drawing
purely curious post.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

What do your children draw at school? DS1 (6 years old) draws game, after game, after game, and a friends little girl (also 6) tends to draw people, her family etc. I just  find it fascinating how they draw such different things, I don't think I have ever seen DS1 draw people/family unless specifically told to.

#2 katrina24

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Both of my girls tend to draw people and people doing things. The older one (just turned 7) will also draw animals, landscapes, flowers and designs for things. She went through a maps stage for a while too.

#3 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

DS draws treasure maps and factories.....he has done A couple of our family, but that's because it's a topic they are doing at school

#4 **Xena**

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

My eldest draws charcters from TV shows or treasure maps, or pretend computers

My middle child draws houses

My youngest always draws people eating doughnuts. I have no idea as we don't even buy doughnuts as I hate them. Every single picture though has a person eating a doughnut. People probably think we live on them laughing2.gif

#5 LookMumNoHands

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

DS6 draws about Star Wars. He does an awesome R2D2  biggrin.gif

DS5 is more a fan of colouring books than drawing.

#6 ~Jam~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

DS1 age 7 (with ASD) draws Angry Birds, Angry Birds, Angry Birds, Lightning McQueen/Cars and the occasional Buzz Lightyear.

DS2 age 4 is currently into rainbows, so much so I think he may have been a unicorn or leprechaun in a previous life. laughing2.gif

#7 Julie3Girls

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

My oldest has always been more of an abstract artist original.gif  She like patterns, colours.
DD2 will be more likely to draw scenes - people, animals, houses etc etc.
DD3 will usually do people, but not as big into drawing or colouring as the other two are.

#8 imamumto3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

ds 7, draws maps all the time

4yo dd, draws dogs, rainbows, flowers and houses..  she will learn to draw something new and will then draw that thing a lot

#9 liveworkplay

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

DD1 (nearly 9) Does lots of still life, flowers, buildings, nature. DD2 (6) does people, mostly family, friends and fairies/princesses.

#10 ~Mo+Moosh~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

DS5 draws all sorts of things. His family, submarines, animals, maps of his school, trees, houses and skylanders.

His pictures have improved a lot in the last couple of months.

#11 mokeydoke

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

How do you draw a game?

Dd2, who is almost 6, draws the most interesting things. This morning she drew a sequence of a bird hatching from an egg, flying for the first time out of the tree, sitting on a branch, fallining out of the tree and hurting its wing, and then eating honey from a beehive on the ground. Last week she drew a pair of giraffes, an eagle, a couple of long neck dinosaurs and a butterfly hanging around a tree. All very random things but usually animals.

#12 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

it looks sort of like a map with little traps here and there, and then I get the commentary about how you play it, what trap does what when you land on it, and on and on it goes lol.

#13 wallofdodo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

My nearly 4 year old just does squiggles still. He went through a phase ages ago where he did faces, but no more...

Should I be worried???!!

#14 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

DD was always drawing horses from before she started school. She is now 17 and works full time for a racehorse trainer.

DS only ever drew cars or motorbikes and now, at 14, races motorcross almost every weekend.

The message here: be careful what they draw when they are little because that could be what they are destined to do later in life. Sorry Xena, looks like a Donut King franchise for you.

#15 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Miss 6 draws herself, her friends, princesses, fairies, unicorns, castles, rainbows, aliens, space ships, Jupiter, Mars, the moon, the life cycle of a butterfly, a lot of it comes from the topic at school.

Miss 4 draws people, flowers, butterflies, lions,'skellingtons' spiders and rainbows

#16 RedBob

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

DD5 draws people, animals, rainbows, cars, roads, houses, apartment blocks and flowers  original.gif

#17 Gudrun

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

My 6 year old granddaughter will draw anything in front of her but themed choice seems to be mostly princesses.

#18 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 03/12/2012, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD was always drawing horses from before she started school. She is now 17 and works full time for a racehorse trainer.

DS only ever drew cars or motorbikes and now, at 14, races motorcross almost every weekend.

The message here: be careful what they draw when they are little because that could be what they are destined to do later in life. Sorry Xena, looks like a Donut King franchise for you.

So I could have a game designer on my hands then ey, aslong as he is a successful one I don't mind wink.gif

wallofdodo my DD and DS2 are almost 4 and still only do squiggles, I am hoping school next year gets them into drawing real pictures.

#19 Busydays

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

DS11 is totally obsessed with 'steampunk' and draws lots of mechanical animals at the moment.
DS3 draws an Olympic picture every.single.day. Apparently the Olympics had a big impression on him!

#20 **Xena**

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

laughing2.gif Ah well- I'll also have a animator and a real estate developer so we should be okay!

#21 blackbird

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 03/12/2012, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sons principle mentioned something about this, she has been at the same school for decades and swears that most kids will end up doing something the were obsessed about when in the 1st few years of school.

DS1 5 years old high functioning ASD- houses mostly, caravans for a while, planes for a while, likes Halloween scenes so pumpkins, witches monsters, robots, the coolest submarine, underwater ocean scenes (octonaughts phase), rainbows for awhile, stick figure family every now and then. not into colouring.

DS2 4 years old, squiggles, if your lucky and M's (the start of his name) apparently he drew a camel at kindy, it looked like circles and a few squiggles and one pic of himself that kind of looked like a person but he isnt interested, he is a real boyish boy, all physical stuff for him.

#22 wallofdodo

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (mad madam mim @ 04/12/2012, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I could have a game designer on my hands then ey, aslong as he is a successful one I don't mind wink.gif

wallofdodo my DD and DS2 are almost 4 and still only do squiggles, I am hoping school next year gets them into drawing real pictures.

Oh Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.