Measles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ~Mo+Moosh~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

On Saturday our 8 month old DS broke out in a rash around his face and neck. The weather was incredibly warm so we assumed it was a heat rash and didn't get too concerned.

Yesterday it spread to the tops of his shoulders and down his arms a little and was a bit angry looking especially in the heat.

When it was still there today we took him to the dr and the dr suspects he has measles (blood results won't be back until Thursday). Other than the rash he hasn't really been unwell, although he had a low grade fever on Thursday that was dealt with using only 1 dose of panadol.

So I'd like to hear others experiences with measles, is it possible to have it and not actually be sick?

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I was horrendously ill when I had measles when I was 5.

Do you know anyone else who had had measles?  If it is measles, don't forget to have him vaccinated for it as well - I had it before I was 1 and my mother was told that I should have still had the vaccine because I was too young to develop lasting immunity the first time around.

Here's hoping it's not.

#3 Cheryl_v

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

My oldest had measles when he was roughly 9 months old and he wasn't really sick either.  He was a bit sleepy and a bit feverish but mostly it was the rash that made me take him to the doctor.  Once the rash had totally covered his torso his behaviour went back to normal so if you didn't see the rash you wouldn't have known he had anything.

#4 ~ky~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Look up roseola infantum and see if it is similar. My baby had it recently and I would have sworn that it was similar to how my eldest kids presented with measles when they were little.

#5 wca

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

How odd. I took my 2yr old to the Dr today for a rash all over his body. He has a red throat and swollen lymph nodes in his neck and a low grade temp and is sleeping more than normal but is generally happy. His rash is more scabby though, like a cross between chicken pox and school sores but is definatley neither of them. He had a throat swab today and we'll knwo on Wed. Hope your little one gets better soon, rashes are a bit worrying aren't they!

#6 Ireckon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Slap cheek has been doing the rounds in our area. No major symptoms, then a rash appears - by which time they are past the contagious period. Google it and see if the rash looks familiar. Measles is a raised rash I believe. Slapp cheek is not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.