Got told by doctor to go to hospital.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jadeerebecca

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

If only it were that easy.
I have no one to watch DS, The hospital is an hour away.
My dad works away and my sister cant take time off work as she needs the money for rent, ect.

Sometimes being a single Mum Really really sucks!
Ive been told my ear infection is getting worse, i have tonsillitis and a chest infection.
On top of that i suffer from epilepsy which after 2 years is trying hard to make a return to my weak and painful body.

#2 papilio

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Can your sister have him overnight (presuming she works during the day) you admit yourself over night and you discharge yourself in time to pick him up before she leaves for work?

I know that Families SA (like DOCS) will arrange temporary foster placements for children whose parents are unable to care for them due to being in hospital, but I really hope it wouldn't come to that for you, if you have family around.

#3 Coffeegirl

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Call the hospital and see if they can assist with care options for your DS.  

You need to get yourself well, so you can give your DS the best care.

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Does you son attend childcare or family day care? I was told (in NSW) that childcare centres just have to ring DOCS to be allowed to go over the child limits if there is a family emergency.

#5 Jadeerebecca

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

I live in north queensland and i dont know about anything like that.
I would hate to send DS to a foster home as i went as a young child and have bad memories.

Sister works at night and day time as it is a pub.
I dont know anyone in town that could watch him.
Im thinking antibiotics and pain killers will have to do.

#6 niggles

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Where are you? There is a 24 hour daycare centre in Melville and I know slmeone who has used it with positive reports. Could that be an option? I'll look up the contact details for you and repost.

#7 Roobear

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Call the hospital and sort something out.... if you don't you really run the risk of becoming even more ill and actually having no choice but to go to hospital and being there for even longer than your original stay would have been.

Hope you feel better soon.

#8 mitty82

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

If I didnt have to work I would take him for you. I live in Rocky.

Im sure big w will organise delivery but think it does cost about $50 if I remember from when we got something delivered.

#9 Frockme

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Coffeegirl @ 03/12/2012, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Call the hospital and see if they can assist with care options for your DS.  

You need to get yourself well, so you can give your DS the best care.

Yep, you need to call the hospital and explain the situation. If you get worse the decision on where your boy is looked after may need to be taken out of your hands.

Look after yourself, for your boys sake!

There is always a solution you just have to get on the phone and start asking questions.  original.gif

#10 mitty82

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

I would go to the hospital, they do have social workers etc who may be able to find a fdc who can do emergency care etc

#11 biccyfish

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I agree with Coffeegirl. Call the hospital and find out what options they have, otherwise just take him with you with a DVD player/DS/Ipod or whatever will keep him happy. Nursing staff would handle this kind of thing all the time...

Hope you feel better soon!!

#12 Domestic Goddess

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'm a sole parent, so DS has no father. Recently with my mother in hospital and my father with a very very sore back, I was desperate.
DS goes to daycare twice a week, but whenever I need to do something urgent, it always happens on non daycare days.

So I did something that took me a lot of convincing to. I rang DoCS and asked for assistance. They're not just there to take kids off you or to "spy" on you. This is something I used to think for a long time, hence why I needed a lot of convincing before contacting them.
But now I have a really nice caseworker and whenever I have an emergency, I can call her and she comes over to watch DS for me. (Between 9 and 5 ofcourse DOH!).
DS calls her the "donut lady". I wonder why lol!

Anyway, I would suggest giving DoCS a call as they can definitely offer respite and temporary care for if a single/sole parent is in hospital.

May I ask where his father is? Can he take care of him at all?

#13 Jadeerebecca

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies,
I will be ringing the hosptial in the morning to find out what they can do to help!

As for me, I will be heading to bed now for some much needed sleep which i wont get. sad.gif

#14 Jadeerebecca

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Domestic Goddess @ 03/12/2012, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May I ask where his father is? Can he take care of him at all?

DS's Father decided just after he was born that he wanted nothing to do with bub and I.
I havent heard from him since and to be honest, im really glad. He became a emotional abuser that put me in a deep depression for months.

#15 Emily of New Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

I wonder if the hospital would allow your son to stay with you if you explain the situation?  I know it is a different situation, but when I've had to stay in hospital, each time I've been allowed to have DD room with me.  In my situation DD is still a baby and I am breastfeeding.  Strictly speaking, I am the patient and DD was just a boarder, but the nurses were so lovely that they helped me look after her too.  Could be worth a shot to enquire?  If not, the hospital might be able to make other suggestions?

Good luck OP ... I hope you get well soon.

#16 whatnamenow

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

( preface this post with I am a FDC educator so biased)  

But please consider ringing and asking about FDC.  In emergency situations we can go over the no more than 23 hours of care at a time rule They can also in certain circumstances pay more CCB than the 24 or 50 hours you may have..  I have had kids with my family for a whole week once when a single mum had to travel to get hospital treatment. Made it so the kids lives werent disrupted.

Best thing is that once you find one you like and use them once, then you know that whenever this happens again your kids can go somewhere they know and that your happy with.

#17 opethmum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

I would call your dad and get him to come home (unless he is in the defence forces, then please ignore the following), surely he would be able to get carers leave from his place of employment. Don't think your father won't help out in your hour of need. It may just be for a few days and then he can return to his workplace.

If you need to take him to hospital with you, then do so. I am sure that the hospital social workers will be able to organise care for him. I know you said your sister needs to work but surely she would be able to receive some sort of assistance.

#18 Atomac

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Contact the hospital. I know in WA I was hired by the hospital as a nanny for a single mum who needed to spend a few days in hospital and the hospital put us up in a hotel for a few nights.

#19 Lilymoon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

My heart goes out to you and i hope you can find some services to assist you.

It is sad to hear that mother is in this situation in Australia and I just hope the govt is

spending money the right way.

Our taxes should be paying to look after someone in your cirucumstance and I wish you a speedy recovery

#20 Jadeerebecca

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Good News.
Dads coming home today from work (Works 4 -5 hours away in the mines)
Hes going to be watching DS while i go into the hospital.

Feel horrible today,
Its humid and 40 degrees.

Cold showers arent helping.

#21 trebambinibelli

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

That's good that you can get your father to come and help.  If the Dr says you need to go to hospital, you must be very ill, so hospital is the best place for you.  Take care and I hope you're feeling better really soon.  Single parent + being sick does suck!

#22 niggles

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Glad to hear it. Hope you are on the mend soon.

#23 *JAC*

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Don't know why you didn't take your son with you - how do you know if they'll even admit you? Pretty sure they wouldn't have sent your son on his merry way if you were admitted!

#24 papilio

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

That's good news original.gif I hope you are feeling better soon.

#25 FeralDancesHere

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'd take DS to the hospital with me, and I have done in the past.

My local hospital has an enclosed childrens area that is viewable from the reception area that they use when kids can not be with their parents for a short period.

I assume if longer supervision was required they would need to contact DOCS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.