Balwyn High

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Duechristmasday

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Does anyone have (or have had) their children at Balwyn High?

Can you give me some feedback?  Looking at sending the kids there starting next year and looking for a bit more information about the general feel of the school.

We were considering going private but cannot quite justify the money (we have 5 kids - Ouch) and have already been accepted to 2 schools but are now reconsidering our options.  My Dh is hesitant, and I really am not sure why so I wanted to hear some feedback on what your experiences have been like.

#2 wonder woman

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Unfortunately unless you live in their school zone then you are unlikely to be offered a place there sad.gif
http://www.balwynhs.vic.edu.au/enrolments.aspx
http://www.boroondara.vic.edu.au/text/rest...chools_af9d.htm

#3 Divvy

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Academically brilliant.

Community-wise ... not so awesome.  

The reality is that a certain cultural group have bought up a lot of the area and send their children to that school.  Whilst I have no issue with that, unfortunately it seems that a lot of that cultural group are highly academic-focused without considering how well-rounded the students should be.

Having said that - I know plenty of families of all cultures who are sending their children there, and are very happy to do so.  

The other alternatives in the area are also good though (Kew, Koonung) so depending on where you live, they may also be an option.  Balwyn is extremely highly zoned, to the extent of refusing children who are out-of-zone by one street.  I have heard that they may well expect a rental agreement for at least 12 months, or title documents, to a house in the zone before they will accept an enrolment.  Too many people were using friends' addresses to get their children.

#4 claptrap

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I too have heard of the requirement to prove residency either via rates documents or rental agreement.

It has a reputation for excellence, an outstanding arts programme, but at 2000 students is an extremely large school.

OP if you are not in zone, forget it.

#5 Duechristmasday

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

I am in the zone....  

Hence wondering how much $30,000 plus per year for private school (times 5 kids) is going to get us above and beyond what is offered at Balwyn High.

edited to add, god only knows where we will find that sort of money..... we might have to sell the house and move..... hence my dilemna. Is the private school education worth that much when you have a great high school up the road?

Edited by Duechristmasday, 04 December 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#6 mum850

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

with 5 kids... would have to say NO!
Go balwyn high. If for some reason it does not work out you could move the first child and send the second plus to the private school
It would be a nightmare to pay for private for that many kids!!!

#7 Duechristmasday

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

I agree, I just cant imagine how we could possibly survive.  If we win tats on the other hand original.gif  

Could try for scholarships, but does not really solve the problem unless they all get them wink.gif  so that is out of the question.

Other option is to do years 7-10 at Balwyn and then move private for the final two years, but that's a bit mean, especially if they enjoy it there.

#8 wonder woman

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Divvy @ 04/12/2012, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Academically brilliant.

Community-wise ... not so awesome.  

The reality is that a certain cultural group have bought up a lot of the area and send their children to that school.  Whilst I have no issue with that, unfortunately it seems that a lot of that cultural group are highly academic-focused without considering how well-rounded the students should be.

+1

QUOTE (Duechristmasday @ 05/12/2012, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could try for scholarships, but does not really solve the problem unless they all get them wink.gif  so that is out of the question.

Why out of the question?  I would always try for them.  Accepting an offer is another matter, but having all your kids go to the same school, whilst perhaps not ideal for some, is not necessary.

Other option is to do years 7-10 at Balwyn and then move private for the final two years, but that's a bit mean, especially if they enjoy it there.

They could also apply to go to the selective Melb High and MacRob for yrs 9-12.

#9 unicycle

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Gosh, if i had five kids and lived in the BLwyn HS zone, I would consider that equal to winning tats lotto. I would be out celebrating. And i'd get to live in an awesome area. For me, a no- brainer- BHS. I am guessing it is not just me jealous of your dilemma. biggrin.gif

#10 Betty_D

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

If I was in your position, it would be a no-brainer.

You have five children, and you happen to live in the zone of one of the best (private or otherwise) schools in Melbourne. I would be thanking my lucky stars!

If, down the track, you find that it's not quite the right fit for your children, then obviously you can reconsider it. But many, many people lie and cheat to be in your very fortunate position!

#11 kadoodle

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Are your kids artistically or musically inclined?  Balwyn High is the creme de la creme for both.  Except for Eltham High, but we won't touch on that *cough* southstreet *cough*

#12 somila

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Duechristmasday @ 05/12/2012, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, I just cant imagine how we could possibly survive.  If we win tats on the other hand original.gif  

If they love it and are doing well, why move them after Year 10?  I'm in another state, but my experience is that there are communities within the broader community (music, sport, citizenship programs, environmental groups) and you can be as connected or disconnected as you choose to be in any school.  Give it a go, embrace the school and see what happens.

#13 Duechristmasday

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thank you everyone who has responded, it is so much appreciated and valued.

I think I am 95% there in sending them to Balwyn High.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.