WDYT? Whooping cough

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ohhmum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have just come home after a GP visit with DS2, nearly six months. He has been in contact with a school friend of DS1 who's dad called yesterday to let us know his (vaccinated) DD has been hospitalised with whooping cough. My DS2 has been unwell with a runny nose for about a week and developed a nasty cough about three days ago so i took him to get checked out just in case, as he has only had two out of three of the whooping cough shots so far. His cough is not really extreme, and GP says that he would have some immunity from the two shots he has had, that if he does have it it is likely a mild case. GP suggested that the swab test for whooping cough is invasive and very uncomfortable for bubs and that he would prescribe the antibiotics for him without the test. I am not a big fan of antibiotics generally, so i am not super keen to give them if not strictly needed.  What would you do? Give the drugs he may not need? Wait and see? insist on the test? DS2 is feeding well, sleeping ok and not unusually upset or anything. Just runny nose and cough, worse at night. Without the whooping cough phonecall i would have just assumed a standard cold...

Sorry if this is hard to follow. Three year old chattering in my ear - can't concentrate!!

#2 ednaboo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

If the GP recommended antibiotic's, I would give the antibiotic's.

#3 Bunsen the feral

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I wouldn't mess about where whooping cough is concerned, I would give the antibiotics.

#4 CharliMarley

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Absolutely - give the antibiotics as whooping cough is a nasty disease and if one child was hospitalised, then it is fairly serious.

#5 Natttmumm

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I would give the antibiotics but still insist on the test. It took 2 seconds and my kids cried for about 10 seconds - big deal. Both mine came back positive (both fully immunised). DD1 coughed for weeks and weeks but was not in a state to be in hospital or anything like that - she didnt get the antibiotcs until the cough started. DD2 (aged 1) was given them as a precaution and did test positive but never coughed at all. The doc thinks beacuse she was more recently immunised she fought it off.

The antibiotics did upset all of our tummies - but it was only for 5 days from memory

#6 Leggy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Normally I hate taking "just in case" antibiotics with a passion, but whooping cough in a baby is a scary, scary thing. I'd take the antibiotics in this case.

#7 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

My son had the test at around that age or a little older.  It was over really fast and he was fine by the time we left the pathology place.

#8 Futureself

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I too am usually very, very against taking antibiotics but for the most severe of confirmed infections. However, I would in this case have him take them, but I'd also insist on the test so you know for sure and can have an idea in the future as to your child's exposure to disease.

I'd also take high doses of probiotics if breastfeeding or give him them directly in his bottle or puree to help keep his system in balance whilst on the antibiotics.

#9 Bottom

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Take the antibiotics! Believe me, the test is agonizing, and I have a very high pain threshold. It only doesn't hurt a lot if you are not ill- if you are coughing, runny nose etc, your sinuses are tender and the test pain goes on for hours. My eyes were still watering the next day, and the ache was extreme. The doctor gave me the test because she was so reluctant to give it to my son because of the pain and she just put him on antibiotics.

#10 Bottom

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Ohm by the way, there are two types of tests but the most invasive one is the most accurate (they are gradually phasing out the less invasive one as it has proven to be inaccurate too much- that's what my son's dr told me, anyhow).

#11 .Jerry.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

My 6 year old and I had the test (and WC confirmed) in September.  The test feels awful but is very very quick.  Molly actually giggled afterwards and said it tickled.  It hurt for me.

I would request the test.

The antibiotics for WC don't actually cure the illness, just prevent spread of infection.  They are only effective if taken early in the illness (first 21 days).

I would want to know if he did have WC as it may change how he is treated.  
My daughter was vaccinated for WC but still got a reasonable dose of the illness - coughing until going purple in face, vomiting up everything, not breathing after coughing fits etc.

#12 *Ker*

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I just had this test (last Friday) and i would NEVER have my kids have it done! OMG, it hurt REALLY bad, and my nose hurt for two days after. It is excruciatingly painful. I had zero warning it would be painful - certainly wasn't expecting it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.