Funnington

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

What sauce, if any, do you put on  the pizza bases? And what do you marinated the meat it?

Sorry, I should have added that.  I just make a mix with tomato paste, olive oil, salt and pepper and fresh rosemary.  Spread over the pizza base.  With the lamb - I use lamb leg steaks (they're cheap, tender and boneless).  I marinate them in paprika, cummin, salt and pepper and olive oil then lightly pan fry.  The lamb ends up with a lovely crust.  It sounds labour intensive but it's not.  

I also serve with a salad of lettuce chunks (usually cos lettuce), diced cucumber and tomatoes.

ETA:  oh, I forgot the sweet potato.  Blanche in the microwave to par cook, toss them in olive oil and garlic and roast on high until golden.  I allow to cool a bit, you can even cook the sweet potato the day before to save time.

Edited by Funnington, 02 December 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#5 UpsyDaisy

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks so much for all the information.

I'll definitely be trying this original.gif

#6 Pearson

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Monday meatballs and oriental coleslaw (trying a new recipe for meatballs -egg free with Cous Cous)
Tuesday Latina pasta with homemade pasta sauce
Wednesday pork chops in maple syrup, oven baked veggies (sprinkle some polenta over for a super crunch)
Thursday chicken stir fry with my own made up sauce and noodles.
Friday - out for dinner
Saturday - BBQ w friends
Sunday - BBQ w friends

#7 *melrose*

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Yum will be looking at this thread  everyweek for ideas.
thanks

#8 Natahs_mum

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Next week

Mon Pasta with tuna,chilli, lemon and Thai basil  never made it but it sounds and looks delish http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23654/past...+and+thai+basil

honey date, and walnut loaf.. sounds delish http://capilano.com.au/recipe/honey-date-walnut-loaf/

Edited by Natahs_mum, 04 December 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#9 cb2

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Monday : Lamb Chop casserole
Tuesday: Roast Pork
Wednesday: Chicken Sovlaki homemade
Thursday Homemade meat pie
Friday Porcupine Balls
Saturday: Homemade meat pie
Sunday out

#10 wesse

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Funnington @ 02/12/2012, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Corned beef, coleslaw and roast potatoes

I haven't ever been game to make corned beef, we had it as children and I loved it with pickles!

How do you corn a la beef?

#11 Caseymay

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (wesse @ 04/12/2012, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't ever been game to make corned beef, we had it as children and I loved it with pickles!

How do you corn a la beef?

Corned beef is pretty easy. I just buy a corned beef from the supermarket/butcher and put it in the slow cooker. Add enough water to cover it (if a bit sticks out the top it doesn't seem to matter). Sometimes I'll throw a sprig of rosemary in with it but usually I add about a tablespoon of golden syrup and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. If you want to you can even throw some potatoes and carrots in with the beef for the last hour of cooking and just pierce them every now and then to see if they are done. Serve with a white sauce and it is delicious!

Forgot to add that I cook it on low for 8ish hours until it is tender and falling apart!

Edited by Caseymay, 04 December 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#12 *melrose*

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

that sounds so yummy!

#13 *-*

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Mon - Beef Pad See Ew

Tues - Grilled fish & salad

Wed - Tandoori Chicken Salad

Thurs - Out for dinner

Fri - Hoisin Beef Stir-fry with Spring Vegetables

Sat - San Choy Bow

Sun - Chicken, Pumpkin & Chickpea Korma

Mon - Mexican Style Shepards pie

Tues - Zucchini, eggplant and mushroom lasagna

Wed - Chicken with Herbed Yoghurt & Salad

Thurs - Out for dinner

Fri - Nasi Goreng

Sat - Thai fish cakes

Sun - Spaghetti Bolognese with Lentils

#14 Natahs_mum

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

We love corn beef here too, l just buy from butchers and usually add golden syrup to it and cook (according to pkt/size) and then serve with mash and veggies and parsley sauce

#15 Funnington

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Regular corned beef consumer's here too!  I'm always interested in other people's version of corned beef.  I cover the meat with water, add a good splash of balsamic vinegar, a big bunch of flat leaf parsley and an onion (peeled and quartered).  Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on low for ages.  I always leave it to rest in the water for at least 1/2 an hour (that's the trick I think).  I don't particularly like it stringy bark style (falling apart), I like to still be able to slice it.  Serve with crispy roast potatoes, a white sauce with dijon mustard and Parmesan cheese and steamed vegetables.

#16 wesse

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yummy! Thanks for the tips .... Corned beef it is on wednesday night for us original.gif

#17 ChunkyChook

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Last night - Sicilian pasta
Tonight - Fish and veg
Tomorrow - Kiev and veg
Thursday - Thai green curry
Friday - Tacos
Saturday - Take away
Sunday - Home made pizza (semi dried tomatoes, salami and mushroom)

#18 sammyv

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Baked Salmon and Veges

Honey Chicken and Noodles

Spagetti bolognese

Mac Cheese with bacon

Creamy Thai Chicken and rice

Steak sandwiches

Homemade fish and chips with salad.

#19 kandj

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

I wish I could be that organised! my meal plans go so far as what we do that night, and sometimes the next night original.gif I have a very well stocked pantry though and a butcher and fruit and veg a couple mins walk away.

Corned beef - I cover it with hot water, rinse it then cover it again with fresh hot water. to that I add, 1 onion peeled and quatered, 1 chopped up carrot, a tablespoon of brown sugar, about 6? whole cloves and I think a tablespoon vinegar? Its been awhile since I've made it but pretty sure thats all it is...

we have it with a white sauce with onion and parsley....of which I make copious amounts to go over the steamed veggies and roast tatties original.gif

#20 mumto3princesses

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Everyone has such different ways of doing corned beef!

I put mine in the slow cooker, water to cover, peel and chop an onion in half and throw in, add about 6 peppercorns and a few bay leaves. Serve with white sauce and either mashed potato, mashed pumpkin and some other veggies or baked potato, baked pumpkin and other veggies.

#21 Natahs_mum

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Mon- Something easy as we have a school end of year picnic and then heading out later in the evening to the "Road to Bethlem" so not sure yet.
Tue -  Bean and bolognaise nachos http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/26594/bean...lognaise+nachos
Wed-
Thurs - Indian chicken with rice  http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28308/indi...with+rice+salad (chops with salad for kids)
Fri
Sat
Sun http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/29239/crun...armesan+chicken

#22 bella67

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thur chicken schnitzel with salad

Fri   out for dinner

Sat   pizza with friends
Sun  steak sandwiches
Mon  pastabake
Tue   webber chicken with roast potatoes and salad
Wed  steak with homemade wedges and salad
Thur  sausages, bacon, egg, spaghetti with hashbrowns
Fri     homemade fish/chicken and chips  w salad
Sat    tacos
Sun   out for dinner
Mon   butter chicken and rice
Tue    stir fry with fired rice
Wed   meatballs and spaghetti

#23 Prime

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

chicken schnitzel and salad
chicken and mushroom risotto
beef and vegie stirfry
lamb cutlets and vegies
baked potatoes with everything we can find in the pantry/fridge
some sort of takeaway

#24 Wahwah

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hmmm, hard to meal plan at this time of the year because someone (not me) seems to be out all the time for work and client functions, and forgets to tell me. Have taken to cooking for me and the kids and leaving him to his own devices.

Monday - kids only, so spag bol for them
Tuesday - Vietnamese salad with chicken
Wednesday - school picnic, so left over chicken with a chickpea & pumpkin salad
Thursday - Zucchini and corn fritters and salad
Friday - Crumbed flathead tails and salad
Out all weekend...

Pretty easy week for us.

#25 Funnington

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hmmm, hard to meal plan at this time of the year

It sure is - in fact, I'm going to just cook something around the stuff I have in the freezer.

A rough plan is:

Tonight - roast lamb, cauli/brocolli and cheese, roast potatoes and steamed carrots and beans
Monday - leftovers from tonight - there is so much leftover roast so probably a fry up and I'll put a shepherds pie together.

The other nights I have heaps of vegetables plus, chicken breasts, chorizo's, steak, mince, roast beef, sausages, pizza bases - heaps of stuff.  

I'll be making it up as I go along this week.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.