Fiji? and missing some prep?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NATPR

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

My sister has asked if we would like to join her and kids in Fiji next winter for 2 weeks.

Its tempting, we have not had a holiday in 3 years and would all benefit greatly!

My son will be in prep and my sister cannot travel in school holidays (her work busy time) would it be ok if my son missed 2 weeks of prep?? - 10 days.

I have heard Fiji is great for kids.  We both have 3yo and 5yo kids, who I imagine would play the days away!

Would I be silly passing this up?

#2 B.feral3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yes, go to Fiji. Your son will be fine. We're taking mine out of school for 2 weeks next year to go to the UK. We're going for a month, 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out of the school holidays. He'll be in grade 2 and no doubt he'll catch up fine!!

#3 unicycle

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

yes, by winter he will be settled in.

#4 mombasa

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

We just spent the last 2 weeks in Fiji with our Prep/Kindy DD, she was fine. Her teacher gave her some work to take so she wouldn't miss too much of what they were doing in class.

#5 kezball

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I just pulled my DD out of kindy for a week for Fiji trip which we came back from last week. Your son will get a lot out of the experience and a week out of school won't be detrimental (not in kindy). I got my DD to keep a diary of what she did each day. I bought a botany book with the mix of lined and blank pages. Every night we wrote a sentence or two about our day (I helped her, if he isn't much of a writer then you can scribe for him) and she then drew a picture on the other page. She then took it to school to show her class when she came back. I will be keeping the diary she kept it is a great memento for her (and you) to keep.

#6 Kalota

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm a Prep teacher. 2 weeks is nothing - go to Fiji!

As a teacher I've found that family holidays are rarely detrimental to student achievement. It's the children that are absent and late to school all throughout the year that struggle.

#7 Boombox

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

My kid's teacher has said the same thing as Kalota, that family holidays can be an awesome learning experience and to absolutely do it. We've missed roughly 5-10 school days per year for the last 4 years, and plan to continue it as well.

We usually take readers and maths work sheets with us- not always completed though! We also try to get them to keep a journal

#8 NATPR

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Its great to hear from a teacher also!!  I think the experience he would really love and thrive.

I think I will say yes to going along....  its such great family bonding experience and to have his cousins there also, it will be great for them to bond further!

Thanks you everyone xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.