Whooping cough newborn
Anyone's newborn had it?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 kittycat01

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

Posted here for traffic...

DS1 (almost 3yrs) and I both got a horrific cough (pretty dure mine had the whoop sound during a few of my coughing fits) and awaiting nasal swab results (both given erythromycin anti-b's anyway). I have a newborn DS2, now 3.5eks old who did a little cough today do of course now I'm panicking that he may have it too. Chances are high as i coughed on him a few times, despite trying my best not to. GP wouldn't give him anti-b's unless he had symptoms due to still clearing jaundice and he was worried about overloading his liver.

Just wanted to hear from anyone who's very young baby got whooping cough pre 1st vaccination (DS1 and I are both vaccinated so if we are dealing with it, it's the new strain anyway). What was treatment, how bad did it get? I'm aware of 1 in 200 mortality rate so please try not to scare me too much with negative stories !!

GP said he'll have DS2 hospitalised if he does have it..,need that like a hole in the head as he has already been diagnosed with Pyloric Stenosis (vomits up entire feed 50% of time) which will need operating on in a few weeks probably...really wish I hadn't broken that mirror last month..,seriously getting my 7 years of bad luck at the moment !!!

Kitty

#2 Prickly

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Yes - I had a child who was diagnosed with WC when he was 8 weeks old (so a little older than your child).
He came through it unscathed. I used some alternative treatments to support him through it, and we avoided hospital and antibiotics. I think that being able to avoid the antibiotics was what saved his life.
Anyway - the treatment I chose was not the popular choice around here, although my GP was supportive. I can't tell you how I treated him, as my post will be deleted.
If you are interested, PM me.
Nicole.

#3 follies

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Please take your child to the ER if any symptoms come up overnight.

#4 Therese

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (follies @ 02/12/2012, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please take your child to the ER if any symptoms come up overnight.

I totally agree. Your baby is so tiny and it is really important you seek medical advice about this.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

OP, if your baby starts couging or exhibiting other signs of being unwell take him straight to the ER.
There are no remedies for WC which do not require conventional medical treatment, please do not use alternative methods.

#6 ubermum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Not mine, but my best friends baby had WC at 7 weeks old. She was in hospital for 3 days and then they were isolated at home for some more time. She made it through unscathed, thankfully, but had a few touch and go episodes in hospital.
Follow STBG's advice.

#7 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

I agree if he starts developing symptoms of WC take him straight to the ER (at a tertiary children's hospital if you have one near you), also if you are breastfeeding keep going with that so he can get your antibodies that way.

#8 FeralZombieMum

If I suspected my newborn baby had whooping cough, I'd be heading up to ED asap.

I hope it isn't, and that it's just a cough, but please don't delay getting treatment.

#9 kittycat01

My problem is that GP wasn't worried because we weren't coughing our guts up in front of him. Thinks I'm being over the top but agreed to test anyway.

If he has a coughing fit, I will take him to emergency but, given we haven't got any confirmation that DS1 and I do in fact have whooping cough, are they likely to admit him?

ETA. Would be taking him to Sydney children's as he's already been there with his other medical condition. They are aware that I may have whooping cough and had us in isolation (though some nurses were taking it more seriously than others with wearing masks entering room etc)

Edited by kittycat01, 02 December 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#10 follies

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (kittycat01 @ 02/12/2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My problem is that GP wasn't worried because we weren't coughing our guts up in front of him. Thinks I'm being over the top but agreed to test anyway.

If he has a coughing fit, I will take him to emergency but, given we haven't got any confirmation that DS1 and I do in fact have whooping cough, are they likely to admit him?

If there are symptoms, yes. However currently you have none. Be cautious but not pessimistic.

#11 funandlaughter

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

personally i would be taking him to ER as it just isnt worth the risk no matter how small it is.

When DD2 was 7wks old she was thought to have whooping cough and was admitted to hospital but had a bad case of bronchialitis (no idea on spelling).

#12 dogsneaker

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

If I suspected my newborn baby had whooping cough, I'd be heading up to ED asap.

I hope it isn't, and that it's just a cough, but please don't delay getting treatment.

this

scary stuff, dont delay. I'd rather be thought over the top and be wrong than the alternative.

#13 schoolmum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

My DS was hospitalised with whooping cough at 3 weeks, and spent 2 1/2 weeks in hospital. For that whole time he did not gain any weight as each time he coughed he threw up, but he did maintain his weight.
He was on oral antibiotics, and so was I, as he caught it from me. I was immunized as a child, but it wears off. He avoided being on oxygen, apart from when he was having a coughing fit. For the first two weeks he had one on one nursing and a private room, that he was not to leave until he had completed his antibiotics, as he was contagious, I stayed in the whole time as he was BF.
He is now a teenager and strong and healthy. I hope that it all turns out well for you. Do not hesitate to go to hospital if you are worried.
Another thing, babies do not always get the "whoop" with whooping cough, so don't wait for that if does start coughing, before you do somthing.

#14 kittycat01

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

funandlaughter DS1 had Bronchiolitis at 12wks old and was hospitalised for 5 days - I remember what that sounded like - not a fun time and I stayed with him then too!!  

That said, our coughs this time are not really like that - very chesty in beginning, then tickly and wheezy, causing repeated coughing - no vomiting from either of us but I was retching on one of the nights. Both of us were gasping for air after repeated coughing. Both keeping entire house awake with all the coughing at night, which is when it's at its worst.

What annoys me is that I got it 10 days after arriving home from hospital and at exact same time as DS1...where the hell did we get it from ??? We haven't been anywhere (he is in daycare though)

Kitty

#15 jules247

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

OP I got whooping cough last year whilst pregnant.  I didn't get the "whoop" sound either but would cough continuously until dry retching.  I coughed so much I broke a rib!  From what you have described I would say there is a chance you may have it and it's better to be precautionary and get tested and start antibiotics like you did.  

The good news was that my DS1 and DH did not get it.  Nor did any family or friends.  So I will hope this is the case for you too.

I still don't know where I got it from either....

#16 Therese

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I also just want to post a reminder that no advice given on EB ever replaces medical advice.  It is really important that if you have concerns that you speak to a doctor.

#17 purplekitty

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

OP, as PP have said ,don't hesitate to take your little one to the ER if you have any concerns at all.Hopefully he won't catch anything anyway.

QUOTE (Prickly @ 02/12/2012, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He came through it unscathed. I used some alternative treatments to support him through it, and we avoided hospital and antibiotics. I think that being able to avoid the antibiotics was what saved his life.
Anyway - the treatment I chose was not the popular choice around here, although my GP was supportive. I can't tell you how I treated him, as my post will be deleted.

Nicole.
Did you just seriously suggest to a mother of a newborn that she avoid hospitals and antibiotics for a baby with the symptoms or if diagnosed with WC?

Your posts should be deleted because they are dangerous. It's bad enough that you are able to give poor medical advice by PM.Please let us know your qualifications.

#18 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#19 adandtia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Antibiotics don't cure whooping cough though, they merely stop you from being infectious. That said, I'd be reluctant to give them to a newborn as well.

#20 Prickly

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

If my Dr. had determined that it was necessary for my child to be admitted to hospital, I wouldn't have hesitated to take him.
We were in contact with my Dr daily, and had several home visits - so he was not without conventional medical care. We just didn't need to take him to hospital. Not all babies who get whooping cough need to be hospitalised.

We discussed the pros and cons of antibiotics, and agreed that unless he developed a secondary infection, that antibiotics would not have helped with the WC. He didn't develop a secondary infection.

The treatment that my DR agreed to use was not homeopathic.

#21 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

My baby has just had Wc, and my family did not get the antibiotics as it was too late.

I would take him to the closest children's hospital and have him tested.

My baby did NOT COUGH at first, just vomited up feeds.

Www.whoopingcough.com.au is the govt. website.

The rch in Melb page

http://www.rch.org.au/clinicalguide/guidel...ough_Pertussis/

Edited by Akatara, 03 December 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#22 IamzFeralz

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

OP,

Please don't have any concerns about taking your baby to a hospital or have worries about your baby taking conventional treatment under the supervision of properly qualified medical staff.

EB is a big place and there are posters here who have strong ideas about certain things and often their to go to point is anecdotal and personal observations, none of which any of us here could ever check out for accuracy or see backed up in good quality peer reviewed studies.  

In a life threatening situation it's best to go with the best practice that has been applied to a huge range of children.  

#23 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

I was interrupted before, but this is some things we did.

My bub was three months, so We were at home, not in hospital. (Although we did have a few Er visits, and a few vists to the gp and pead.)  

We invested in an angelcare movement monitor.
Elevated his cot on an angle.
Sleep him on his tummy. (Back caused massive coughing fits)
My dh took carers leave for a week.
Family and friends helped out with my others kids.
I tools lots of vit c. And probiotics, but still got thrush and a secondary throat infection after the antibiotics.

I breastfeed every two hours, and we gave panadol suppositories. (He couldn't keep down baby panadol)
Had lots of muslin wraps available for catching vomits.

Sleep when baby sleeps, forget about everything else. It was much worse at night so I had to sleep in the daytime.

We are still getting back on track with sleep now, and I've found those zip up swaddled useful.

#24 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (adandtia @ 03/12/2012, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Antibiotics don't cure whooping cough though, they merely stop you from being infectious. That said, I'd be reluctant to give them to a newborn as well.

ABs also reduce the severity of the symptoms if you take them in the early stages.

#25 glasnost

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

OP my eldest two had WC a couple of months ago and it was pretty horrid. If I suspected my newborn had it I would be straight off to emergency. Even if it doesn't turn out to be WC a "bad cough" can be pretty serious in a tiny baby. Good luck, hopefully it turns out ot be a common cold however I would definitely err on the side of caution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.